Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 4:16 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Oshkosh WI USA
I do, he's pretty doggone slick actually..........

_________________
http://www.myspace.com/onandstopped


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Zlakto likes his pickin'
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:06 am
Posts: 1062
Location: Westren Australia:Rockingham 6168
Agreed mate he is good But a close call between Zlakto & Gerald as he was excellent @ Tempodome in September.

8) :arrow: :!: 8) :D

Geoff

_________________
http://www.downloadplatform.com/electrocelt/
www.myspace.com/ricochet1975 Also

ElectroCelt@myspace.com
http://indielite.com/ElectroCelt


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:37 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Oslo, Norway
I suppose he has the technical part down, but I do, however, find his playing a bit boring. It's just too... academic!
Just listen to 220 Volt Live, and compare Edgar's and Jerome's soloes with Zlatko's. The two former have a lot more character.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 4:37 pm
Posts: 179
Location: Oshkosh WI USA
I would not disagree with that, but he takes the newer style and approach to guitar, perhaps like a similar style that Joe Satriani did.....

Edgar and Jerome, they are "old school" in style and substance, and character

_________________
http://www.myspace.com/onandstopped


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
I love Zlatko's playing, the only problem as far as I can see is that there just isn't enough of it. Although he's appeared on quite a few TD albums There really aren't that many tracks where he is given a free run with the guitar.

I've been lucky enough to see him play just a couple of times and he's always put on a good show. I'd also say that he is probably, thechnically speaking, the best guitarist who's played for TD unless you include Milan Polak who only ever played for them once.

He must be pretty good because my brother, who is a total guitar freak (check out his blog spot http://truthinshredding.blogspot.com/ if you don't believe me), rates him relatively highly. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
I to like Zlatko's playing,but there were parts of the Astoria concert of 2003 that were embarrasing to watch..............he was standing immediately in front of me that night,and the guitar was booming out but he hardly touched the axe................most of the parts were Gerald,s stuff (aka) Mars Polaris,but it was clear he did NOT learn the lines........
Perhaps that was not down to him and he did not have enough time to do it.................his performance at the SBE 2005 was so much more like his normal self.............GOOD :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
epsilon75 wrote:
I to like Zlatko's playing,but there were parts of the Astoria concert of 2003 that were embarrasing to watch..............he was standing immediately in front of me that night,and the guitar was booming out but he hardly touched the axe................most of the parts were Gerald,s stuff (aka) Mars Polaris,but it was clear he did NOT learn the lines........
Perhaps that was not down to him and he did not have enough time to do it.................his performance at the SBE 2005 was so much more like his normal self.............GOOD :wink:

Sadly I never made it to the Astoria in 2003, got a feeling I wasn't in the country at the time and I remember thinking that it was typical that the moment I leave the country TD fly in to play a concert. :evil:

I have to agree that Zlatko was awesome at the SBE show, it was quite a reserved performance but bang on with the music. In other words he didn't solo all over the music but what he did play was top notch.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:37 pm
Posts: 184
Location: Oslo, Norway
I suppose he sounds a bit like Satch (who is a mighty fine guitarist) from time to time. But it seems to me that Zlatko, being a professional guitarist, needs to do everything by the book, which leaves his playing without any real personal touch. And as for shredding, anyone can do it with enough practise. It's much harder to impress the listeners with a good melody based on the less-is-more/every-note-counts method, which is why Paul Kossoff† is a far superior guitarist to, lets say, Kirk Hammett. Hammett is however a good songwriter, but Zlatko has never composed for TD, so he does not really impress me any way...

But don't get me wrong here. He doesn't sound bad! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:58 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
Mephistopheles wrote:
I suppose he has the technical part down, but I do, however, find his playing a bit boring. It's just too... academic!
Just listen to 220 Volt Live, and compare Edgar's and Jerome's soloes with Zlatko's. The two former have a lot more character.


I have to agree. Zlatko is probably technically superior, but I find his style lacks warmth. Gerald's playing seems to be a little more "organic".

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
IMHO 'some' guitarists forget music is more than technique and doing a million notes a second, it's about emotion, therefore for me Edgar and Jerome's style fits TDs music much better, it's never been cold, their music is emotional. Men and women produce the music, not the technology.

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
24db wrote:
IMHO 'some' guitarists forget music is more than technique and doing a million notes a second, it's about emotion, therefore for me Edgar and Jerome's style fits TDs music much better, it's never been cold, their music is emotional. Men and women produce the music, not the technology.


Edgar's "The Man"!

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:13 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
IMHO 'some' guitarists forget music is more than technique and doing a million notes a second, it's about emotion, therefore for me Edgar and Jerome's style fits TDs music much better, it's never been cold, their music is emotional. Men and women produce the music, not the technology.


Edgar's "The Man"!


well, he's a man ;) no, seriously for me he has always been the heart of TD, no meant to beliitle what others have done, it's just my opinion

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
IMHO 'some' guitarists forget music is more than technique and doing a million notes a second, it's about emotion, therefore for me Edgar and Jerome's style fits TDs music much better, it's never been cold, their music is emotional. Men and women produce the music, not the technology.


Edgar's "The Man"!



Music to my ears..................the Gaffa :D

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage