Exit

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Exit

Post by 24db »

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/section ... &artid=111

One of TD's most popular albums with fans and reviewers alike (now that makes a nice change):

Way in, way out
TANGERINE DREAM 'Exit'
(Virgin V2212)****
IN AN ideal world, this lovely album would grow limbs and go out into the streets and rearrange the facial features of all those stupid, ignorant and plain spiteful (insecure) people who always pick on the Tangs in a desperate attempt to bolster, by sneering comparison, their dreadful A Certain Josef And His Echoing Orange Drops. I would personally hand it Dave McCullough's home address. I'd hand it your home address.

Of course, a few years ago it would have been after my home address, but I was big enough to say sorry. Nowadays, it's dangerous to say you like Tangerine Dream, and I'm a great one for these existential frissons.

If you've read this far you're probably still in the market for a Tangs album that poops on all those posturing, facetious criticisms. Step right up. The Tangs are bopping Tangerine Dream are GO!

Or a-go-go. It's still Tangerine Dream, naturlich, but they've just plugged into something, and this album goes roaring ahead with all boosters firing. The pieces are short, the sound is alive and positively bites, and the songs glow with a life and energy that makes 'Exit' an aural wet kipper in the face of all those faddish stage-yawning detractors.

After a carillon of aerial effects, 'Kiew Mission' (Cherman for Kiev, ja?) sways in on tiptoe, humane drum machine shuffling beneath staccato sparkler keyboards as a sensuous female intones a travelogue. This segues into a melancholy section, crystal forests of synth waving over a chopstick rhythm. It has a Forthright tone.

'Pilots Of Purple Twilight' (they're at it again) sucks and breathes, expanding time vertically with a bursting cornucopia of sounds, sizzling, rippling and seething synths making Busby Berkeley patterns. It pines grandly, and has a Fallibly Heroic air.

'Choronzon', the single, has a great time all by itself, flying a tricky funk formation while the lead synths swerve and career. It slips into a rising, ghoulish dub, and manages the occasional impressively offhand Epic observation. I'd dance to this anywhere, as long as Simon Draper paid for me to get in.

The title track finds them singing in the rain with Wendy Carlos, if you get the drift, and lopes along in a Red Indian fashion beneath great dark heaving stormclouds of sound. When it swings upwards, it vibrates with a passionate sense of Human Endeavour. Honest.

Seatbelts are required for 'Network 23', a big and bouncy, proud and bouncy affair, sequencers bouncing off the walls and lead synths jumping and shouting the Joy of Life. Poetic Verities aside, I'd also dance to this anywhere as long as etc.

OI' Gyorgy is sensed nearby on the last piece, 'Remote Viewing'. This delves into their darker side with warps, clusters and streams of atonal noise - it's like walking into a Clyfford Still painting -. before moving into a pastoral and merry dance, tinkling synths and fluting oscillators. It's a piece of Eternal Contrasts, light-and-airy/dark-and-muscular.

And here comes the nurse with the screens. I don't claim to have cracked Edgar Froese's DNA code, but more than ever before 1'm getting something off this Tangs album. The wacko comments in capitals are probably way off beam, but Tangerine Dream are finally getting through, and I like what I'm receiving. 'Exit' is strong, energetic, direct and has a point to make - all those qualities you never before associated with the Tangs. I feel something great and grandly metaphysical is happening on this album, and in a way that forbids snickering. It's important.

I've reached a point where I can take the Tangs for what they are. Are you still going to hang around with those people who wear their opinions like the latest joke badge?

JOHN GILL

Albums
The way-out
TANGERINE DREAM: "Exit" (Virgin 1/2212).

This is possibly the best album Tangerine Dream have ever done. Certainly it is the most confident, most totally coherent music I have heard from them since those dramatic days when ",Atem" and "Zeit" alerted those outside Germany to the new lyricism that Froese, Franke and Baumann had distilled out of electronics.

There is no logic to the defeatist idea that technology necessarily has to be dehumanizing, and those composers who utilize it only to emphasize the alienating effects of modern life are living in a past vision of the future that is as old-hat as Fritz Lang's "Metropolis".
So when I hear music like this, which lifts the heart and elevates the soul, I know that 1 am hearing something more authentic than the constructivist computer chic of their follow countrymen Kraftwerk, who have influenced the million copyists to let the programs dictate their musical thinking, rather than vice versa.

The album opens with the grand earhole-tugging crash of a gong, and for a moment I was worried that after such a grandiloquent beginning the rest of the music might descend into mere rhetoric, always a danger with a band like Tangerine Dream, who have never been afraid of the large gesture.

Here, however, they are contained within manageable proportions. No tune reaches ten minutes in length, and most of them are half as long or less. On the other hand, the sonic effects marshaled are tremendous, almost Wagnerian in their sweep, while Johannes Schmoelling's drums (sic...Karl...what were you thinking of?), I assume they are his, though Franke is also a competent percussionist) drive the whole thing along with a lightness that is denied any pre-programmed sequence.

Just when we were all prepared to consign them to the dump-bin of discards from the Sixties, they produce - an amazing album like this! An exit, you will recall, is one way out of a blind alley, which could give this album's title something of a prophetic flavour, both for Tangerine Dream and other contemporary composers. - Karl DALLAS
Last edited by 24db on Fri May 18, 2007 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

ah, John Gill, sounds......

exit is a great LP, I love it...as always

ta andy.
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Great album it is.............thanks for the snippet AK :arrow: :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Nice one Andy - nice to see some positive reviews! Exit is one of my favourites too.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

A book of all the reviews good & bad for each TD album would make entertaining reading especially with the diversity of opinion apart from the old Sounds or NME one line reviews like 'not good' or there's only one thing worse than a TD studio album and that's a live album: andy you'll probably know where that's come from
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

As anyone noticed when you the word cr*p the forum turns it to 'not good'
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

alipaul wrote:As anyone noticed when you the word cr*p the forum turns it to 'not good'
Thats not the only one that changes Darren..........can be very embarrassing on occasions :oops: :lol:
Last edited by epsilon75 on Fri May 18, 2007 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Thanks Andy. I tend to forget that the music journalists were positive (sometimes). :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

epsilon75 wrote:
alipaul wrote:As anyone noticed when you the word cr*p the forum turns it to 'not good'
Thats not the only one that changes Darren..........can be very embarrassing on occasions :oops: :lol:
Tell me about it. If you type "Too H*t for My Chinchilla," you get "Too Cold ..." Since when is the opposite of cold a dirty word? Go figure.
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

exit is one of my many cherished albums

way beyond its time

at the time it was shocking

dynamic and almost menacing, superbly focussed and rythmic

a cyclical pointer to late 80's techno and a reminder in time of TD;s knowingness and command of thee beat of the zeitgeist

bm passes out :arrow:
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:exit is one of my many cherished albums

way beyond its time

a cyclical pointer to late 80's techno and a reminder in time of TD;s knowingness and command of thee beat of the zeitgeist

TD were on a roll, I remember buying Thief, then Exit and then White Eagle and thinking it was the best music ever. Music with emotion that was light years ahead of anybody else, technology and sound wise. For me they couldn't put a foot wrong when they did Exit, it typified what I thought was great about the TD at the time; stunning use of timbre with a huge restrainedpower (you could try to imagine it at home) but it was live that they stunned you (in every sense). It was perfect marriage of the right time, the right technology and (without them there would be been nothing) the right musicians.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

andy, you have nailed it

awesomely

8)

and then we had POLAND 8)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:

way beyond its time

TD were on a roll, I remember buying Thief, then Exit and then White Eagle and thinking it was the best music ever. Music with emotion that was light years ahead of anybody else, technology and sound wise. For me they couldn't put a foot wrong when they did Exit, it typified what I thought was great about the TD at the time; stunning use of timbre with a huge restrainedpower (you could try to imagine it at home) but it was live that they stunned you (in every sense). It was perfect marriage of the right time, the right technology and (without them there would be been nothing) the right musicians.
Exit was the culmination of a period in my life when TD meant an awful lot to me. They still do of course, but back then they helped to steer me on a path away from probable self-destruction.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:

way beyond its time

Exit was the culmination of a period in my life when TD meant an awful lot to me. They still do of course, but back then they helped to steer me on a path away from probable self-destruction.
Nice one, you should thank Chris, Edgar and Johannes personally
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

i have exit on now...loud

stunning

they know something we do not

im all emotional now

music

let the music play

bye :arrow: