Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 7393
Location: Scotland
Which ones Peter.. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:13 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
Chris Monk wrote:
71 dB wrote:
I started collecting TD about a month ago when I realised how good music it is. My collection is very tiny:

-Ricochet
-Encore
-Force Majeure
-Tangram

I have also ordered the following CDs:

-Nebulous Dawn - The Early Years
-Exit
-White Eagle
-Hyperborea

I think I will collect "only" about 25-35 TD CDs. I am not rich so I have to avoid spending money. Even now I can't buy any classical CDs but that's ok for now.

If your anything like me then you'll want everything in the end, it's an addiction.

Hi I'm Chris and I'm a TD-o-holic. :wink:

...it's a good start though.


Pretty much agree with this. I have not been a TD fan for all that long but I am getting quite a substanial collection already. I want to get everything they have released. Looking forward to a great journey while I do this.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Some TD music is hard to get. For example Pergamon is such troublemaker. Looks like I have to pay around 50 euros if I want it! Nowadays I don't pay even 20 euros for ANY CD so with these prices Pergamon will stay out of my collection, unfortunaltely.

I borrow CDs with a friend of my father. I borrowed "Extracts From Poland" CD from him (Jive Elektro 8.26099). While studying TD I found out there is a track named "Tangent" that is missing from this CD. Also, "Barbakane" is truncated. The full set has about 82 minutes of music. This friend might sell me his TD CDs. Is this version ok or should I hunt down the full version (I guess I'd have to pay astronomically)?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
71 dB wrote:
Some TD music is hard to get. For example Pergamon is such troublemaker. Looks like I have to pay around 50 euros if I want it! Nowadays I don't pay even 20 euros for ANY CD so with these prices Pergamon will stay out of my collection, unfortunaltely.

That's a shame as it's a great CD, I hope it crops up for you at the right price soon.
71 dB wrote:
I borrow CDs with a friend of my father. I borrowed "Extracts From Poland" CD from him (Jive Elektro 8.26099). While studying TD I found out there is a track named "Tangent" that is missing from this CD. Also, "Barbakane" is truncated. The full set has about 82 minutes of music. This friend might sell me his TD CDs. Is this version ok or should I hunt down the full version (I guess I'd have to pay astronomically)?

The version of Poland on Sanctuary with the truncated Barbakane is very good and gives you as much music as you can expect on a single CD and IMO they've cut the bit you'd probably want them to cut. I've recently got my hands on the double CD Relativity version (for about £20) and that is very good too and I'm quite enjoying hearing the whole thing again. It really depends on how much you want to pay for the missing few minutes of music; which, although they aren't the best on the album, are still worth hearing. Catch 22.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Chris Monk wrote:
That's a shame as it's a great CD, I hope it crops up for you at the right price soon.
Yes, if you check the CD in Amazon you'll see it's out of stock and the Marketplace sellers ask big money for it. I have read from all sources it is an essential TD album so the prices make me nervous.

Chris Monk wrote:
The version of Poland on Sanctuary with the truncated Barbakane is very good and gives you as much music as you can expect on a single CD and IMO they've cut the bit you'd probably want them to cut. I've recently got my hands on the double CD Relativity version (for about £20) and that is very good too and I'm quite enjoying hearing the whole thing again. It really depends on how much you want to pay for the missing few minutes of music; which, although they aren't the best on the album, are still worth hearing. Catch 22.
The Sanctuary version sounds good but I have to ask how much my father's friend wants for his version. The last minutes of the truncated Barbakane are weak and sound like Jarre (who I don't value that high). If the truncated 4+ minutes sound like that I don't mind missing them.

Unfortunately it seems even the Sanctuary version is expensive so I have to live without "Tangent". EDIT: play.com has it for 12.49 euros which is not that bad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:26 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
71 dB wrote:
I have read from all sources it is an essential TD album so the prices make me nervous.

Pergamon is an essential album history-wise, no doubt, but musically I don't think it is. But I know I'm probably in the minority of one (me) regarding this one here ... ;)
I don't find it outright bad, I just hardly listen to it and prefer Force Majeure or Tangram...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Michael66 wrote:
Pergamon is an essential album history-wise, no doubt, but musically I don't think it is. But I know I'm probably in the minority of one (me) regarding this one here ... ;)
I don't find it outright bad, I just hardly listen to it and prefer Force Majeure or Tangram...


Really? In that case I'll "ignore" it and buy it if I happen to find a cheap copy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:59 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Somewhere between here and there
been reading most of the posts here about this item, and if I would say how many albums I have (both cd and vinyl) you would call me 'crazy', am fan since the seventies, and 'shame on me' will be going for the first time ever to one of the concerts in Eindhoven, but to give an idea, it is a 4 figure number . . . am both collector and listener of TD.

_________________
music is part of my life, without music life would be senseless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
tuftuf wrote:
been reading most of the posts here about this item, and if I would say how many albums I have (both cd and vinyl) you would call me 'crazy', am fan since the seventies, and 'shame on me' will be going for the first time ever to one of the concerts in Eindhoven, but to give an idea, it is a 4 figure number . . . am both collector and listener of TD.


4 figure number? That means 1000-9999. :shock: Let me guess: you have 20 versions of Phaedra?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:56 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
So does anyone have an uptodate figure of how many TD albums are available? Including complimations and suchlike.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:12 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
71 dB wrote:
Really? In that case I'll "ignore" it and buy it if I happen to find a cheap copy.

It's always a matter of personal taste... most TD listeners like it. But I felt really disappointed when I first listened to Pergamon and that hasn't changed much over the years. Compositionally, there's just not as much going on there as with Force Majeure and Tangram. If you don't have Logos yet, I'd say buy Logos first... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
Michael66 wrote:
71 dB wrote:
Really? In that case I'll "ignore" it and buy it if I happen to find a cheap copy.

It's always a matter of personal taste... most TD listeners like it. But I felt really disappointed when I first listened to Pergamon and that hasn't changed much over the years. Compositionally, there's just not as much going on there as with Force Majeure and Tangram. If you don't have Logos yet, I'd say buy Logos first... :)

You're absolutely right in your assessment of Pergammon, there isn't much going on.... and yet I love it dearly. As with all things TD, it's really down to personal taste and I can't even begin to describe why I like it so much, yet I do. If I were making a recommendation I would pretty much go along with what you say, get Logos first..... but add; keep your eyes open for a cheap copy of Pergammon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Michael66 wrote:
It's always a matter of personal taste... most TD listeners like it. But I felt really disappointed when I first listened to Pergamon and that hasn't changed much over the years. Compositionally, there's just not as much going on there as with Force Majeure and Tangram. If you don't have Logos yet, I'd say buy Logos first... :)
Cheis Monk wrote:
You're absolutely right in your assessment of Pergammon, there isn't much going on.... and yet I love it dearly. As with all things TD, it's really down to personal taste and I can't even begin to describe why I like it so much, yet I do. If I were making a recommendation I would pretty much go along with what you say, get Logos first..... but add; keep your eyes open for a cheap copy of Pergammon.


Thanks for the views you both!

Logos will be purchased soon as it is easy to get cheap. Pergamon will be monitored for an inexpensive copy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:37 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:59 pm
Posts: 69
Location: Somewhere between here and there
71 dB wrote:
tuftuf wrote:
been reading most of the posts here about this item, and if I would say how many albums I have (both cd and vinyl) you would call me 'crazy', am fan since the seventies, and 'shame on me' will be going for the first time ever to one of the concerts in Eindhoven, but to give an idea, it is a 4 figure number . . . am both collector and listener of TD.


4 figure number? That means 1000-9999. :shock: Let me guess: you have 20 versions of Phaedra?


Right on, pitty computer crashed a few weeks ago so my excel list has to be redone, cd's were 725 counted for, vinyl over 300 and most of the DVD's, the bootlegs and cdr's which I didn't put in the list yet . . . 8)

_________________
music is part of my life, without music life would be senseless


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
Chris Monk wrote:
You're absolutely right in your assessment of Pergammon, there isn't much going on.... and yet I love it dearly. As with all things TD, it's really down to personal taste and I can't even begin to describe why I like it so much, yet I do.

Yes it's personal taste, all the time ... for example i LOVE Zeit: Some say there's nothing going on at all there, but it's the kind of "nothing" I like ... :wink:
It's difficult to give recommendations regarding TD music, because they're so varied in style. I'd find it hard to anticipate the style of Pergamon by only knowing what came before (Force Majeure) and what came after (Tangram). Sure there are the first traces of Tangram on Pergamon, but the whole sound "design" and musical approach is different in my opinion...

71 dB wrote:
Logos will be purchased soon as it is easy to get cheap.

New copies around £3.50 - £4.00 from various sellers here for example ... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8 [ 114 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage