TD albums we don't care for?

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

Dante:

Inferno : easy listening and ok

Purgatorio: very satisfying and almost great

Paradiso : excellent cover art and concept : everything else - :x
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:Dante:

Inferno : easy listening and ok

Purgatorio: very satisfying and almost great

Paradiso : excellent cover art and concept : everything else - :x

Must agree BM.............Purgatorio was the best of the Dante series IMHO :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

Purgatorio - there is some great sequencer tracks on there ,mainly Jerome's work I think.
endorphin

Post by endorphin »

I've got Paradiso on order and it'll be interesting to hear how it shapes up. Certainly I found Inferno quite hard going at first but Purgatorio I really liked (and it only cost me £5, thank you Fopp!).
HarryPotter No7

Post by HarryPotter No7 »

Have to agree about Paradiso, funnily enough the intro on the very first track does sound pretty good for about the first 30 seconds but then transcends into a nightmare for me. It's a shame as the album cover, it being a 2-disc release and the stage set up they did for it's premiere were very impressive - Purgatorio and Inferno were quite good albums in my opinion for the type of music they were.

It will get a second listen someday.........

I can tell you my all time worst TD track is 'Spanish Love' from the album 'Rockoon', an album which I still think today is absolutely superb apart from this little stinker of a track.

Other than than, they're perfect :-)
Last edited by HarryPotter No7 on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:Paradiso.

I found the first listening virtually painful to listen to. A bit after that, I thought it would be fair to give it another listen.

I only lasted a few tracks.

Brutal. :-(

Another [dis]honorable mention would be Catch Me if You Can.

What's funny, with albums like Destination Berlin, although it's not good, sometimes I'm in the mood for cheese and it kind of hits the spot!
Paradiso must go down in TD history as THE most disappointing album in their history. I thought Purgatorio was phenomenal and had the highest hopes that Paradiso would continue that way. Sadly, I gave this album 7 complete listenings (what a painful weekend that was) and could not find ANYTHING that made it redeemable. Truly shocking.
How does it compare to Ambient Monkeys and TransSiberia? :wink:
Phaedra 05
Ambient Monkeys
TransSiberia
Hollywood Years 1 & 2
Paradiso

all pure unadulterated USDA Grade A inspected Dribble.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

rattymouse wrote:
Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote: Paradiso must go down in TD history as THE most disappointing album in their history. I thought Purgatorio was phenomenal and had the highest hopes that Paradiso would continue that way. Sadly, I gave this album 7 complete listenings (what a painful weekend that was) and could not find ANYTHING that made it redeemable. Truly shocking.
Phaedra 05
Ambient Monkeys
TransSiberia
Hollywood Years 1 & 2
Paradiso

brutal!!!!!!

but true :o
...The wise.....are silent.....
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

rattymouse wrote:
Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote: Paradiso must go down in TD history as THE most disappointing album in their history. I thought Purgatorio was phenomenal and had the highest hopes that Paradiso would continue that way. Sadly, I gave this album 7 complete listenings (what a painful weekend that was) and could not find ANYTHING that made it redeemable. Truly shocking.
Phaedra 05
Ambient Monkeys
TransSiberia
Hollywood Years 1 & 2
Paradiso

Much of the Hollywood Years are pretty bad - however - one of the discs contains the track Fairfax, which I consider to be one of the band's absolute best.

Give it a whirl. I'd be curious to know what everyone thinks of it.
timer

Post by timer »

Yes Fairfax does spring to mind from these ,probably very lucrative recording. But they can be hardly be classed as proper CDs more a compilation, and there's plenty of crappy one's of those about !
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

timer wrote:Yes Fairfax does spring to mind from these ,probably very lucrative recording. But they can be hardly be classed as proper CDs more a compilation, and there's plenty of crappy one's of those about !
And despite the sleeve stating that they are all Jerome and Edgar works (ie. 90s), the track Riding the Lizard Overland sounds straight out of the mid-80s (ala Heartbreakers). Also a fave track of mine from that collection.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Beaubourg wrote:
timer wrote:Yes Fairfax does spring to mind from these ,probably very lucrative recording. But they can be hardly be classed as proper CDs more a compilation, and there's plenty of crappy one's of those about !
And despite the sleeve stating that they are all Jerome and Edgar works (ie. 90s), the track Riding the Lizard Overland sounds straight out of the mid-80s (ala Heartbreakers). Also a fave track of mine from that collection.
I do feel a little sorry for TD with regard to the Hollywood Years. Had they said to the fan-base we've got 30 tracks from films but we aren't going to release them because they are of dubious quality, the fan-base would have gone ballistic. As it was they released them and got a drubbing.

Having said that, among all the dross there are some very good tracks. Can't name them at the moment 'cos I'm not at home. Unfortunately the ratio of dross to diamonds is quite high.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Chris Monk wrote:
Beaubourg wrote:
I do feel a little sorry for TD with regard to the Hollywood Years. Had they said to the fan-base we've got 30 tracks from films but we aren't going to release them because they are of dubious quality, the fan-base would have gone ballistic. As it was they released them and got a drubbing.

Having said that, among all the dross there are some very good tracks. Can't name them at the moment 'cos I'm not at home. Unfortunately the ratio of dross to diamonds is quite high.
I wish true fans would temper their requests for endless product from TD. No one, but no one can produce master piece after master piece. Every note that flows from the house of Froese is not perfection. Fewer artists could use a good editor than TD. It is my opinion that you could cull a huge percentage of TD's output and INCREASE their legacy.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

rattymouse wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
Beaubourg wrote: And despite the sleeve stating that they are all Jerome and Edgar works (ie. 90s), the track Riding the Lizard Overland sounds straight out of the mid-80s (ala Heartbreakers). Also a fave track of mine from that collection.

I wish true fans would temper their requests for endless product from TD. No one, but no one can produce master piece after master piece. Every note that flows from the house of Froese is not perfection. Fewer artists could use a good editor than TD. It is my opinion that you could cull a huge percentage of TD's output and INCREASE their legacy.
I agree with you there rattymouse. Only problem is, who does the chopping. Thing is, I've heard people rave about tracks that I consider poor at best and conversely I've received a drubbing for liking something that most other fans think is dross. It's one of those things that TD just can't win at.
JD

Post by JD »

Chris Monk wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: I do feel a little sorry for TD with regard to the Hollywood Years. Had they said to the fan-base we've got 30 tracks from films but we aren't going to release them because they are of dubious quality, the fan-base would have gone ballistic. As it was they released them and got a drubbing.

I agree with you there rattymouse. Only problem is, who does the chopping. Thing is, I've heard people rave about tracks that I consider poor at best and conversely I've received a drubbing for liking something that most other fans think is dross. It's one of those things that TD just can't win at.
I think that nobody but the artist should be doing any chopping or editing. Its wrong to take the work of a composer and give it somebody else to interpret it as *they* see it.

Having said that, I do think TD could do with the occasional honest neutral opinion about certain projects. I do wonder if sometimes Edgar gets carried away reading the views of the die hard fans (often known as apologists) who listen and struggle with music until they either grow to like it, or convince themselves they do, so in Edgars eyes he has an audience for whatever he chooses to release.

Its fair enough that TD can say 'if you dont like it, dont buy it' ...thats true, but I think there is a little too much self indulgence in releasing everything they ever write (edgars 'pages from a musical diary' comments), and I wish they would also consider the legacy of the TD name more as I think the last 15-20 years have cheapened the TD legend in many peoples eyes.
"I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them". - George Bush
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

If I can add my tuppence worth - TD have thankfully been around for 40 years and it's amazing that Edgar can still keep going. I suspect it's Thorsten who's really provided a new muse for them to pursue.

Perhaps the reason for the lack of older material being released is living in the states right now, so Edgar has had to find what he could from the post '88 period and, as we all know, this period's output polarises opinion... The man's a human being who needs to earn a living and it must be difficult adjusting to a smaller audience after the huge tours of the seventies and eighties - I still want to spend money on music and plays fantastically equipment as if I was earning my single man's salary.......

I don't know any of the late nineties output and, from what you guys are saying, I'm not sure I need to, but Phaedra '05 is the one I now ask "WHY?" as it's so unsympathetically composed and played - I actually prefer the version on TD plays TD, at least there're some good pads to give some atmosphere..

None of you will agree, but some parts of Encore I still don't like, much prefering the condensed brilliance that is Ricochet, a CD I play very often...