Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Pertou wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Pertou wrote:
There's also a beer tent, but they don't play any TD... They play crappy music, but not excactly biker music...
If you'll excuse me for a minute, I'll make them play some TD... maybe Streethawk, would be appropriate.


Ask them to play Zeit :arrow:


I could burn a cdr of Zeit and write "Status Quo - Whatever I Want" on it... 8)


Imagine their reaction when the music starts playing :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :arrow:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:25 pm 
Imagine me being chased by bikers... :D


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 1:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Pertou wrote:
Imagine me being chased by bikers... :D


Getting your rollerblades on would be a good idea :wink: :lol:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:03 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue May 08, 2007 11:29 pm
Posts: 48
Location: Derbyshire
Has anyone any ideas as to why TD seem to have ignored Cylone for such a long period. It hasn't appeared on any compilations that I'm aware of, has not been performed at any of the live shows I've attended since 1986, and hasn't been the subject of any tangentising apart from the references made to it on DM4's Messenger track. The vocals may not have been to everyone's taste (personally I didn't mind), but the quality of much of the music was tremendous. Edgar seems to have revisited a large cross section of both solo and TD works from that era (some less deserving IMHO) to a greater of lesser extent but Cyclone lurks untouched in the background almost like a bad taste. Perhaps this will be rectified in the near future, maybe it will be rejigged in some form for live performances, rerecorded and tangentised minus vocals, or appear in a future Dream Mix Album. Or is it simply another recording locked in legal ownership disputes. Who knows, but IMHO, it hasn't gained the recognition it deserves and many
fans speak highly of it. If anyone has any information that puts a different slant on things, I'd be really interested to read it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:22 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Scotland
nightmare strand wrote:
Has anyone any ideas as to why TD seem to have ignored Cylone for such a long period. It hasn't appeared on any compilations that I'm aware of, has not been performed at any of the live shows I've attended since 1986, and hasn't been the subject of any tangentising apart from the references made to it on DM4's Messenger track. The vocals may not have been to everyone's taste (personally I didn't mind), but the quality of much of the music was tremendous. Edgar seems to have revisited a large cross section of both solo and TD works from that era (some less deserving IMHO) to a greater of lesser extent but Cyclone lurks untouched in the background almost like a bad taste. Perhaps this will be rectified in the near future, maybe it will be rejigged in some form for live performances, rerecorded and tangentised minus vocals, or appear in a future Dream Mix Album. Or is it simply another recording locked in legal ownership disputes. Who knows, but IMHO, it hasn't gained the recognition it deserves and many
fans speak highly of it. If anyone has any information that puts a different slant on things, I'd be really interested to read it.


I've heard a few fans over the years request that Cyclone be re-released minus the vocals.

I can't say that the vocals really bother me, although it would be interesting to hear the album without them.... :)

_________________
Be at one with the sequencing.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
Cyclone without vocals would be like Rubycon without the Seagull :shock:



:arrow:

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
bigmoog wrote:
Cyclone without vocals would be like Rubycon without the Seagull :shock:



:arrow:


I have to agree with you 100% BM..........If they want to re-record it in another shape or form thats fine,but please leave the vocals alone.....its part of the albums history.........All IMHO of course :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Köln, Germany
Some fans seem to have a rather dogmatic view of TD. "TD with vocals is no real TD" or something like that.
I think this is simply rediculous. Although "Cyclone" is not one of those albums I listen to very often, I enjoy it. I also love the "Tyger" album (especially the tremendous title track) and "Madcap's Flaming Duty" (with the fantastic Chris Hausl). And then there's the Dante trilogy of course.

I must confess I'm not very fond of the 1978 concert recordings. Somehow these improvisations fail to grab me. But the album is great and it's a mystery to me why it's not appreciated more and why Edgar left off this album from his "Tangents" box. :?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
Schulze wrote:
I've heard a few fans over the years request that Cyclone be re-released minus the vocals.

Errr....that would be me. :oops:

I seem to remember saying on the old forum something along the lines of I wouldn't mind hearing what Cyclone would sound like without vocals. Personally I don't mind the vocals although I do remember the shock when I first heard them.

Mind you I think I said the same thing about the tracks on Tyger, then I heard the live version of Tyger (the track) and realised that I missed the vocals.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
'some' fans want Cyclone minus the music and vocals ;)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:10 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 pm
Posts: 11363
Location: Glasgow
24db wrote:
'some' fans want Cyclone minus the music and vocals ;)


I'd certainly find it interesting.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:24 am 
Chris Monk wrote:
Mind you I think I said the same thing about the tracks on Tyger, then I heard the live version of Tyger (the track) and realised that I missed the vocals.


I listen to Day Shift now, which is a 'minimal' instrumental version (demo?) of a dream of Death from MFD. I sing along, play airguitar and air drums inside my head, because without that it's not complete. However, it's still extremely sensual and unlike whatever any band could achieve.
I love TD...


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 479
Location: Scotland
Chris Monk wrote:
Schulze wrote:
I've heard a few fans over the years request that Cyclone be re-released minus the vocals.

Errr....that would be me. :oops:

I seem to remember saying on the old forum something along the lines of I wouldn't mind hearing what Cyclone would sound like without vocals. Personally I don't mind the vocals although I do remember the shock when I first heard them.

Mind you I think I said the same thing about the tracks on Tyger, then I heard the live version of Tyger (the track) and realised that I missed the vocals.


What about a re-released, remastered Cyclone, with additional bonus tracks i.e. tracks 1 & 2 without the vocals, and space permitting possibly a live track from around the same period..... :wink:

_________________
Be at one with the sequencing.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
the whole point of Cyclone, for me, is that at the time, it was a shock, a real return to the surprising experimentation of TD's early music. Cyclone is an outsider album, different and quite a classic. Better an album divide a fan base than be met with indifference. Looking back near 30 years on, I appreciate this recording for what it is : another unique TD record, as unique as all the others. Total music. :D

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:01 am
Posts: 2459
Location: Iris & Linda's underwear draw
epsilon75 wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
Cyclone without vocals would be like Rubycon without the Seagull :shock:



:arrow:


I have to agree with you 100% BM..........If they want to re-record it in another shape or form thats fine,but please leave the vocals alone.....its part of the albums history.........All IMHO of course :wink:


I heard the unvocal version at the birmingham odeon 1978
still fantastic IMHO

_________________
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4 [ 47 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage