DM 2.1

Schulze
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Schulze »

24db wrote:
Schulze wrote:
24db wrote:
NP Graham, although I don't think I have to say much about all the old stuff...that sells itself
I've actually only got 1 Johannes Schmoelling album in my collection - "Wuivend Riet" :oops:

So this is really all I've heard, so as someone just starting to explore the mans solo work I reckon the "Images and Memory" is perhaps a good place to start.
WOW...yeah, it'll blow you away mate...it's got all the best bits from his other albums, together with all the 'rare' stuff. You won't find a better introduction to his stuff....and it has my all time favourite from White Out...A Big Continent...the best synth solo ever!!! IMHO
Can't wait now....

Roll on 9th July...... :wink:
Be at one with the sequencing.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:....and it has my all time favourite from White Out...A Big Continent...the best synth solo ever!!! IMHO
You're not wrong there mate. If that doesn't bring a tear to your eye nothing will.
nightmare strand

Post by nightmare strand »

Have to agree with 24db, A Great Continent has one of the most distinctive, understated yet punchy solos you'll hear - a geniune masterpiece. The original Ice Walk from the White Out album is another genuine masterstroke. The entire album in fact is quite unlike any other synth album you're likely to come across, it has a pace and atmosphere all of it's own.

If you need another example of Schmoelling's genius and versatility, Fluid Memories For Flo from the reissue of Zoo of Tranquility shows a different side to his craft. It's not the sort of music I would normally opt for out of choice, but the world always seems a more chilled out place once it's cast it's spell. It might not grab you instantly, but there's every chance the rewards will come with perseverence.
24db

Post by 24db »

nightmare strand wrote:Have to agree with 24db, A Great Continent has one of the most distinctive, understated yet punchy solos you'll hear - a geniune masterpiece. The original Ice Walk from the White Out album is another genuine masterstroke. The entire album in fact is quite unlike any other synth album you're likely to come across, it has a pace and atmosphere all of it's own.

If you need another example of Schmoelling's genius and versatility, Fluid Memories For Flo from the reissue of Zoo of Tranquility shows a different side to his craft. It's not the sort of music I would normally opt for out of choice, but the world always seems a more chilled out place once it's cast it's spell. It might not grab you instantly, but there's every chance the rewards will come with perseverence.
btw...three reasons why Johannes solo works so well

1. He actually knows what makes a good solo...rather than playing for the entire length of the track. Tension builds and then comes the release! Coupled with some great use of mod and pitch wheels

2. The lead sound morphs half way through each note (if held long enough) giving extra interest to the solo, a bit like how an overdriven guitar sounds as it decays...but in synth terms

3. Those quick descending note-runs he plays are stunning, a bit like a dancer skipping between sections it adds further interest and yet he's ready for the next bit and doesn't 'fall over'

'for me' the only person who has ever got to close to what Johannes does on this track is Joe Zawinul on Weather Reports last album (This is This). On this Joe plays a heartful solo to his parents titled 'I'll never forget you', his style is totally different to Joahnnes (from memory he never uses his mod wheel..I should check these details).
24db

Post by 24db »

A note from DM2.1 sleeve notes:

P.S. Anyone who has stolen this release, downloaded or copied it illegally, or returned it to the vendor shall be cursed with eternal download problems, bad breath, complete loss of homour and so called 'Berlin School Sounds'
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:A note from DM2.1 sleeve notes:

P.S. Anyone who has stolen this release, downloaded or copied it illegally, or returned it to the vendor shall be cursed with eternal download problems, bad breath, complete loss of homour and so called 'Berlin School Sounds'

:lol: :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Good Grief :shock: Even Jerome has jumped on the humour trail :oops:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

epsilon75 wrote:

Its this kind of bandwagon jumping that rilly annoys us sirius, genuwin EM fans, why humour has to be added to everything and anything I will never ever understand............... :roll: :wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:

as you said, better than being a grizzlie. It won't add to the sales though IMHO
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

as you said, better than being a grizzlie. It won't add to the sales though IMHO
I have cd which says you gain impotence, if you illegally copy it...
24db

Post by 24db »

Pertou wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: Good Grief :shock: Even Jerome has jumped on the humour trail :oops:
did you? ;)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

24db wrote:
Pertou wrote:
24db wrote: as you said, better than being a grizzlie. It won't add to the sales though IMHO
did you? ;)
:D ..no! :lol: it's that bad!
Last edited by Pertou on Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

I think the sales will struggle Andy and thats sad AFAIC.........He could have realeased this as a double with a disc of unreleased music and people would have jumped at it........This man have got talent by the bucketload,but maybe marketing is not his strong point, 1 extra track is never going to draw in punters when you are new to a solo career.....all IMHO of course :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote: Good Grief :shock: Even Jerome has jumped on the humour trail :oops:
I think the sales will struggle Andy and thats sad AFAIC.........He could have realeased this as a double with a disc of unreleased music and people would have jumped at it........This man have got talent by the bucketload,but maybe marketing is not his strong point, 1 extra track is never going to draw in punters when you are new to a solo career.....all IMHO of course :wink:
according to the sleeve notes there's a DM4.2 planned for later in the year...perhaps that might draw in more punters. Btw the sleeve notes confirm what we've all thought for years...the DM series are basically Jerome solo albums.
Btw I like the graphics on the sleeve...but it's a shame there's no photos from Monica
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Well a DM 4.2 sounds very interesting,lets hope we get a shedload of unrealeased music on it :idea: :D MFs photos are always very welcome,but there is obviously a reason for them not being there :arrow: