Exit

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by 24db »

71 dB wrote:
24db wrote:I'd have to say I completely disagree, TD at the time were one of the very few groups to be able to afford Digital synths (Having PPG onboard helped no end). At that time the likes of OMD had old small mono synths and old creaky Mellotrons (I saw them days after seeing TD live in London...and at the same venue). The term 'timeless' (although Edgar has used it enough) is open to as much spin as you want, it just depends what appeals so if you like Analog over Digital you'll put it down to the equipment. I have a 'complete-ish' list of TD's equipment from the 80's and the digital equipment still sits amongst the analog Fat Granny Brigade.
I don't prefer analog over digital. I enjoy anything from baroque instruments to Autechre's futuristic digital noise. It's all about what you do with the sounds.
Couldn't agree more
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

Michael66 wrote: As far as I remember you'll get Logos soon, I guess you'll like it :)
From the 80s, there's also Hyperborea and Underwater Sunlight, although if you don't like shorter tracks generally, you might only like one half of each album (that'd be Sphinx Lightning from Hyperborea and Song of the Whale Parts 1+2 from Underwater Sunlight).
For now at least, save the years between 1987-1998 for later. Doesn't mean there's no good albums within that period, but sifting through all their releases around that time could be a bit discouraging at first...
Here's a current bargain to start with the newer TD: http://tinyurl.com/2wk8uf - It's a double CD of their "Mars Polaris" live concert from 1999.
If you like classical music, maybe you like the Dante trilogy releases (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso). But especially with Dante, "try before you buy" ... I personally find that trilogy the biggest TD disappointment ever.
My recommendations for TD after 2000 regarding long, complex tracks would be Jeanne D'Arc, and Springtime and Summer in Nagasaki. All only in my opinion of course. Maybe try TD's official MySpace site for listening to some examples of their newer recordings.
Yes, Logos is ordered. Hyberborea is also ordered. Underwater Sunlight will be purchased sooner or later. I don't have anything against short tracks but TD's creativity seems to be more fruitful with longer tracks. White Eagle is a good short TD track.

Thanks for the Rocking Mars hint. I will consider it. I'll check Dante too. I'll keep Jeanne D'Arc, and Springtime and Summer in Nagasaki in mind too.
timer

Post by timer »

The first TD record I bought (or was bought for me !) and i still love it.

8)
Helikon

Post by Helikon »

Choronzon live - seems so much more dynamic, louder and heavier than the studio version.

Remote Viewing - I always listen "behind" the lead flute to the magic of ever changing sequencers.

Exit - In the midst of sonic crossroads. It never sounds dated.
There is poetry in science
RemoteViewing81

Post by RemoteViewing81 »

the last piece, 'Remote Viewing'. This delves into their darker side with warps, clusters and streams of atonal noise - it's like walking into a Clyfford Still painting -. before moving into a pastoral and merry dance, tinkling synths and fluting oscillators. It's a piece of Eternal Contrasts, light-and-airy/dark-and-muscular.<<that's me.. :wink:
"The aim of the music [of Tangerine Dream] is to paint surreal pictures with musical instruments."

http://www.voices-in-the-net.de/voiceshm.htm
24db

Post by 24db »

RemoteViewing81 wrote:the last piece, 'Remote Viewing'. This delves into their darker side with warps, clusters and streams of atonal noise - it's like walking into a Clyfford Still painting -. before moving into a pastoral and merry dance, tinkling synths and fluting oscillators. It's a piece of Eternal Contrasts, light-and-airy/dark-and-muscular.<<that's me.. :wink:
Nice magazine review that
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Exit, for me, still packs a punch, it’s a dynamic tour de force of melody, power and grace. A special recording in many ways. At the time it was like a breath of fresh air, quite excellent, and now it’s a definite classic : TD’s historic about face in direction for the eighties.
...The wise.....are silent.....
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

One thing I like about Exit is the variety of soundscapes. No two tracks are alike. And although the tracks are not long, they are not so short as to be fleeting. At mid-length, they last long enough to make their musical statements, while leaving enough time for another adventure (don't forget this was pre-CD which meant they only had about 40 minutes to work with, not 80).

Even "Kiew Mission" is more or less two different pieces joined together into one track, but the segue is one of the most exciting moments.

"Exit" is classic TD, and quite definitive of the era. It's like a signature piece.

I agree with the common opinion of the comparisons of live "Choronzon" to the studio version, but if you've only ever heard the studio version, it's still a strong piece in itself. Meant to be played loudly.

"Pilots of Purple Twilight" is like a summary of or perhaps a coda to "Tangram."

"Network 23" is bit poppish and seems to echo other pop e-music that was being produced at the time, but it's highly enjoyable nevertheless.

"Remote Viewing" was an unexpected surprise for me the first time I heard it. The spacey, atonal first movement is very reminiscent of older TD like "Desert Dream, " "Fauni-Gena," or "Abyss" which then evolves into a pleasant, lightly pulsing allegretto.

There is really quite a lot to explore on this album, and because the statements are more concise (I admit to a preference for their 20-minutes epics myself), it's easy to miss what's happening if you're not listening attentively.
Last edited by Sfearical Sequence on Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

totally agree with the above, perfect summation of a classic album :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
har

Post by har »

First time I heard exit, I was not sure what to make of it.

In fact probably a bit disappointed.

Had it in the car last week, brilliant album! Kiew mission and especially remote viewing (wish it was longer!) are superb.

Think I will check it out again next week :D
r4man

Post by r4man »

Exit came out shortly after I saw TD live in their Froese, Franke, Schmoelling incarnation and became a total fan. I liked the album, but was a little disappointed that the tracks were of the shorter variety. Also, some of them just kind of fade out which is also a pet peeve of mine. At the time, my least favorite track on the album was "pilots of purple twilight". It was only much later, after I saw them live in 1986 and "pilots" opened the concert, that the track became one of my all time favorites (it is my ringtone on my iphone).

Exit was a milestone album for me in another way. When the CD format came out I decided I would not buy into it until a TD album appeared on CD. Exit was that album and I purchased it to test out CD players before I purchased one.

To 71dB I would say that TD are at their very best heard live. If you haven't already done so you should go to a live performance at your first opportunity. If you don't already have the live album "Poland" I suggest you check it out. It is TD at the very height of their powers in the Froese, Franke, Schmoelling incarnation. You can sample the album by listening to "Horizon" on the music play on this web site's home page. The full album is available on iTunes.
71 dB

Post by 71 dB »

r4man wrote:To 71dB I would say that TD are at their very best heard live. If you haven't already done so you should go to a live performance at your first opportunity. If you don't already have the live album "Poland" I suggest you check it out. It is TD at the very height of their powers in the Froese, Franke, Schmoelling incarnation. You can sample the album by listening to "Horizon" on the music play on this web site's home page. The full album is available on iTunes.
I live in Finland. I'm sure TD will never come even near me. I don't go to concerts (well, I have been in few classical music concerts) but I don't go and ruin my hearing in rock concerts listening. I don't want tinnitus. I like my music at home in safe environment and with reasonable sound pressure levels.

I borrowed Poland from a friend. Later I'll buy it. It's good but I think it's overrated.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

har wrote:First time I heard exit, I was not sure what to make of it.

In fact probably a bit disappointed.

Had it in the car last week, brilliant album! Kiew mission and especially remote viewing (wish it was longer!) are superb.

Think I will check it out again next week :D
I bought this album around 85 and was also very disapointed on first listen and all that followed. I now love the album and although very short it's a kinda change for TD with the short tracks.
waveterm

Post by waveterm »

71 dB wrote:
I live in Finland. I'm sure TD will never come even near me. I don't go to concerts (well, I have been in few classical music concerts) but I don't go and ruin my hearing in rock concerts listening. I don't want tinnitus. I like my music at home in safe environment and with reasonable sound pressure levels.

I borrowed Poland from a friend. Later I'll buy it. It's good but I think it's overrated.
m´kay......

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things........now, move on.
24db

Post by 24db »

I still like Exit, always have