TD albums we don't care for?

sparrow
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD albums we don't care for?

Post by sparrow »

Of all the ones I own there are only a few I don't really like.

Off the top of my head .. Deadly Care, Dead Solid Perfect, Alpha Centauri although I like Fly & Collision on that one.

I own most of their albums and the three I mentioned are maybe the only ones that haven't sun for a long time.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

There are a few albums in my collection that haven't been played much, but that's mainly because I keep returning to the Virgin years. The ones I play least are from the 90's, but I've found at least one track I really like on just about every TD album I own. The latest TD offerings have me feeling like I did back in the 70's/80's and I eagerly await the next release!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I forgot to mention Ambient Monkeys. I agree Mick most TD albums contain something of interest.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

sparrow wrote:I forgot to mention Ambient Monkeys. I agree Mick most TD albums contain something of interest.
I love Ambient monkeys, because it reminds me of the build-up to concerts I went to in the late eighties / early nineties... although I conceed one perhaps should have been there to appreciate this.

My two stinkers are Rockoon and Destination Berlin, although either of these can surprise me when I listen to tracks in isolation.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
endorphin

Post by endorphin »

For me, the TD albums that get played the least are "Inferno" and "Phaedra 2005". Regarding the former, I've tried a few times to get into this but on the whole I find it quite inaccessible although there may be signs of progress there at last! As for the latter, I'm sure this argument must have been done to death already but I just don't think it adds anything to or improves the original. Even if, however, it's taken as a reinterpretation then IMO it's like passing off a rough scribble and a few splats of paint as a "reinterpretation" of Constable's "The Haywain".

In fairness though, I don't think I "hate" either of these particularly, I would instead label them as TD albums that "get played the least".
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

For me there are only some soundtrack albums I don't like although in most cases TD weren't responsible for the release: "Deadly Care" and "Catch Me If You Can" are the CDs I never play at all (although I'm glad I own the CDs as I don't like the impression of having missed something :wink: ). And "Zoning" is quite hard to like although there are some tracks on it that are interesting in isolation.
Chris Monk

Re: TD albums we don't care for?

Post by Chris Monk »

sparrow wrote:Off the top of my head .. Deadly Care, Dead Solid Perfect, Alpha Centauri although I like Fly & Collision on that one.
Those would be my choices and maybe Three O'clock High as well. To be fair to TD though they probably ddn't have much to do with the release of the soundtracks.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I don't suspect TD were involved in creating many of the soundtrack CDs. Sometimes these CDs work however, e.g. "Near Dark" or "The Park Is Mine", but sometimes they don't. "Three O' Clock High" is another CD that doesn't work for me either, I think I only listened to this one one or two times in total.
I must confess I like "Dead Solid Perfect", but the short pieces should have been edited differently into longer compositions.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

MrCox wrote:I don't suspect TD were involved in creating many of the soundtrack CDs. Sometimes these CDs work however, e.g. "Near Dark" or "The Park Is Mine", but sometimes they don't. "Three O' Clock High" is another CD that doesn't work for me either, I think I only listened to this one one or two times in total.
I must confess I like "Dead Solid Perfect", but the short pieces should have been edited differently into longer compositions.
I find Dead Solid Perfect annoying. You're just getting into a great piece of music and it finishes. As you so rightly say it's a shame TD weren't allowed to work the material up into longer pieces.

I also love The Park is Mine despite the quality of the recording, there's some quite outrageous distortion in parts. It would be nice to have the recordings from the original master tapes released.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

You're right about "Dead Solid Perfect", but I like it nevertheless. :)
The distortion on "Park" IS annoying, but the music is so great I don't bother about that too much.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

The only CD that I avoid consciously is Destination Berlin, which is a collection of muzak. Horrible. Otherwise, I normally find at least one track on any album that i like.

Catch Me If You Can, though is a poor soundtrack. I like Three O'Clock High but is an erratically constructed album. Being on Varese Sarabande, I'm not surprised. Being a collector of soundtracks, their output was odd in the eighties. The worst put together was the Road Warrior music by Brian "I wasn't in Queen" May.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Chris Monk wrote:I find Dead Solid Perfect annoying. You're just getting into a great piece of music and it finishes. As you so rightly say it's a shame TD weren't allowed to work the material up into longer pieces.
I agree about DSP, but the title track is just SOOOO good, it more than makes up for it imho. Also, Blue Dawn went some way to develop some of the DSP themes, kind of hinting at what the album could have been.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

On the Silva Screen compilations if i remember rightly the DSP tracks have been put together as a suite about 14mins long.
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
timer

Post by timer »

I don't like anything about from Rumplestiltskin & Deadly Care !!!! :lol:
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I dont care for ZEIT any more :shock:
...The wise.....are silent.....