TD Box Set remastered by Steven Wilson

sorcerer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD Box Set remastered by Steven Wilson

Post by sorcerer »

Oh yes.

Steven Wilson of Procupine Tree fame who has remastered and remixed many albums from the Prog giants.

Anyone know anything more of this ? Which albums and will it be in surround sound also?

Blimey, this should be good :shock: 8)
Hipgnosis

Re: TD Box Set remastered by Steven Wilson

Post by Hipgnosis »

sorcerer wrote:Oh yes.

Steven Wilson of Procupine Tree fame who has remastered and remixed many albums from the Prog giants.

Anyone know anything more of this ? Which albums and will it be in surround sound also?

Blimey, this should be good :shock: 8)
Hi,

Scary thought, but interesting nonetheless.

I'm not a great fan of a lot of his remixes and remasters, as they have a way to separate things and turn them into a more "modern" sound, that has keyboards in the background, and not an even part of the whole mix.

By comparison, one can take what he did with King Crimson, and in the end, the live versions that they have been doing in the past 2 or 3 years, are way better than any remix although the remastering probably is OK, on my book, but I'm not sure that changing the volume here and there to make something be up front more, is really a good solution for a lot of TD's work. However, it is possible that SW's thoughts and ideas about the mixes, may have helped bring about the clarity and beauty of a lot of that material in their more recent versions!

To me, their work (TD's) is a lot about its unity, and the only sad thing in the current version of the group is that it took away the two ladies that added so much to the completeness of the music, and for me, left a vacuum that is not as beautiful and attractive as it was before, not that the ladies were the reason for them to "look" better. I think that the music was stronger in their new versions, however all of the mixes in the live videos are, sometimes, really poor and could use a nice touch up to improve, and in those instances, I do think that SW would probably do really well.

Reminds me of his appearance on the Klaus Schulze DVD with Lisa ... and while his discussion was bland and not exactly as clear about what he does, it felt like a bunch of throwaway lines, the next segment about a couple of his technicians, discussing a slight change here and there on the DVD, something that you and I would not even notice or realize was there, is the one thing I might be looking for on KS's earlier material, but I am not sure that SW would be the right person to do such a thing, and I doubt his talent is slanted to that spot, unless he has more to say about what Richard Barbieri does than we know. In his own solo work, there is, for lack of better words, rather simplistic keyboard work, and while it works to add mood to his work, it is not half as strong and beautiful as some of the stuff that RB has added to PT in his time.

Should be interesting, though, although I keep wondering which albums, and they would have to be the earlier ones, but ... c'mon ... trying to improve on STRATOSFEAR? I don't think so!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Some info about this in a recent mail from CD Services. Will be a 16CD/2 blu-ray/book thing, from 1974 - 1979, title IN SEARCH OF HADES.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

Aye Jon - from CDS

.........brain-storming and from across the net, as it stands, the contents COULD roughly be as per the following:

Albums covered are from: 'Phaedra' to 'Force Majeure'.
'Live' sets from London that may be included are: 'Live At The Rainbow' and 'Live At The Victoria' (both London), plus, the soundtrack to: 'Live At Coventry Cathedral'.
5.1 Surround Sound mixes by Steven Wilson.
'Pheadra' becomes a vastly expanded set with Previously Unreleased Music added.
A CD of the legendary unreleased: 'Oedipus Tyrannus' and the THREE PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED (on CD) tracks from the '70-80' Box Set: 'Barryl Blue', 'Chimes And Chains' and 'Haunted Heights'.
One of the BluRay discs may contain: 'Live At Coventry Cathedral' (we all hope that this is not the previously released 'redubbed' version!!!) and the documentary: 'Signale aus der Schwäbische Strasse' (a German TV interview).
A further additional BluRay should have 5.1 and stereo mixes on it.
There are apparently Bonus Tracks for 'Rubycon', 'Ricochet', 'Stratosfear' and 'Cyclone' - and some of these apparently come in at around the 20+ Minutes mark!

There should also be a Book contained in the Box and Bianca Acquaye is designing the outer sleeve for the set.
sorcerer

Post by sorcerer »

What can be said apart from.....

Oh ya f*king beauty 8)

This has been one of the things I have been hoping for. Hope it’s as good as the potential. Started saving dosh yesterday :mrgreen:
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Yes, this is of course good news! Box set will be in my collection! No doubt about it. And even if I know very well that a Steven Wilson edited box set would only contain the Virgin albums (not even all of them), I still wish he would go further. I mean, the Virgin years have been released and re-released again and again. This will be special of course, but I wish he would also aknowledge a little bit more of TD's career.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I remember Wilson talking really dismissively about the 80s (in general) on the Schulze Rheingold DVD, so I guess he is one of those who stopped listening to TD when Schmoelling joined. His loss, I guess… :roll:
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

Time to save some pennies, I guess.

If the info quoted above is reasonably accurate, I think I might like this box.

If it ever gets released in this century, that is.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

projekt-elektronik wrote:...If it ever gets released in this century, that is.
This will come as promised. Steven Wilson is extremely serious about this. And his previous efforts proves he is the man to do it right!
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Any further details yet? I thought that we were supposed to get more details last month.
I'm very excited about this release
prophetfive

Post by prophetfive »

ARTWORK BEING FINALISED!! ANNOUNCEMENT IMMINENT!! :arrow: