QUANTUM KEY ep

32 years + counting
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

QUANTUM KEY ep

Post by 32 years + counting »

Forgive me if I've missed another thread about this, and should be posting elsewhere.

It took me several listens to the QUANTUM KEY ep to properly 'get it'....but now, most assuredly, get it I do.

If this is the way TD are going, then I'm right there with them, as ever.

Brilliant sound design throughout, and another nice aspect is Hoshiko's violin being more prominent in the mix. Subtle, but works really nicely I think.

Is it me, or can I hear shades of ENCORE (and even a bit of CYCLONE) at points? Has Peter Baumann's all-too-brief return rubbed off a tiny bit? (Oh man I'd love to hear what they recorded with him.)

Highlight for me is ELECTRON BONFIRE. Ranks up there with my all time favourites.

If the three stand-alone tracks are as good as this, then I'm flat-out chomping at the bit for the new album.
sorcerer

Re: QUANTUM KEY ep

Post by sorcerer »

Bloody marvellous. That,s the verdict here. Very impressed indeed.

All four tracks are really something. Special mention for Hoshiko's violin playing. Edgar certainly knew what he was doing getting her involved.

Great stuff and congratulations to all.

I am excited for the future of Tangerine Dream.
Okefenokee

Post by Okefenokee »

Totally agreed. I hope that the three will work together in the future, be it under the name of TD or not. :D
Ger-TD-Fan

Post by Ger-TD-Fan »

I received my Quantum Key EP last saturday.

It is brilliant and excellent !!!

I hope TD will continue this work.

Edgar RIP and thank you for your work, I miss you.
TDludo

Post by TDludo »

Quantum Key is an excellent EP, full of old sounds (I thought of Phaedra, Ricochet, White Eagle...) in the middle of new sounds.
And a very nice mix of Hoshiko's violin in some parts. A nice work and a very good start for the "new TD" ! :)

My only problem comes from the second track : why only 5 minutes ?? I think it's strangely short, when it could be 7 or 8 minutes with more violin (and maybe less "pop sounds")...
A new cosmic address for the Master Dreamer...
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

Quantey Key is a very good EP. A must to have !!!

the second part Mirage Of Reality is fantastic : music penetrates you and your soul !!!!

Long life to Tangerine Dream. The Dream has to continue !!!
François from Paris
Dave Matthews

Post by Dave Matthews »

WOW!!!!!!!! "Electron Bonfire" is sensational - a real return to form... and confirms in my mind that the band is (potentially) capable of not only surviving Edgar's passing but getting TD back on the right track. There is a real understanding here of what made TD so superb in the 70s and 80s: the sounds, the rhythms, the sequencing, the "progression", the sophistication... and the "thunder"!!

I'm not impressed with the other tracks on the EP but I guess they are just "filler" until the album proper is ready.

On the basis of "Electron Bonfire", though, this could be the turning point they've desperately needed for the last 20 years. I do so hope that "Quantum Gate" is a new TD album that I actually want to buy: the last one for me was in 1997 !
--

Cheers

Dave
ant

Post by ant »

:) My favourite at the moment is track 1, Genesis of Precious Thoughts. But I like it all very much and don't forget Dave Matthews, that EF was involved in the first three tracks so the one you like so much was not done without him!! :)
Biggus Dickus
Dave Matthews

Post by Dave Matthews »

Oh, hang on -I've been listening to the wrong tracks - d'oh!! Yes, I like that "Genesis Of Precious Thoughts" piece, too. :-)

Edgar might have been involved in this album but the other guys may have been improving upon it since his passing. Indeed what we're hearing now may be significantly different to how it sounded last year.
--

Cheers

Dave
ant

Post by ant »

:D Dave - I agree that Thorsten, Ulrich and Hoshiko will have added their touches to them but it does say on the cover that it is 'performed' by Edgar, Thorsten & Ulrich, so on that basis I would say that there must be an element of Edgar's input there which is still intact. Anyway, be that as it may, I still think it is an excellent release and am really looking forward to the Gate. :D
Biggus Dickus
studio308

Post by studio308 »

That part in Genesis of Precious Thoughts at 5:10-5:40 reminds of Poland transitions between parts.

The most prominent thing for me that they got rid of Edgar's plastic vocal samples and same presets that were used again and again for many years on many releases. Now this sounds like a modern Berlin School, but with a genuine TD touch. It would be a disappointment, if they are going to finish the works that were in progress only. This could be just a beginning.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

An enjoyable e.p. Some atmosphere and focus...and emotion as well...quite good :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
EricDraven

Post by EricDraven »

For me the violin is what ruined it for me, sorry, but Hoshiko should have bowed out not Peter Baumann.
Electronic music for sale at
http://www.synthnation.weebly.com
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

For me , Electron Bonfire is very good music

The sound of the violin penetrates in your soul .... :D

Long life to Tangerine Dream !!!!
François from Paris
Rubyconesque

Post by Rubyconesque »

Listened to this 3 times so far ...and it hasn't grabbed me yet .... but reading all the other comments on here gives me hope and so I will have to give it more listens and hope it takes off like it has for others. Incidentally, watching an interview with EF, CF and JS back in 1982 - Edgar quite clearly states the name Tangerine came from the Beatles track ..referring to tangerine trees, .and they just added Dream after the name......so despite he being so secretive about it later on - I think this is the definitive answer. Another interesting point was that they wanted to (supposedly!) all move to Australia and have a studio there - but the government didn't allow them to do so. Methinks this was just a pie in the sky comment though to impress the interviewer - which musician would seriously consider Australia as a place to build a musical empire?? US perhaps ...certainly not Australia - which remains still pretty much a backwater for musicians.