Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
I think- for me- this release is a perfect time to drop out. The addition of Paul Frick seems to be a subtle attempt on the part of Thorsten to push Hoshiko Yamane out of the band. All the live photos I've seen over the past few years show her cramped into a very small space on the stage, and now the plan is to add a THIRD person? Think about how that will look- visually- and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Truth be told, I had gotten into TD around 1983 and originally gave up on them in 1997 after a string of bad releases that had started in 1991. The announcement about the so-called "Quantum Years" was enough for me to give Mala Kunia a try, and- although I did enjoy it and was looking forward to see (hear?) where things were going, Edgar's death two months later effectively ended the idea before it even had a chance to start. I picked up most (but not all) of the releases that followed, but found myself getting a little more exasperated each and every time a new Sessions release was announced. Or the latest album of rerecorded material, the latest compilation, etc etc. Add in the complete lack of live dates in North American for a full three years after the release of what turned out to be the most recent studio album, and the end result- for me anyway- is complete indifference.

I think the two Box Sets (Hades, Purple Twilight) are going to serve as a fitting bookend. Collectively, they both cover the periods of Tangerine Dream I was discovering between 1983 and 1984 when I was grabbing up every album I could find (essentially, their entire discography up until that point including new releases) and- with the exception of the Optical Race album and tour- nothing else has excited me as much as their body of work from 1971 to 1984. Thirty plus years on, that's unlikely to ever change.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:42 pm
Posts: 4504
Location: Netherlands
Hmm, don’t agree on this. They still have a reason for existing. The music is still fantastic after al these years and the last ones are also exciting. Love to see them live. Always present when they are in the neighbourhood.

The boxes are really a great attachment to the whole collection with lovely books in it. Haven’t heard the newest one, but that is a project for the coming week.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 10:40 am
Posts: 3131
Location: In my private cryo space lounge, Oslo, Norway
TheXFactor wrote:
I think- for me- this release is a perfect time to drop out. The addition of Paul Frick seems to be a subtle attempt on the part of Thorsten to push Hoshiko Yamane out of the band. All the live photos I've seen over the past few years show her cramped into a very small space on the stage, and now the plan is to add a THIRD person? Think about how that will look- visually- and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Truth be told, I had gotten into TD around 1983 and originally gave up on them in 1997 after a string of bad releases that had started in 1991. The announcement about the so-called "Quantum Years" was enough for me to give Mala Kunia a try, and- although I did enjoy it and was looking forward to see (hear?) where things were going, Edgar's death two months later effectively ended the idea before it even had a chance to start. I picked up most (but not all) of the releases that followed, but found myself getting a little more exasperated each and every time a new Sessions release was announced. Or the latest album of rerecorded material, the latest compilation, etc etc. Add in the complete lack of live dates in North American for a full three years after the release of what turned out to be the most recent studio album, and the end result- for me anyway- is complete indifference.

I think the two Box Sets (Hades, Purple Twilight) are going to serve as a fitting bookend. Collectively, they both cover the periods of Tangerine Dream I was discovering between 1983 and 1984 when I was grabbing up every album I could find (essentially, their entire discography up until that point including new releases) and- with the exception of the Optical Race album and tour- nothing else has excited me as much as their body of work from 1971 to 1984. Thirty plus years on, that's unlikely to ever change.

The conspiracy forum is somewhere else. Please search the net again, and I guess you will find it. :lol:
TD is still going strong!

_________________
http://www.last.fm/user/Insvims


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
Insvims wrote:
The conspiracy forum is somewhere else. Please search the net again, and I guess you will find it. :lol:
TD is still going strong!



Ahh, sarcasm. The dry hump of sycophantic fan praise and/or blind adulation. One doesn't need a tinfoil hat to notice the complete absence of live appearances in North America to promote Quantum Gate. And as far as "TD is still going strong!" goes, look at the activity on this message board now and compare it to when Edgar was still alive. Like I said, blind adulation. Fanboy adulation, specifically, and most especially when an opinion on a particular period of music is written off as "conspiracy". Conspiracy for what, exactly? To ruin the sales of new releases under the name Tangerine Dream? To drive the five remaining people on this board (who still contribute) somewhere else?

Peter Baumann and Paul Haslinger are continuing the original spirit of Tangerine Dream with the Neuland Project. In Search Of Hades came out in June of 2019, and Neuland followed about five months later (which makes Pilots of Purple Twilight an interesting postscript). One chapter closes, another begins.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 216
One things for sure Mr X, you like a good moan on here.

I’m away to open my Pilots of The Purple Twilight package, hope the Sessions VI disc is within also. Great series of discs.

You have a good day now and enjoy some TD music.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
sorcerer wrote:
One things for sure Mr X, you like a good moan on here.



You're proving my point though. If someone offers the slightest bit of criticism about TD, they're "moaning" they're "obviously not a true fan", or "they just don't get it". It's not like every single minute of every single TD release is sheer brilliance, and now that Edgar has passed it seems that anything outside of the aforementioned sycophantic fan praise/blind adulation is considered literal heresy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:42 pm
Posts: 4504
Location: Netherlands
TheXFactor wrote:
sorcerer wrote:
One things for sure Mr X, you like a good moan on here.



You're proving my point though. If someone offers the slightest bit of criticism about TD, they're "moaning" they're "obviously not a true fan", or "they just don't get it". It's not like every single minute of every single TD release is sheer brilliance, and now that Edgar has passed it seems that anything outside of the aforementioned sycophantic fan praise/blind adulation is considered literal heresy.


While listening to the Tangram cd from the box which is sounding really fantastic, probably the best version I ever heard. It is no problem, that you have a different view. Up to you. Tastes differ, he.
Enjoy your TD and which one doesn’t really matter.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:07 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:26 pm
Posts: 32
Have to say, I've really enjoyed all the Sessions CDs and hope they continue the series.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
hansx wrote:
While listening to the Tangram cd from the box which is sounding really fantastic, probably the best version I ever heard. It is no problem, that you have a different view. Up to you. Tastes differ, he.
Enjoy your TD and which one doesn’t really matter.



I appreciate the level headed response, thanks.

Some of the stuff from the box set has been appearing online and I've been listening to it. I do have to admit that I've been spoiled by the bootleg release of The Keep back in the 90's (containing the original film cues) and prefer the dark, gothic sounding material. Happy, upbeat baroque tracks like 'Arx Allemand' seem to clash with the overall tone of the film.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:27 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
moonloop wrote:
Have to say, I've really enjoyed all the Sessions CDs and hope they continue the series.



I'm certain they will as that seems to be the only thing they've been focused on the past couple of years. Some of what I've heard on the first five releases I've enjoyed, and some of it hasn't really clicked with me. Overall (to me, anyway) the concept has gotten a bit monotonous though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:51 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 216
TheXFactor wrote:
sorcerer wrote:
One things for sure Mr X, you like a good moan on here.



You're proving my point though. If someone offers the slightest bit of criticism about TD, they're "moaning" they're "obviously not a true fan", or "they just don't get it". It's not like every single minute of every single TD release is sheer brilliance, and now that Edgar has passed it seems that anything outside of the aforementioned sycophantic fan praise/blind adulation is considered literal heresy.


Eh? Who said any of that? If you are referring to me in that you are havering utter mince. There are many releases I am not so keen on, loads I love and the Sessions discs are excellent in my view.

I am referring to your posting on here which in the main is extremely negative regarding Tangerine Dream. Not sure why but hey ho each to their own . The Sessions disc is with my Purple Twilight Box so I hope to check it out today.

As I said enjoy the music you like.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:36 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
sorcerer wrote:
Eh? Who said any of that? If you are referring to me in that you are havering utter mince. There are many releases I am not so keen on, loads I love and the Sessions discs are excellent in my view.

I am referring to your posting on here which in the main is extremely negative regarding Tangerine Dream. Not sure why but hey ho each to their own . The Sessions disc is with my Purple Twilight Box so I hope to check it out today.

As I said enjoy the music you like.



Those are examples of the general tone of responses here whenever someone offers up anything but praise. As far as my post goes, it was critical ("negative", as you put it) of a certain aspect of the band's history and not Tangerine Dream in general. There's a difference, obviously. Even if it was negative (and backed up with examples), so what? That doesn't mean someone is mincing moans blah blah blah misspelling, but rather that someone is reacting a certain way to either a particular release or event.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:05 pm
Posts: 419
Location: Germany
TheXFactor wrote:
Insvims wrote:
...
Peter Baumann and Paul Haslinger are continuing the original spirit of Tangerine Dream with the Neuland Project.
...

Well, that's exactly the kind of blind adulation you mentioned above.
Neuland is something else but by no means a continuation of the 70s.
There is no original spirit, or if there was, it was through the person EF - whatever he was doing (Rubycon or Under Cover).
Peter and Paul are just random players imo. Adding two names does not automatically create quality.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm
Posts: 183
Cyclone wrote:
Well, that's exactly the kind of blind adulation you mentioned above.
Neuland is something else but by no means a continuation of the 70s.
There is no original spirit, or if there was, it was through the person EF - whatever he was doing (Rubycon or Under Cover).
Peter and Paul are just random players imo. Adding two names does not automatically create quality.



Wow. Where to even start with this particular mess...


"Well, that's exactly the kind of blind adulation you mentioned above."

Incorrect. It's based on listening to the music with a critical ear and an informed mind with knowledge of both music theory and composition.


"Neuland is something else but by no means a continuation of the 70s."

I never said it was a continuation of the 70's, but rather a continuation of the original spirit of Tangerine Dream by two members who both greatly contributed to what made the band unique in the first place.


"There is no original spirit, or if there was, it was through the person EF - whatever he was doing (Rubycon or Under Cover)."

Well the first half of this is statement is completely misinformed, and the second half shows that you're one of those people who think Edgar (and only Edgar) did **everything**. The truth of the matter is that- although he had the original vision for what Tangerine Dream would become- Edgar always surrounded himself with professionally trained (and educated) musicians in order to bring said vision to life. Without Franke and Baumann Tangerine Dream would have never achieved the success they did in the 70's, and even a casual listen to their solo material reveals how much of it was primarily them and how much of it was Edgar playing chords in the background. Baumann himself even said in recent interviews how it was him who'd be left in the studio to mix and master what had been recorded, so- if you follow that through logically- he was the one who gave TD both the tone and the texture of the 70's era music everyone speaks so highly of. TD floundered for a couple years after Baumann's departure, then Schmoelling came in and brought more classical structures and melody into the music. Renewed success, in other words. He tired of it after half a decade, and Paul Haslinger was brought in circa 1986 only to find himself- two years later- responsible for an entire album (minus three songs) and the music for the 1988 tour while Edgar was attending to the business side of things. That responsibility got pulled back in 1989, and the band started what would become a 25 year downward spiral of standard, generic, uninspired releases. Instead of unique sounds that were once created by hand/by scratch (the door creaking sound at the beginning of 'Sphinx Lightning', for example), fans were reduced to hearing keyboard factory presets (the opening of 'Oriental Haze', for example) or complete sections of music being lifted from Enigma and worked into 'At Darwin's Motel'. Why? Because it was just Edgar and Jerome- two self taught musicians. Course corrections were attempted, naturally (including Jerome being unceremoniously forced to leave in 2006 in order to hand the proverbial reins over to Thorsten) but the ship wasn't righted until the end of 2014 which- unfortunately- turned out to be far, far too late. And let's not forget the glut of compilations, rehashed/reworked material, and live releases that came out between 1994 and 2014. Album sales tanked after MELROSE, the 1992 Rockoon tour saw the band playing to half-empty venues in the U.S., and after that no promoter would book them for a solo headlining tour nor would any label sign them. Hence the overabundance of releases on a hastily created label (TDI, which eventually gave way to Eastgate) and Edgar completely turning his back on the U.S. market. When people are no longer buying new studio albums in large quantities, the only option left is to financially exploit the existing fanbase with whatever can be thrown together and released/re-released/re-recorded/remixed etc.

Reference on U.S. tours (1986-1995): viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4690&sid=92e1ee163644ffdc8732d8dfcacce4d3#p190839


"Peter and Paul are just random players imo. Adding two names does not automatically create quality."

Except that they did- for the reasons mentioned above- plus they have both their respective solo releases (and two different collaborations) to back that up. The fact that you can't hear the quality on said releases is mind-boggling, honestly.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:10 pm
Posts: 216
Rambling nonsense, having a go at everyone and everything, yet again.

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage