QUANTUM KEY ep

redziller
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: QUANTUM KEY ep

Post by redziller »

Only listened to it recently - seemed disloyal, which is pretty daft consider EF founded the idea

Anyway, leaving aside questions of "is it really TD" it's a great release of four distinct tracks, trademark recent TD (naturally enough) and other directions.

More please!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

I'm agree with you redziller,

It is a great EP !!!

Happy new year to Tangerine Dream Team, Bianca and all fans around the world.

We love you.
François from Paris
redziller

Post by redziller »

Certainly is,

it's bugging me though Genesis of Precious Thoughts reminds of Mojave Plan and another track but I can't recall where it is grrr
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Yes, it's a great EP (too short, but we'll have Quantum Gate in a few months)...

Happy new year to the band and to all TD fans ! :D
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
exit81

Post by exit81 »

Quantum Key is the best thing TD have done in years....superb production and exciting music. This bodes really well for the future of the band.
RAYMAN1970

Post by RAYMAN1970 »

I know I am a little behind on this one, but due to PC and iPad issues, I have just recently been able to give Quantum Key a serious listen.

AMAZING.

I think Edgar would have been proud. Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko do an amazing job of keeping Edgar's artistry and spirit alive.

I was MOVED so much by this release (tears began to well up because I was reminded of Edgar) and I think it is one of the band's best efforts in quite some time.

I am now fully convinced that the band CAN continue on.

I am very much looking forward to Quantum Gate.

Peace.
boruncy

Post by boruncy »

QK is just superb. Can't stop playing it on my hi-fi (loud and seriuos). If this is the music to come then Edgar would be very proud
Ode To Granny A
pb2rdf

Post by pb2rdf »

Imo it's not the best album produced.

Had to listen several times to QK.
Now I can stay listening to the album, but it is not my favourite one.
It is more background music to me, instead music to play loud with volume to max.

Genesis Of Precious Thoughts, Electron Bonfire, Drowning In Universes is mostly composed by Edgar imo
Mirage Of Reality is composition of Thorsten, influence of PPM, at least the 2nd part.

With Edgar, Tangerine Dream is over imo, but Tangerine Dream music keeps me alive.
Imo it is better to stop producing music with label Tangerine Dream.

regards, Peter
ant

Post by ant »

:? You are entitled to your opinion of QK, of course, Peter but I cannot agree with you. I think QK is a superb release and I am very much looking forward to QG. I am also looking forward to seeing them live sometime, somewhere this year. TD very much lives on in my mind but always with a thought of Edgar. Long may TD continue, I say!! :D
Last edited by ant on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Biggus Dickus
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

More listens ....and WOW! TD are in real form. They have progressed and again have suprised me with their innovative ideas! Undoubtedly, their will be the usual dissenters longing for Chris Franke to come back and make 'real TD music' again - but to me, this is TODAY'S music !
Donofrio_TD

Quantum key (2015).

Post by Donofrio_TD »

This whole CD sounds like it's a Thorsten Quaeschning solo poject with only a few sprinkles here and there from the other musicians involved. Sounds exactly like what it is: a TQ album (or EP or what-have-you) without Edgar Froese there to refine the compositions and make them all a truly full TD endeavor, even if he left them his cliff notes. Most of these tracks sound like all TQ's tracks on Finnegans Wake mixed with maybe his own lefties from Franz Kafka's The Castle. What troubles me about this little cupdisc is that most of the music sounds like noise with no real direction whatsoever instead of a fully developed and thoughtful composition. Like Thorsten and friends are just jamming and experimenting like some nerdy band trrying to sound like the old TD but with no real idea of what that was like.

Only track that stands out is "Electron Bonfire" (the obligatory poppy and optimistic one, but at least the most TD sounding), and while Genesis Of Precious Thoughts and Drowning Universes start out both pretty good, they just can't seem to hold on and ultimately end up not kicking in at all. "Genesis..." had potential for the first 5 and a half minutes (tried to sound a bit like Phaedra and Ricochet), but the last 3 and a half minutes were quite monotonous and completely misdirected and it ended up in a "meh!" note. "Drowning..." is the same thing. You can almost say it begins with a magistral note, but it quickly turns into yet another TQ noisy mess that tries to be dramatic and even tries to end a la Wim Mertens on some of his tracks from "The Belly Of An Architect" soundtrack, but without fusing at all with the style. "Mirage Of Reality" is just more noise that begins nowhere, stays there and ends up still there.

And, seriously, what's with the overly-dramatic violin? I have no doubt that this girl knows how to play it, but every time she appears it's very anti-climatic and nothing special. It tries to build a melancholic atmosphere but it just doesn't do it for me. It's quite predictable, too, where the violin is going to enter the picture and how Hoshiko is going to play it. Not my cup of tea.

I don't necessarily mean that this EP is bad, but it just doesn't sound like TD anymore, just TQ (looks like he's become the leader of the band now). I wonder what it may have been if Peter Baumann hadn't left (again). We should be so privileged to have him!! Not an unlistenable release, but nothing memorable or astonishing or special by all means. It may not be unlikable, but will this stand the test of time or will this even make you understand memorable albums like Rubycon, Phaedra, Tangram, Poland and even those of the likes of Optical Race, Melrose, Views From A Red Train, Madcap's Flaming Duty or The Island Of The Fay? I believe not.
ant

Post by ant »

:? Doesn't sound like you were listening to the same cd as me Donofrio_TD. Maybe you just have it in your mind that without Edgar whatever you hear is not going to be TD.
That's what it sounds like to me. To me it was an excellent cd and has left me really looking forward to the upcoming Quantum Gate. It may be time for you to close the door on TD but it is not for me as I think Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko have lots to offer for the completion of the Quantum period and of the TD name. Can't wait to see them live too!! :D
Biggus Dickus
Dave Matthews

Re: Quantum key (2015).

Post by Dave Matthews »

Donofrio_TD wrote:Not an unlistenable release, but nothing memorable or astonishing or special by all means.
In my view that exactly describes the Tangerine Dream of the last 20 years...

Donofrio_TD wrote:It may not be unlikable, but will this stand the test of time
Possibly not but something *had* to change. The new material may well be "over-fluenced" by Thorsten but I'd say the TD of the last 20 years was far too encumbered by Edgar and his sadly diminishing creativity. I honestly don't think we've anything to lose by handing the proverbial ignition keys to Thorsten - give the lad a chance, I say!

The tracks on the EP do need a little more work - and hopefully they will have had when they appear on Quantum Gate. But what I'm hearing with the new TD (TQ?) material is the sort of raw energy and zest that we heard on those 1970s and 80s albums.
--

Cheers

Dave
Donofrio_TD

Post by Donofrio_TD »

ant wrote:Maybe you just have it in your mind that without Edgar whatever you hear is not going to be TD.
That's what it sounds like to me.
Well, to be honest, even when Edgar was still there for the last three years, he let many things slip through his fingers and gave Thorsten a lot of liberty. Something that maybe he hadn't done with any other bandmate he ever worked with. Why? Because he was obviously tired but he didn't want to rest at all. He just wanted to continue releasing a lot of stuff every time he could, so maybe this cupdisc would've almost been the same even if Edgar was still around... But only "almost"...

Now, I'm not saying Thorsten or any of the other musicians are untalented. I've loved them in all the other releases, especially Thorsten, who was behind many of my all-time favorite releases from the recent decades, but without Edgar there to refine things and without him giving the compositions the last touch, everything just sounds like an attempt to emulate something that isn't. Like a TD wanna-be. Because, let's face it, compared to Edgar, these guys are still in diapers. Even some things from the last 3 years or so that I didn't get into like The Castle, Josephine or Sorcerer '14 CD number 2 still had that classic TD vibe to it that made them grow on you. Hell, even Mala Kunia. Why? Because that was all Edgar froese (I believe the last good thing he released was Chandra II). But Quantum Key just falls flat, and I honestly expect the same for Quantum Gate. I listened to the preview for QK and it was good, and even then I knew what I was going to get into. Then I gave it a spin and then many other ones and it's not bad..., but for it to be carrying the name Tangerine Dream, it's certainly nothing special. Frankly, these guys do not deserve such a name. Maybe they can form another band with a different name and continue with their own projects and maybe they'll get better on their own eventually..., but this ain't no Tangerine Dream anymore. Some magic, the magic that gave it all the final essence, is lost, and I fear that quite possibly forever.

So yeah, maybe what you say is true, but even if that was the case, I have 40+ years of music with Edgar always being the mastermind behind it all to back me up, isn't that right?
Donofrio_TD

Re: Quantum key (2015).

Post by Donofrio_TD »

Dave Matthews wrote:
Donofrio_TD wrote:Not an unlistenable release, but nothing memorable or astonishing or special by all means.
In my view that exactly describes the Tangerine Dream of the last 20 years...

Donofrio_TD wrote:It may not be unlikable, but will this stand the test of time
Possibly not but something *had* to change. The new material may well be "over-fluenced" by Thorsten but I'd say the TD of the last 20 years was far too encumbered by Edgar and his sadly diminishing creativity. I honestly don't think we've anything to lose by handing the proverbial ignition keys to Thorsten - give the lad a chance, I say!

The tracks on the EP do need a little more work - and hopefully they will have had when they appear on Quantum Gate. But what I'm hearing with the new TD (TQ?) material is the sort of raw energy and zest that we heard on those 1970s and 80s albums.
Oh, yeah...? Uhmmm... No. You're seriously thinking that this EP sounds anything like the TD experimentations from the 70's or even the 80's? Maybe you don't know your TD very well, then. And what are you talking about, the last 20 years? There were many great releases during those times. I can easily name 2 or 3 in each of those 20 years.

Say what you will about Edgar Froese, but he was Tangerine Dream. He founded the band, he was the only one who stuck around, even in those times of great depression, and he ultimately died in it. No Edgar, no TD. He didn't lose any creativity, he just got tired, like we all do, and that was understandable. But even when he was tired, he still managed to leave you perplexed with his talent and masterful skills.

And I'm not saying Thorsten and co. shouldn't get their chances (they also have their own skills and talents), but somewhere else would be great. Just not as TD anymore, please.