CODENAME: THE SOLDIER - O.S.T. - A PLEA FOR RELEASE

32 years + counting
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

CODENAME: THE SOLDIER - O.S.T. - A PLEA FOR RELEASE

Post by 32 years + counting »

Dear TD / Edgar,

Reading an interview from your recent Australian shows it seems like the clock is ticking towards the end of the greatest musical adventure I've ever had the privilege to hear / be involved with.

Well, who amongst us fans could even begin to complain? 157 albums! 47 years? Outrageous and wonderful!

But I'm writing to please ask that just a few more might finally make it into our collections, and I start with no. 158.....

CODENAME : THE SOLDIER is for me the greatest unreleased TD soundtrack, and the last from the superb Johannes era. Granted several parts appear elsewhere in various forms, notably on WAVELENGTH and LOGOS, but what an absolute treat it would be to finally have this in its complete form. (The music that accompanies the scene of the assassin filling the light bulb with petrol is one of my absolute all-time favourite TD pieces....just so down and dirty and f**k you!!)

I know all too well the horrendous copyright issues involved with film companies.....but as far as I'm aware director James Glickenhaus is now a stock-broker, so I very much doubt he would have any issues. And the film is 32 years old, and of so little interest to TV companies that they never show it anymore.

But to us fans it's something so special. Given that THE PARK IS MINE managed to have a release - albeit under slightly weird circumstances - I hope this can too.

Maybe just a fan / website only affair, but I'm sure I speak for many that we'd just love it.

The bootlegs are all rubbish, and benefit no-one but the bootleggers.

I very much hope to hear your thoughts on this.

Yours,
32 Years and Counting
UK
(make that 38 years...)
mikewp

Re: CODENAME: THE SOLDIER - O.S.T. - A PLEA FOR RELEASE

Post by mikewp »

A nice, reasonable, passionate request.

It would indeed be a wonderful release to have on disc.

But we can say the same thing for various unreleased or under-represented TD film scores.

Legend has a paltry ( roughly ) 30 minutes on the old MCA album/ Varese CD, and the score is almost wall to wall. And The Keep...well, that is it's own nightmare. LaLaLand Records has said due to various reasons, do NOT expect that to be released anytime soon. The TDI album - respectfully - has little to do with the actual film score. But it does seem that BSX Records is working on a re-recording ( not confirmed but there have been very strong hints ) , which we can hope will be as successful as their Blade Runner or John Carpenter re-recordings.

Wavelength has the recent, wonderful LaLaLand CD , but it doesn't appear to have been a huge seller, so they may not pursue other TD scores.

It'd be nice to have a double disc set featuring highlights from things like Red Heat, Rainbow Drive, etc. I know there are the Hollywood Years albums but was there ever a definitive list of the films represented ?

Flashpoint's score seems to have been cut and pasted again and again, the out of print CD is a more cohesive listen than what ended up onscreen.
Jon

Post by Jon »

The track Riding The Lizard Overland from The Hollywwod Years Volume 2 is actually the end credits from Red Heat.

That's all I know about those tracks...
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

If the rest of the soundtrack is anything like the main title track (the only piece I have ever heard), then I, too, would welcome a release of The Soldier. As I recall, the film came out near the end of the 1980s, near the tail end of the band's heyday. Some really good sounds came from that era, and I would love to have my very own copy to listen to again and again.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

32 years + counting wrote:Dear TD / Edgar,

Reading an interview from your recent Australian shows it seems like the clock is ticking towards the end of the greatest musical adventure I've ever had the privilege to hear / be involved with.

Well, who amongst us fans could even begin to complain? 157 albums! 47 years? Outrageous and wonderful!

But I'm writing to please ask that just a few more might finally make it into our collections, and I start with no. 158.....

CODENAME : THE SOLDIER is for me the greatest unreleased TD soundtrack, and the last from the superb Johannes era. Granted several parts appear elsewhere in various forms, notably on WAVELENGTH and LOGOS, but what an absolute treat it would be to finally have this in its complete form. (The music that accompanies the scene of the assassin filling the light bulb with petrol is one of my absolute all-time favourite TD pieces....just so down and dirty and f**k you!!)

I know all too well the horrendous copyright issues involved with film companies.....but as far as I'm aware director James Glickenhaus is now a stock-broker, so I very much doubt he would have any issues. And the film is 32 years old, and of so little interest to TV companies that they never show it anymore.

But to us fans it's something so special. Given that THE PARK IS MINE managed to have a release - albeit under slightly weird circumstances - I hope this can too.

Maybe just a fan / website only affair, but I'm sure I speak for many that we'd just love it.

The bootlegs are all rubbish, and benefit no-one but the bootleggers.

I very much hope to hear your thoughts on this.

Yours,
32 Years and Counting
UK
(make that 38 years...)
Oh, my friend, you might as well be asking for a miracle to happen!
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

32 years + counting wrote: [...] but as far as I'm aware director James Glickenhaus is now a stock-broker, so I very much doubt he would have any issues. [...]
*Money* is always an issue for a stock-broker. Otherwise he would have opted for a proper career.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)