Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

* FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:09 pm 

Why is it that whenever I read a review of a Tangerine Dream album that the reviewer will liken a track to to something by Vangelis or Jarre. To me it implies that their work is original and TD are copying and it is somehow inferior.

Its just something that irritates me and I wondered what other people think !

I know I am contradicting myself a bit here but does anyone think that Springtime in Nagasaki has a similar feel to Ashra's New Age of Earth paticularly the TQ tracks ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:18 pm 

Tangerine Dream are the Genuine article IMHO :arrow: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:02 am 

Probably just the reviewers reference to an artist they feel their readership is more familiar with. TD are originals and remain unsurpassed! :D :P 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 8:13 am 

I Have No Questions. :!:

ピーターAKAレーザーディスク夢

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:25 pm 

I think it's sometimes helpful to readers unfamiliar with TD if a reviewer can use external references in their description. Some go on and on in a very personal way which is utterly useless unless you are a personal friend of the writer.

But, I agree with your point - TD are unique and pioneers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:23 pm 

billythefish wrote:
I think it's sometimes helpful to readers unfamiliar with TD if a reviewer can use external references in their description. Some go on and on in a very personal way which is utterly useless unless you are a personal friend of the writer.

But, I agree with your point - TD are unique and pioneers.

And, of course, sometimes the reverse is true. A reviewer might compare another synth/electronic band to TD. It's all relative.

Take a look at movies. A critic might compare a new horror or sci-fi movie to, say, Alien or Close Encounters -- something that would be similar in tone and yet familiar to the casual reader who might be contemplating seeing that movie.

TD is, of course, unique, having been involved virtually at the beginning of the use of synthesizers in modern music. If a reviewer does compare another band to TD, it's an acknowledgement to TD's pioneering history and endurability. Just my two cents' worth.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:24 pm 

HYPERBOREA wrote:
Why is it that whenever I read a review of a Tangerine Dream album that the reviewer will liken a track to to something by Vangelis or Jarre. To me it implies that their work is original and TD are copying and it is somehow inferior.

I know I am contradicting myself a bit here but does anyone think that Springtime in Nagasaki has a similar feel to Ashra's New Age of Earth paticularly the TQ tracks ?

I use references all the time, cos I'm lazy...perhaps reviewers do the same? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:03 pm 

A TD fan recognises TD anytime, for me TD don't sound like anyone else. I was in Berlin, early eighties, listening to an east German radio station broadcasting non stop classical music without any commentry, and at some stage they played Tangram, I had never heard it before but recognised TD after straight away.

BTW I thought it was amazing to mix Tangram into a classical music show (they played both parts); even today I still associate Tangram with classical music :)

Jimi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 5:14 pm 

jimi wrote:
A TD fan recognises TD anytime, for me TD don't sound like anyone else. I was in Berlin, early eighties, listening to an east German radio station broadcasting non stop classical music without any commentry, and at some stage they played Tangram, I had never heard it before but recognised TD after straight away.

BTW I thought it was amazing to mix Tangram into a classical music show (they played both parts); even today I still associate Tangram with classical music :)

It certainly is Classic music thats for sure 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 11:41 am 

jimi wrote:

I heard that it had a very positive write-up in a classical music magazine when it came out... Andy - any ideas :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 5:07 pm 

billythefish wrote:
jimi wrote:

I heard that it had a very positive write-up in a classical music magazine when it came out... Andy - any ideas :D

Tangram reviews in a classical magazine? rarer than rocking horse you know what!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:54 pm 

The old compositions always gave the impression of classical pieces especially in the long ones always came across like movements in the classical sense.

When i bought my hifi system i had demo of the kit & took a TD cd with me.

the guy showing me the kit was a big classical music buff and was quite impressed with Tangram as it showed the musicians had classical backgrounds.

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:01 pm 

HYPERBOREA wrote:

Stange i've never heard ashra in TD's music. Ashra's album New Age of Earth is more like Schulze did his music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:36 pm 

As a Marillion fan, I can sympathise with those that get irritated with references to other "similar" music. To our trained ears, TD sounds nothing like Vangelis or JMJ. However, in this day and age people seem to need to categorise and reference everything. It does seem lazy.

Strangely, considering my huge record collection I find it very difficult to reference artists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:16 pm 

TD are unique no other references are possible

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache

Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ] 

Jump to: