SWSIS

Hobo
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:I still like, ah sod it, love all three tracks (in my full play BM mode), it's the finest EP TD have ever produced, they might have done the odd great track in the past, but all of the 3 tracks work together on this disc . They might be remixes and they might hark back to the 80's (or 70's?) but....compositionally from the bottom to the top they show TD on top form, able to add something new without destroying the original track, ladies and gentlemen Tangentising is dead....long live TD!.
Agreed. This is certainly their best ep and ranks right up there with the classics. EF has surpassed himself with this release! :D :P 8) :arrow:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:as ever...top man!

but how de eff did tangentising not get cen sored :arrow:
it's not the word that needs censoring, it's the prat who invented the word :twisted:

np.MFD remixed by Conrad Schnitzler (the Flaming Con mix)

:lol: :!:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

A review...of sorts :)

http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... eping.html

Tangerine Dream at the Astoria London April 20th 2007:
Sleeping Watches Snoring in Silence EP

01. Hyper Sphinx
It shouldn’t come as total surprise that this is a remix of Sphinx Lightning (from the album Hyperborea). Now that track is my least favourite on the whole album, and whilst it had some nice ideas and (for the time) some new sounds (care of the Emulator I and Yamaha DX7), it never (IMHO) developed into anything interesting, always lacking a strong central theme, a new twist or killer climax. So it comes as a total surprise to me that I like this new version so much. It was certainly the outstanding track from TD’s recent concert in London (going by fan comments after the gig). Okay, so a brief description. It starts with the usual DX7 bell and white noise bursts of the orginal. In fact, little seems to have been changed, bar some panning or phasing of the later. Descending bells take the track into a plodding drum rhythm, but this time some subtle synth has been added…but this isn’t what most fans have come to expect from Edgar, this time the sounds have been carefully chosen and they ‘generally’ fit with not only the overall character of the track, but also with the era it was recorded. A few seconds and the full rhythm kicks-in at a higher tempo, with a driving sequence and pumped-up drums. Over this Edgar adds some great vocoder vocal samples (the last time you heard this it was probably on the Keep soundtrack), not only adding to the rhythmic force but also creating a melody of sorts, on and on until a burst of white noise sounds, with strident chords and the volume builds again, with some great analog and PPG synth bursts, and it’s here that the track starts to turn onto a different tack, but still with the sequencer and drums carrying everything forward underneath. The melody is repeated several times, and then the drums die away, leaving a modulated trill, over lush drawn-out chords that slip across the soundscape, and just when you think you’ve heard everything this track has to offer then Edgar hits you with some fantastic electric guitar. Totally in keeping with the rest of the track and yet there’s nothing retro about it, he draws from and adds to the flute-like synth melody of the original, laid back and heart-felt, it’s Edgar at his best. The guitar dies away and a new rhythm starts, with some new bass accompaniment, and then the looping drums kick back in again and a synth repeats to fade. Just stunning, it deserves to be in every fans collection.

02. Lady Monk
Powerful drums introduce a strong sequence, with rubbery pitch bent notes taken from the track Zen Garden (from the album Le Parc; as played (in a remixed form) during TD’s 1986 tour), but this time Edgar adds some extra layers over the fairly static central sequence. Nothing seems to develop, but it still holds your interest, as new and old sounds fade in and out, one moment a choir pad, a synth phrase, or plucked melody might sound before falling away.

03. Sleeping Watches Snoring in Silence
So something new from Edgar this time, but definitely with a hint of TD in the 1980’s. A rippling sequence circles round as echoing notes are added or phased and then the track takes another twist as a distant voice-like patch plays. A low choir note states the key changes, giving a far darker edge. On and on until everything dies away leaving just an odd little plucked melody, with a scrapping guitar in the background. The sequence and choir return with a few speeded up notes and trills. Three huge drum hits and it’s over. A really interesting track, not exactly ground breaking, but with a few new twists and turns to keep your interest.

Overall I found this to be TD’s (or should that be Edgar’s?) most consistent EP/CD singles ever. It’s a must have and ‘no’ fan should be without it, regardless of what era or lineup you prefer.
Last edited by 24db on Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Good stuff Andy..............cheers :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

Can't wait to get my copy......... 8)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

That's an excellent review Andy and a very accurate account!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Cheers chaps...I always like reviewing stuff I like, can't see the point of wasting effort on stuff I don't
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

im back for a minute

top review andy

I will write a BM dalinian version

maybe :wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Perfect Andy. Sums it up nicely.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Perfect Andy. Sums it up nicely.
cheers Chris, not exactly perfect, as obviously you can't really put music into words, so it's just an opinion
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Great review Andy :-) "Rubbery pitch bent notes" - what a perfect description. I reckon we should compile a glossary of terms for TD's sounds... things like this and the 'Alien Seagull'...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:Great review Andy :-) "Rubbery pitch bent notes" - what a perfect description. I reckon we should compile a glossary of terms for TD's sounds... things like this and the 'Alien Seagull'...
Well how would describe a sound that goes BOINGOOOooooooooooow! ?

;)

cheers mate
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
billythefish wrote:Great review Andy :-) "Rubbery pitch bent notes" - what a perfect description. I reckon we should compile a glossary of terms for TD's sounds... things like this and the 'Alien Seagull'...

;)

cheers mate
:lol: :lol: Rubbery :arrow: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:

;)

cheers mate
:lol: :lol: Rubbery :arrow: :wink:
I rest my case ;)
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

:D :D Postie delivered mine today. Just fired it through the HiFi. Andy's review is spot on. Totally AWESOME tracks, and, surely their best EP so far. :D :D