Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
jimi wrote:
24db wrote:
jimi wrote:
I totally agree with all of the above.

I was living in very remotely then, when I got my hands on Exit I played it every day for at least a year. My ex girlfriend still reminds me of it - she associates me with 'listening to TD every day' :lol:

These days I'm listening to a lot of Pete Namlook, just found out he's got 135+ albums out :o only got 50 or so - but growing rapidly


Pete Namlook? I seem to remember it's almost 300...start saving mate, btw any favourites?


300 :shock: holy christmas-goose :wink:

my favourites are
    Ambient Cookbook
    Dark side of the Moog series with Klaus Schulze
    Outland series
    Air Series

and bits and pieces from others, never know what he gets into, jazz - techno -ambience you never know, very inspiring


http://music.hyperreal.org/labels/fax/

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:34 pm
Posts: 48
Location: West Cork Ireland
24db wrote:
jimi wrote:
24db wrote:
jimi wrote:
I totally agree with all of the above.

I was living in very remotely then, when I got my hands on Exit I played it every day for at least a year. My ex girlfriend still reminds me of it - she associates me with 'listening to TD every day' :lol:

These days I'm listening to a lot of Pete Namlook, just found out he's got 135+ albums out :o only got 50 or so - but growing rapidly


Pete Namlook? I seem to remember it's almost 300...start saving mate, btw any favourites?


300 :shock: holy christmas-goose :wink:

my favourites are
    Ambient Cookbook
    Dark side of the Moog series with Klaus Schulze
    Outland series
    Air Series

and bits and pieces from others, never know what he gets into, jazz - techno -ambience you never know, very inspiring


http://music.hyperreal.org/labels/fax/


cheers mate

I think I will go for a carreer change, will apply to be a bank robber, need loads of cash to buy a few hundred namlook albums :twisted:

_________________
Greeting from Ireland

Jimi


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 5:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
jimi wrote:
24db wrote:
jimi wrote:
24db wrote:
jimi wrote:
I totally agree with all of the above.

I was living in very remotely then, when I got my hands on Exit I played it every day for at least a year. My ex girlfriend still reminds me of it - she associates me with 'listening to TD every day' :lol:

These days I'm listening to a lot of Pete Namlook, just found out he's got 135+ albums out :o only got 50 or so - but growing rapidly


Pete Namlook? I seem to remember it's almost 300...start saving mate, btw any favourites?


300 :shock: holy christmas-goose :wink:

my favourites are
    Ambient Cookbook
    Dark side of the Moog series with Klaus Schulze
    Outland series
    Air Series

and bits and pieces from others, never know what he gets into, jazz - techno -ambience you never know, very inspiring


http://music.hyperreal.org/labels/fax/


cheers mate

I think I will go for a carreer change, will apply to be a bank robber, need loads of cash to buy a few hundred namlook albums :twisted:


I need to check and see which ones I think are good, from memory I have:Continued on the Namlook thread!

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Exit seems to be the worst TD album so far what I have heard. It sounded good the first time I heard it but after that it has revealed some kind of hollowness.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
71 dB wrote:
Exit seems to be the worst TD album so far what I have heard. It sounded good the first time I heard it but after that it has revealed some kind of hollowness.

If you don't like Exit, you probably won't like Le Parc, another "short tracks" 80s album...
What do you think of Remote Viewing? I like the whole of Exit as an album, but Remote Viewing with all its subtle interlocking sequences was always my favourite track. Some say it's the worst track on the album... ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:02 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
71 dB wrote:
Exit seems to be the worst TD album so far what I have heard. It sounded good the first time I heard it but after that it has revealed some kind of hollowness.


I had totally the opposite reaction. When I first heard it I thought it had very little depth but I sat down and listened to it a number of times and I began to think of it as a very strong record. Possibly not a first rank recording but not far off it.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Michael66 wrote:
If you don't like Exit, you probably won't like Le Parc, another "short tracks" 80s album...
What do you think of Remote Viewing? I like the whole of Exit as an album, but Remote Viewing with all its subtle interlocking sequences was always my favourite track. Some say it's the worst track on the album... ;)


Yes, I think Le Parc isn't my "cup of tea". I like long TD tracks with development (I listen to classical music a lot). I like Exit (TD is hard to dislike) but the music isn't as special and unique as albums like Ricochet, Force Majeure and Tangram. Even White Eagle feels much better in comparison.

Remote control is good but perhaps too short and not dramatic enough. Network 23 is perhaps my favorite on that album.

Anyway, I don't regret paying 6.49 euros for Exit. It's easily worth that. :wink:

SydneyFC wrote:
I had totally the opposite reaction. When I first heard it I thought it had very little depth but I sat down and listened to it a number of times and I began to think of it as a very strong record. Possibly not a first rank recording but not far off it.


All TD album so far have grown on me except Exit. I listen to relatively complex music and TD is "easy listening" for my ears. However, I admire the genius of Edgar Froese and others. It's not easy to make easy listening this hooking and interesting. Exit feels structurally too simple. Maybe this is because I have listened so much complex underground techno of the 90's. Choronzon sounds like Jean Michael Jarre's radio hit. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:35 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
71 dB wrote:
I like Exit (TD is hard to dislike) but the music isn't as special and unique as albums like Ricochet, Force Majeure and Tangram. Even White Eagle feels much better in comparison.

Exit is a child of its times... TD probably wanted to try something different. Around that time synth pop (Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark, Human League etc) started to flourish, there were the first digital synthesizers around (PPG Wave), and maybe TD just wanted to sound "modern" then. I'm usually also more for the longer tracks, but there's something about the atmosphere of Exit I liked from the beginning.

Anyway, TD got more complex again later in their career, lots to discover for you... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
Michael66 wrote:
Exit is a child of its times... TD probably wanted to try something different. Around that time synth pop (Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark, Human League etc) started to flourish, there were the first digital synthesizers around (PPG Wave), and maybe TD just wanted to sound "modern" then. I'm usually also more for the longer tracks, but there's something about the atmosphere of Exit I liked from the beginning.

Anyway, TD got more complex again later in their career, lots to discover for you... :)


I feel TD tried to sound too much like other synth-bands did at that time. TD's strenght is in it's unique style. This is lost when you sound "modern" because that means you sound like other modern bands. Unique sound is timeless rather than modern.

Yeah, there is so much to discover! Can you name "complex albums" later in their career?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
71 dB wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
If you don't like Exit, you probably won't like Le Parc, another "short tracks" 80s album...
What do you think of Remote Viewing? I like the whole of Exit as an album, but Remote Viewing with all its subtle interlocking sequences was always my favourite track. Some say it's the worst track on the album... ;)


Yes, I think Le Parc isn't my "cup of tea". I like long TD tracks with development (I listen to classical music a lot). I like Exit (TD is hard to dislike) but the music isn't as special and unique as albums like Ricochet, Force Majeure and Tangram. Even White Eagle feels much better in comparison.

Remote control is good but perhaps too short and not dramatic enough. Network 23 is perhaps my favorite on that album.



Anyway, I don't regret paying 6.49 euros for Exit. It's easily worth that. :wink:

SydneyFC wrote:
I had totally the opposite reaction. When I first heard it I thought it had very little depth but I sat down and listened to it a number of times and I began to think of it as a very strong record. Possibly not a first rank recording but not far off it.


All TD album so far have grown on me except Exit. I listen to relatively complex music and TD is "easy listening" for my ears. However, I admire the genius of Edgar Froese and others. It's not easy to make easy listening this hooking and interesting. Exit feels structurally too simple. Maybe this is because I have listened so much complex underground techno of the 90's. Choronzon sounds like Jean Michael Jarre's radio hit. :?


Yeah probably what I like about Exit is its looseness, it almost feels at times that it is going to fall to pieces. It has a kind of simplistic poppy feel that is still unfinished or underconstruction. A quirky DIY sensibility. As Michael66 says probably influenced by Human League/OMD/Soft Cell that were all mining a similiar vein at the time.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:46 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
71 dB wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
Exit is a child of its times... TD probably wanted to try something different. Around that time synth pop (Orchestral Manoevres in the Dark, Human League etc) started to flourish, there were the first digital synthesizers around (PPG Wave), and maybe TD just wanted to sound "modern" then. I'm usually also more for the longer tracks, but there's something about the atmosphere of Exit I liked from the beginning.

Anyway, TD got more complex again later in their career, lots to discover for you... :)


I feel TD tried to sound too much like other synth-bands did at that time. TD's strenght is in it's unique style. This is lost when you sound "modern" because that means you sound like other modern bands. Unique sound is timeless rather than modern.

Yeah, there is so much to discover! Can you name "complex albums" later in their career?


I'd have to say I completely disagree, TD at the time were one of the very few groups to be able to afford Digital synths (Having PPG onboard helped no end). At that time the likes of OMD had old small mono synths and old creaky Mellotrons (I saw them days after seeing TD live in London...and at the same venue). The term 'timeless' (although Edgar has used it enough) is open to as much spin as you want, it just depends what appeals so if you like Analog over Digital you'll put it down to the equipment. I have a 'complete-ish' list of TD's equipment from the 80's and the digital equipment still sits amongst the analog Fat Granny Brigade.

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:19 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
71 dB wrote:
Can you name "complex albums" later in their career?

As far as I remember you'll get Logos soon, I guess you'll like it :)
From the 80s, there's also Hyperborea and Underwater Sunlight, although if you don't like shorter tracks generally, you might only like one half of each album (that'd be Sphinx Lightning from Hyperborea and Song of the Whale Parts 1+2 from Underwater Sunlight).
For now at least, save the years between 1987-1998 for later. Doesn't mean there's no good albums within that period, but sifting through all their releases around that time could be a bit discouraging at first...
Here's a current bargain to start with the newer TD: http://tinyurl.com/2wk8uf - It's a double CD of their "Mars Polaris" live concert from 1999.
If you like classical music, maybe you like the Dante trilogy releases (Inferno, Purgatorio, Paradiso). But especially with Dante, "try before you buy" ... I personally find that trilogy the biggest TD disappointment ever.
My recommendations for TD after 2000 regarding long, complex tracks would be Jeanne D'Arc, and Springtime and Summer in Nagasaki. All only in my opinion of course. Maybe try TD's official MySpace site for listening to some examples of their newer recordings.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
For me Exit is a much more mellow TD album. Not quite so franctic and out-there as their other previous releases. I'd even go as far as to say it was a little more mature and not quite so "trying to impress with technology".

I always remember when it first came out that Tony Hart, of Vision On and Take Hart fame, used to use it all the time whilst painting or for the "Gallery".

The only complaint I have about the album, and yes I know I've said this before, is that it fails to capture the true nature of Chronozon. In concert it was a stand-out moment of immense power, pounding the audience into submission, yet when it made it to the album it seems to have been chained and immasculated. What happened to the "Beast".


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
Chris Monk wrote:
it fails to capture the true nature of Chronozon. In concert it was a stand-out moment of immense power, pounding the audience into submission, yet when it made it to the album it seems to have been chained and immasculated. What happened to the "Beast".

White Eagle and his cosmic brotherhood won and cut Choronzon's throat probably ... :twisted: :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:25 am
Posts: 380
Location: Finland
24db wrote:
I'd have to say I completely disagree, TD at the time were one of the very few groups to be able to afford Digital synths (Having PPG onboard helped no end). At that time the likes of OMD had old small mono synths and old creaky Mellotrons (I saw them days after seeing TD live in London...and at the same venue). The term 'timeless' (although Edgar has used it enough) is open to as much spin as you want, it just depends what appeals so if you like Analog over Digital you'll put it down to the equipment. I have a 'complete-ish' list of TD's equipment from the 80's and the digital equipment still sits amongst the analog Fat Granny Brigade.


I don't prefer analog over digital. I enjoy anything from baroque instruments to Autechre's futuristic digital noise. It's all about what you do with the sounds.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5 [ 64 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage