SWSIS

rattymouse
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by rattymouse »

DSJR wrote:Finally got to play this just now and I echo the positive vibes about it. I think the return to a more atmospheric vibe is still a bit cautious and I'd love for them to fo a bit further.

Many thanks to Edgar (and Thorsten) for allowing us not at the concert to buy this disc. It would be great if the earlier limited editions could be made available on download or something.....
What the hell is the point to limited editions?? Could someone explain to me why it is a good thing to keep music out of people's hands? Really, someone explain this.
24db

Post by 24db »

JD wrote:I listened to this with headphones last night away from the noise of life and it was then I realised that this is actually ...really, a complete-from the ground up remix, I had wondered if they would just add layers to the CD, alla Melrose years, but this sounds like they had the original multi track masters to hand, or even just replayed the whole thing with most of the original sounds.
Now I've heard this its like a whole new respect for TD has come to the forth once again, like welcoming a dear old friend back into my house ;)

Which track was Lady Monk based on ? I know there's sounds from Zen Garden but i've heard a similar version of this in one of the live CDs ?

Edgar, if you read this ...please give me more :) if you're taking the time to remix things so well rather than adding sounds over the top of the CD then my walllet is open and waiting impatiently:)

I should also mention the new track which is also a classic !!!! I think Thorsten is givin me back the TD I love.
Very good point JD
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

JD wrote:, or even just replayed the whole thing with most of the original sounds.
That's how it sounds to me. They went into the studio with all the old sounds and just recreated the old track. Can't imagine for a moment that Virgin would let them have the masters.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

rattymouse wrote:
DSJR wrote:Finally got to play this just now and I echo the positive vibes about it. I think the return to a more atmospheric vibe is still a bit cautious and I'd love for them to fo a bit further.

Many thanks to Edgar (and Thorsten) for allowing us not at the concert to buy this disc. It would be great if the earlier limited editions could be made available on download or something.....
What the hell is the point to limited editions?? Could someone explain to me why it is a good thing to keep music out of people's hands? Really, someone explain this.
I suppose some of these ep's are tasters to gain public opinion; souvenirs like a badge or poster. THIS one though deserves to be kept in the catalogue, cos it's AMAZING!!!!! - D'yer hear me Edgar?????
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

DSJR wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I suppose some of these ep's are tasters to gain public opinion; souvenirs like a badge or poster. THIS one though deserves to be kept in the catalogue, cos it's AMAZING!!!!! - D'yer hear me Edgar?????
Quite a few of the tracks on the limited edition CDs tend to find their way on to general releases eventually.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

rattymouse wrote:

I think we all know that limited editions are generally a marketing ploy, designed to part us from our hard earned. I too, find them annoying, as they inflate prices and create undesirable exclusivity. It would therefore appear, I am unable to answer your question, Tom.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote:

I think we all know that limited editions are generally a marketing ploy, designed to part us from our hard earned. I too, find them annoying, as they inflate prices and create undesirable exclusivity. It would therefore appear, I am unable to answer your question, Tom.
that's Pete Namlook's entire career wiped out then ;)...I've never had a problem with limited editions as I'm normally the winner who buys them first. My problem is with re-issues and remasters that add nothing bar fancy artwork and NEW digital artifacts, like clipping and gltiches....I've sussed that one for what it is and jumped ship.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
rattymouse wrote: What the hell is the point to limited editions?? Could someone explain to me why it is a good thing to keep music out of people's hands? Really, someone explain this.
that's Pete Namlook's entire career wiped out then ;)...I've never had a problem with limited editions as I'm normally the winner who buys them first. My problem is with re-issues and remasters that add nothing bar fancy artwork and NEW digital artifacts, like clipping and gltiches....I've sussed that one for what it is and jumped ship.
I still buy Ltd. Editions, but not because they're limited. It's all about the quality of the music and not how many copies there are. TD aren't too bad with their limited runs, as they still tend to print more than they will sell (thankfully).
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

limited schlimited

dunna matter when the music is as good as swsis.....its now also legendary
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Hobo wrote: I think we all know that limited editions are generally a marketing ploy, designed to part us from our hard earned. I too, find them annoying, as they inflate prices and create undesirable exclusivity. It would therefore appear, I am unable to answer your question, Tom.
I still buy Ltd. Editions, but not because they're limited. It's all about the quality of the music and not how many copies there are. TD aren't too bad with their limited runs, as they still tend to print more than they will sell (thankfully).

of course not...it has to be about the music
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

[quote="24db] My problem is with re-issues and remasters that add nothing bar fancy artwork and NEW digital artifacts, like clipping and gltiches....I've sussed that one for what it is and jumped ship.[/quote]

The thing is, these days this shouldn't happen at all - look what TD did with the cassette of the Invisible Limits remix - it sounds superb...

I just get annoyed that I just "have" to get the latest versions of certain artists work, as these discs have meant so much to me - I'm thinking of Steve Hillage and Alan Parsons at present (I did the Virgin TD remasters some years ago). New technology and better quality masters (owned by the band often) really can improve things to a huge degree, as these recordings now get the same love and care (by independant engineers often) that all the fifties jaz recordings did some years ago.

Clipping and glitches - are you referring to another synth "God" by any chance? I've avoided his releases until something is done about it...
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

At the very least the Limited EP gives a taster of what is around the corner, wetting the appetite so to speak, by the enthusiasm for track 3 it as been a good exercise.
Jerome's Ep as gone down a storm so a good marketing ploy it might be but it works.

I happy if the principle if there is at least some unreleased material involved.

as far as track 3 is concerned it is simply Majestic :D
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

alipaul wrote:At the very least the Limited EP gives a taster of what is around the corner, wetting the appetite so to speak, by the enthusiasm for track 3 it as been a good exercise.
Jerome's Ep as gone down a storm so a good marketing ploy it might be but it works.

I happy if the principle if there is at least some unreleased material involved.

as far as track 3 is concerned it is simply Majestic :D
Spot on Darren :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I reckon one of the reasons behind limited editions is simply the way CDs are pressed and manufactured. They tend to be pressed in batches of 1,000 or so in order to be economical. Therefore, if the Ep or whatever is just being released for a specific concert, it would be uneconomical to press more.

These limited items are hardly rare or valuable... they are usually sold through the usual outlets for months or even years after their release, and rarely fetch more than £15 - £20 on E-bay.

Ironically, the true rarities and limited numbers were never intended to be in the first place - like the Flashpoint CD, L'Affaire Walraff, The Keep etc.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

bigmoog wrote:limited schlimited

dunna matter when the music is as good as swsis.....its now also legendary
Does it matter if you cant get a copy of a limited edition? Or do you still feel the same way?