Hamlet vs. Backstreet Hero

epsilon75
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by epsilon75 »

Have to say i really enjoyed Edgar's Solo in "Talking to Maddox" at the SBE 05,i was directly in front of him and it was just a sheer joy to watch him at work........totally wonderful IMHO.
Also a highlight of the Tempodrom concert for me personally was Edgar and Bernhards Dual on Guitars throughout "Ride on a Ray" Oh it was tremendous,but sadly did not make the DVD :cry:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:Have to say i really enjoyed Edgar's Solo in "Talking to Maddox" at the SBE 05,i was directly in front of him and it was just a sheer joy to watch him at work........totally wonderful IMHO.
Also a highlight of the Tempodrom concert for me personally was Edgar and Bernhards Dual on Guitars throughout "Ride on a Ray" Oh it was tremendous,but sadly did not make the DVD :cry:
I love Talking To Maddox. Excellent guitar work on this one!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Talking To Maddox:
After the break the band returned, Edgar with a guitar. The crowd was overexcited, but he called for sober-mindedness, with his facial expressions and gesticulation. His guitar solo was beautiful, with something as rare as wah-wah pedal.
I heard the most from the men's room, where I saw a monumentally drunk man. I guess he couldn't remember much afterwards!

But I really could, that track is just so emotional, I wanna cry... my favourite 'EWF' track
tangmaster

Post by tangmaster »

What has Talking to Maddox (a superb track) to do with the other two?
The way a world of dreams is going on!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

tangmaster wrote:What has Talking to Maddox (a superb track) to do with the other two?
Edgar Froese on guitar, perhaps?

I have seen topics go far more off-topic, than this. :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

New Edgar guitar solo thread.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

tangmaster wrote:What has Talking to Maddox (a superb track) to do with the other two?
Just thought id mention it as EF plays the guitar :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
PurpleTwilight

Re: Hamlet vs. Backstreet Hero

Post by PurpleTwilight »

When I read this thread years ago, I was a bigger fan of "Backstreet Hero". I must have gradually warmed up to Edgar's guitar style as I expanded my TD collection. Nowadays, I generally find Edgar's playing more enjoyable than Jerome's. I used to like Jerome's "hair metal" sound, but I began to notice how a lot of his 90s solos revolved around the same two or three tricks (string-bending, whammy bar dive-bombs, and of course the trills that trail off into la-la land). Edgar's solos were less gimmicky, and even though he had probably lost some of his youthful dexterity by that point, he always had an element of spontaneity that kept things interesting from show to show.

I'm fairly confident that the 220 Volt Live version of "Hamlet" was a studio take, as it wasn't played that way in Seattle (or at any other show that I've heard). When Edgar shreds notes in that version, it sounds polished and absolutely magical. The high likelihood of it being a studio take doesn't diminish my enjoyment of the track, though. I often busy myself listening to the various live recordings of "Hamlet" from TT and/or TL. The most interesting one that comes to mind is from the San Juan show in 1992, when the entire backing track goes silent for five seconds and Edgar just soldiers on, unfazed.

I remember one interview where Edgar bemoaned Jerome's lack of discipline when it came to practicing guitar. Like I said earlier, this really shows in the 90s recordings. Jerome's obviously been working on his guitar chops since he left the group, but one has to wonder just how much better he could have been. Nowadays, the only Jerome guitar solo from the TD era that really blows me away is on "Cries and Whispers", and it's a shame that he couldn't capture the same essence in "Backstreet Hero" and other tracks.
Jon

Re: Hamlet vs. Backstreet Hero

Post by Jon »

I prefer Backstreet Hero.