Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:42 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
ant wrote:
:( Short but not very good review of this in DVD Monthly, July 07 Edition. Reviewer says "they are revisiting Phaedra in all its motionless avant-garde glory. It's very, erm..long. A delightful prospect for fans but incredibly tiresome for everyone else". Gives it 5 out of 10. Obviously a uneducated philistine!! Still, 'tis their loss IMHO. :(


zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz usual nonsense :roll:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
ant wrote:
:( Short but not very good review of this in DVD Monthly, July 07 Edition. Reviewer says "they are revisiting Phaedra in all its motionless avant-garde glory. It's very, erm..long. A delightful prospect for fans but incredibly tiresome for everyone else". Gives it 5 out of 10. Obviously a uneducated philistine!! Still, 'tis their loss IMHO. :(


I wouldn't read too much into this. A DVD magazine will probably concentrate on the production quality, rather than the musical content.

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Scotland
ant wrote:
:( Short but not very good review of this in DVD Monthly, July 07 Edition. Reviewer says "they are revisiting Phaedra in all its motionless avant-garde glory. It's very, erm..long. A delightful prospect for fans but incredibly tiresome for everyone else". Gives it 5 out of 10. Obviously a uneducated philistine!! Still, 'tis their loss IMHO. :(


To quote Clint Eastwood on this reviewer.......

"Opinions are like a*seholes, everybody has one...."

:wink:

_________________
Be at one with the sequencing.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:51 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
Hobo wrote:
I for one would not want my ugly mug ruining a TD DVD. I'm hoping the Astoria steadycam bloke has managed to avoid me, or there is some judicial editing.

Should have been with me at the back of the hall, skulking in the shadows. :wink:

Actually I've just been watching a DVD of Saga recorded in the early 80s and I was somewhere in the front row of the show. Fortunately all shots of the audience are long shots and difficult to make out. I think that if I'd seen my gurney it would have ruined the DVD for me.

My younger brother makes an appearance on Rush's Show of Hands and I know he doesn't like that, especially if you freeze frame it, take a screen shot, blow it up to A4 size, print it out and put it in the post. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... eview.html

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html


zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz what an ass :roll: :arrow:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:38 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html


once again, cheers Andy


tiresome for everyone else?......nah, its just how it should be, timeless



great DVD (despite issues we all know) of a great gig :D

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html

The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:30 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/20 ... y-off.html

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:16 pm 
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html

The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.


I know that I watch genius right now! Brilliant dvd! Can't wait for the Astoria dvd!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Pertou wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html

The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.


I know that I watch genius right now! Brilliant dvd! Can't wait for the Astoria dvd!


some critics actually liked it:

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra 35th Anniversary
Concert: Live In London
****
Voiceprint VPDVD 29
Pinch us - it's still incredible
At the height of their fame in 1976 Tangerine Dream had a magnetic pull on Afghan-coated, platform heeled youths. In Dublin in 1976 (sic), the excitement at the National Stadium was palpable. Queues stretched from the Stadium on the outskirts of the city all the way into town. In retrospect, the gig was classic Dream: Peter Baumann, Christoph Franke and Edgar Froese appeared on stage facing their gigantic Moogs, backs to the audience, invisible progenitors of electronic washes of sound.
And that's how this begins, but this time only Froese remains. Instead of real Moogs we get virtual ones, but it's still three people shrouded in black with their backs to the audience. The concert was filmed in June 2005 and its release coincides with the Dream's latest tribute to Syd Barrett, Madcap's Flaming Duty. Phaedra is still a miracle in 'melting music' and how those lone piano tones rise up through the water of electronic eddies like bubbling plops is a wonder. Though the performance stretches out to include guitarists, saxophinists (sic) and a strident version of Purple Haze, it never reaches the heights of the classic sound of such tracks as Phaedra's Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares.
Mark Prendergast

Record Collector, July 2007. Page 110

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
http://the-archive-plus.blogspot.com/2007/06/citrus-slumber-sbe-dvd-review.html

The reviewer obviously doesn't know when he is watching genius.


I know that I watch genius right now! Brilliant dvd! Can't wait for the Astoria dvd!


some critics actually liked it:

Tangerine Dream
Phaedra 35th Anniversary
Concert: Live In London
****
Voiceprint VPDVD 29
Pinch us - it's still incredible
At the height of their fame in 1976 Tangerine Dream had a magnetic pull on Afghan-coated, platform heeled youths. In Dublin in 1976 (sic), the excitement at the National Stadium was palpable. Queues stretched from the Stadium on the outskirts of the city all the way into town. In retrospect, the gig was classic Dream: Peter Baumann, Christoph Franke and Edgar Froese appeared on stage facing their gigantic Moogs, backs to the audience, invisible progenitors of electronic washes of sound.
And that's how this begins, but this time only Froese remains. Instead of real Moogs we get virtual ones, but it's still three people shrouded in black with their backs to the audience. The concert was filmed in June 2005 and its release coincides with the Dream's latest tribute to Syd Barrett, Madcap's Flaming Duty. Phaedra is still a miracle in 'melting music' and how those lone piano tones rise up through the water of electronic eddies like bubbling plops is a wonder. Though the performance stretches out to include guitarists, saxophinists (sic) and a strident version of Purple Haze, it never reaches the heights of the classic sound of such tracks as Phaedra's Mysterious Semblance At The Strand Of Nightmares.
Mark Prendergast

Record Collector, July 2007. Page 110

Mark Prendergast - that's a familiar name. Did he do the liner notes for one of the TD collections?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:41 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Tangents I think Chris

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Scotland
The SBE DVD arrived yesterday and i gave it a quick watch. Excellent stuff, especially the start with Phaedra, Rubycon etc.....

I found the sound quality overall to be perfectly acceptable, although having limited time i did sort of skim through DVD.

Also i didn't notice any problem what so ever with the picture, no white lines or anything... :D

Am gonna give it a more detailed screening later this evening...... :wink:

_________________
Be at one with the sequencing.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:09 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
24db wrote:
Tangents I think Chris

Spot on once again Andy. Just dusted down my copy. Can't believe this came out in 1994. Where does the time go?


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8 [ 114 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage