In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973-1979

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: In Search of Hades: The Virgin Recordings 1973-1979

Post by Jon »

Jerome is not too happy about the fact that his mother is not mentioned anywhere in the box set. Quite understandable reaction!
Force Maysuere

Post by Force Maysuere »

My copy arrived this afternoon, looking forward to listening to the CDs, watching the DVDs and reading the book. Have not read the book yet but a little surprised that Monika never got a mention as she was a big influence in the band. Jon, where does it say that Jerome was annoyed she was not mentioned.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

Interesting facts from the illustrated book:

Chris Franke purchased his Moog IIIp from Florian Fricke of Popol Vuh and passed it on to Klaus Schulze at a later stage?

Peter Baumann used a Projekt Elektronik Sequencer for Stratosfear? Pardon me? He had an entire modular synthesiser custom-built to his specifications, at a mere 120,000 Deutschmarks.

Monika Froese gets name-checked exactly once? Huh?

Who is that chap who apparently did not do his homework properly?
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
ant

Post by ant »

:D Just received mine and it looks fantastic. I am not concerned about whether it includes this or mentions that, to be honest. It was a massive undertaking and not everything can get mentioned or covered. That in itself is always going to make someone unhappy. As the saying goes - 'You can't please all the people all the time'. To me, the important thing is the music and how it has been remixed & remastered and what the previously unreleased material is like and I am looking forward to finding out. Thank you Steve and Bianca for this exciting release. :D
Biggus Dickus
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

ant wrote::D Just received mine and it looks fantastic. I am not concerned about whether it includes this or mentions that, to be honest. It was a massive undertaking and not everything can get mentioned or covered. That in itself is always going to make someone unhappy. As the saying goes - 'You can't please all the people all the time'. To me, the important thing is the music and how it has been remixed & remastered and what the previously unreleased material is like and I am looking forward to finding out. Thank you Steve and Bianca for this exciting release. :D
I am with you there. Jerome gets annoyed. We've seen that before. Edgar's former wife does not need to be mentioned in every booklet. She got a lot of honour in the great autobiography from EF. And well deserved, I guess. But this is first of all about the music.
I have got my box set too. It's amazing. Still a lot to discover and listen to. Not had the time for it all yet. :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Force Maysuere wrote:My copy arrived this afternoon, looking forward to listening to the CDs, watching the DVDs and reading the book. Have not read the book yet but a little surprised that Monika never got a mention as she was a big influence in the band. Jon, where does it say that Jerome was annoyed she was not mentioned.
Facebook.
ant

Post by ant »

:? Who says it on facebook? TD? Bianca? Jerome himself?? We all know that Jerome was not happy with TD continuing without Edgar - Even though that was what his father wanted!! He has been bitter and twisted ever since, so I am not bothered about it at all. The book and albums are fantastic and that is all that matters. A bit like what happens behind Boris Johnson's front door - I couldn't care less!! :)
Biggus Dickus
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

ant wrote::? Who says it on facebook? TD? Bianca? Jerome himself?? We all know that Jerome was not happy with TD continuing without Edgar - Even though that was what his father wanted!! He has been bitter and twisted ever since, so I am not bothered about it at all. The book and albums are fantastic and that is all that matters. A bit like what happens behind Boris Johnson's front door - I couldn't care less!! :)
Jerome said it himself. She is mentioned in the book under the credits for Encore, and in the text of the essay. Jerome's issue was with the individual CD releases, not with the box.
tdfan

Post by tdfan »

How much overlap is there with the previous boxset
The Virgin Years: 1974-1978 ?

Because not every album in the new one has been remastered in 2018, right?
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

No reactions to any of the music yet? This will take a while to digest in full, but there is a lot of interest even on a quick go-over, e.g. the Rubycon pre-release versions. I was definitely not expecting the flute outro for part II to originally be from Oedipus Tyrannus.

Some interesting new recording sessions info in the book too. I've said already years ago that Ricochet Pt. 1 and Coldwater Canyon seem to be mostly studio work, they're 8) (but then the fact that they re-did even the Croydon intro in studio was a surprize though).
hansx

Post by hansx »

Such a great box. Magnificent. Hope the coming one will be just as good as this one.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

I want this, but it's a lot of money for an unemployed guy...
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

71 dB wrote:I want this, but it's a lot of money for an unemployed guy...
Wait for about a year and I'm sure they will blow out this boxset like they are blowing out Hades at the moment:

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/poprock/detail ... um/9151248

I will most definitely wait until next year before I bite the bullet.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Isn't this stuff seliing? Is that why they are lowering the prices?
Steve C

Post by Steve C »

Jon wrote:Isn't this stuff seliing? Is that why they are lowering the prices?
It is on the second pressing so I guess that sales expectations have been exceeded.