Rubycon reviewed

71 dB
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 71 dB »

I heard finally Rubycon and I must say I am somewhat disappointed. The music is a bit monotonic (it develops very slowly so there are only few sections within one part). TD is still heavily in the ambient cosmic style of the Pink Years (I haven't heard Phaedra yet) and the pulsing rhythms aren't as sophisticated as on the following albums. Rubycon is dragging. Anyway, it's not bad or anything. The last 6 minutes of part 2 are beautiful. It's just not worth the hype for me. I wonder how Phaedra is...

Ricochet is superior to Rubycon. I feel Rubycon is just a prototype for the latter masterpiece.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

71 dB wrote:I heard finally Rubycon and I must say I am somewhat disappointed. The music is a bit monotonic (it develops very slowly so there are only few sections within one part). TD is still heavily in the ambient cosmic style of the Pink Years (I haven't heard Phaedra yet) and the pulsing rhythms aren't as sophisticated as on the following albums. Rubycon is dragging. Anyway, it's not bad or anything. The last 6 minutes of part 2 are beautiful. It's just not worth the hype for me. I wonder how Phaedra is...

Ricochet is superior to Rubycon. I feel Rubycon is just a prototype for the latter masterpiece.
If you're struggling with Rubycon, there's a good chance you'll find Phaedra drags a little. Personally, I think it's a timeless masterpiece and it's the album that marks the start of my love for TD. I'd urge you to give it a go, but don't expect another Ricochet.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Hobo wrote:
71 dB wrote:I heard finally Rubycon and I must say I am somewhat disappointed. The music is a bit monotonic (it develops very slowly so there are only few sections within one part). TD is still heavily in the ambient cosmic style of the Pink Years (I haven't heard Phaedra yet) and the pulsing rhythms aren't as sophisticated as on the following albums. Rubycon is dragging. Anyway, it's not bad or anything. The last 6 minutes of part 2 are beautiful. It's just not worth the hype for me. I wonder how Phaedra is...

If you're struggling with Rubycon, there's a good chance you'll find Phaedra drags a little. Personally, I think it's a timeless masterpiece and it's the album that marks the start of my love for TD. I'd urge you to give it a go, but don't expect another Ricochet.
I remember moving from Poland onto Rubycon via Tangram, and not being that enamoured with Rubycon... it has massively grown on me though, particularly as I have grown older, so if you're like me, you need to give it lots more time...
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Hobo wrote:If you're struggling with Rubycon, there's a good chance you'll find Phaedra drags a little. Personally, I think it's a timeless masterpiece and it's the album that marks the start of my love for TD. I'd urge you to give it a go, but don't expect another Ricochet.
Well not exactly struggling. I enjoy the album but it just hasn't been (I have listened to it 4 times now) as mindblowing as Ricochet is. This means my expectations for Phaedra are lowered and will be more realistic.
billythefish wrote:I remember moving from Poland onto Rubycon via Tangram, and not being that enamoured with Rubycon... it has massively grown on me though, particularly as I have grown older, so if you're like me, you need to give it lots more time...
I give time to all my CDs so we'll see how Rubycon grows on me. :wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:
Hobo wrote:

I remember moving from Poland onto Rubycon via Tangram, and not being that enamoured with Rubycon... it has massively grown on me though, particularly as I have grown older, so if you're like me, you need to give it lots more time...
That's true of me too. I wasn't over enamoured with Rubycon when I first heard it but grew to like it slowly.
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Excellent TIM 8) :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

Cheers my friend. Love the Cat ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

Chris Monk wrote:
billythefish wrote:
Hobo wrote: If you're struggling with Rubycon, there's a good chance you'll find Phaedra drags a little. Personally, I think it's a timeless masterpiece and it's the album that marks the start of my love for TD. I'd urge you to give it a go, but don't expect another Ricochet.
That's true of me too. I wasn't over enamoured with Rubycon when I first heard it but grew to like it slowly.

Must admit loved it the first time I heard it. It seems to have a mysterious dark power. Agree that Phaedra does drag a little bit in comparison
"Sydney till I Die"
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

timer wrote:Cheers my friend. Love the Cat ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its Edgar in his feline pyjamas trying out his leaping on the bed technique :shock: :oops: :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:
timer wrote:Cheers my friend. Love the Cat ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Its Edgar in his feline pyjamas trying out his leaping on the bed technique :shock: :oops: :arrow:
I could believe that ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit : B*gg*r, Im on the rubycon thread and hadn't said how wonderful it is ! Rubycon is wonderful ! :lol:
SydneyFC

Post by SydneyFC »

yeah the cat is definitely okay :D
"Sydney till I Die"
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

SydneyFC wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
billythefish wrote: I remember moving from Poland onto Rubycon via Tangram, and not being that enamoured with Rubycon... it has massively grown on me though, particularly as I have grown older, so if you're like me, you need to give it lots more time...

Must admit loved it the first time I heard it. It seems to have a mysterious dark power. Agree that Phaedra does drag a little bit in comparison
That's interesting. Out of interest, what was the first TD you heard? And how old were you when you first heard Rubycon (if you don't mind me asking!)... :D :D :D
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

billythefish wrote:
SydneyFC wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: That's true of me too. I wasn't over enamoured with Rubycon when I first heard it but grew to like it slowly.

That's interesting. Out of interest, what was the first TD you heard? And how old were you when you first heard Rubycon (if you don't mind me asking!)... :D :D :D
For me it was Rubycon and I was 15.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

What software are you using Tim?
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache