Ricochet...again

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Ricochet...again

Post by 24db »

lemonstar wrote:
24db wrote:I know it's been done (probably to death) but I justed wanted to start a thread on what I consider to be TD's finest moments (ok, make that one of their finest moments) Ricochet. For me it's the ultimate sequencer album, covering almost everything I found (and still find) amazing about the group. Polyrhythmic sequences, emotional Mellotron and piano, very odd Tron effects, some even weirder melodies, and some nice guitar and drums from messrs Froese and Franke.
My sentiments exactly. The first TD album I ever bought - without doubt the single piece of music that I have played and listened to more times than any other over the lonest period of time (decades!)
24db wrote: I still miss the clapping from the beginning of side two (for some reason this was edited out when Virgin remastered the album on CD....the fools, it adds a perfect atmosphere for the piano intro on part 2)
Unbelieveable! I signed up to the forums and this was the first question on my mind - what exactly is that sound? I was sick to find the mysterious sound had been removed when I bought the CD as I was hoping to get a better listen. I was torn between two ideas 1) it sounded like someone either clapping their hands (or rather dusting their hands together at anacute angle if you can visualise that) or 2)a bank or series of switches being flipped - does anyone actually have the definative answer to the question about what this sound is - I would love to know for sure? Does anyone remember seeing or hearing this mystery sound being made at a concert?
a bit more on Ricochet:

Edgar..."For Ricochet we used a rented eight track in Hemel Hempstead and we searched for a week in a mass of forty two or forty three tape sets for sequences; we still think the second side is one of the best pieces we'd ever done. It was taken from nine concerts and we added little bridges to join them together, not a new melody but just a low tone that made a key change. You see, we don't believe that whatever happens a concert should be put on an album- we think that the audience should get the best out of the whole tour. We couldn't add new sequencers on that album because we hadn't recorded a trigger track on the tape. Normally we'd do that today, because even with modern technology you get a sequence out of tune or out of step and a SMPTE code on the tape will let you overdub it in the studio".

Were you still using a drum kit on Ricochet?

Chris-"We were using the first electronic drum machines from Roland, plus a few percussive effects set up on the Moog Modular systems triggered by sequencers. On side one there was one part where we used congas: when we had the second side finished we didn't want to do the first side the same way so we went to the Manor and put the first side together in a proper studio."

Electronic Soundmaker & Computer Music, Jan 1985
hansx

Post by hansx »

24db wrote:
lemonstar wrote:
24db wrote:I know it's been done (probably to death) but I justed wanted to start a thread on what I consider to be TD's finest moments (ok, make that one of their finest moments) Ricochet. For me it's the ultimate sequencer album, covering almost everything I found (and still find) amazing about the group. Polyrhythmic sequences, emotional Mellotron and piano, very odd Tron effects, some even weirder melodies, and some nice guitar and drums from messrs Froese and Franke.
My sentiments exactly. The first TD album I ever bought - without doubt the single piece of music that I have played and listened to more times than any other over the lonest period of time (decades!)
24db wrote: I still miss the clapping from the beginning of side two (for some reason this was edited out when Virgin remastered the album on CD....the fools, it adds a perfect atmosphere for the piano intro on part 2)
Unbelieveable! I signed up to the forums and this was the first question on my mind - what exactly is that sound? I was sick to find the mysterious sound had been removed when I bought the CD as I was hoping to get a better listen. I was torn between two ideas 1) it sounded like someone either clapping their hands (or rather dusting their hands together at anacute angle if you can visualise that) or 2)a bank or series of switches being flipped - does anyone actually have the definative answer to the question about what this sound is - I would love to know for sure? Does anyone remember seeing or hearing this mystery sound being made at a concert?
a bit more on Ricochet:

Edgar..."For Ricochet we used a rented eight track in Hemel Hempstead and we searched for a week in a mass of forty two or forty three tape sets for sequences; we still think the second side is one of the best pieces we'd ever done. It was taken from nine concerts and we added little bridges to join them together, not a new melody but just a low tone that made a key change. You see, we don't believe that whatever happens a concert should be put on an album- we think that the audience should get the best out of the whole tour. We couldn't add new sequencers on that album because we hadn't recorded a trigger track on the tape. Normally we'd do that today, because even with modern technology you get a sequence out of tune or out of step and a SMPTE code on the tape will let you overdub it in the studio".

Chris-"We were using the first electronic drum machines from Roland, plus a few percussive effects set up on the Moog Modular systems triggered by sequencers. On side one there was one part where we used congas: when we had the second side finished we didn't want to do the first side the same way so we went to the Manor and put the first side together in a proper studio."

Just playing this one again. And still the best.
Like the backgroundstories about the cd. Shame that I can't read your blog. Am not invited, it says.
Hope that from Ricochet somewhere in future a rerecording will be made. Or is it only me? maybe something for a poll.
24db

Post by 24db »

hansx wrote:
24db wrote:
lemonstar wrote: My sentiments exactly. The first TD album I ever bought - without doubt the single piece of music that I have played and listened to more times than any other over the lonest period of time (decades!)
a bit more on Ricochet:

Like the backgroundstories about the cd. Shame that I can't read your blog. Am not invited, it says.
Hope that from Ricochet somewhere in future a rerecording will be made. Or is it only me? maybe something for a poll.
No invites left :(
hansx

Post by hansx »

It was a while ago that I played it. Usually once in the two or three weeks it is on in my player. Now that it is again playing, I got the feeling and hope for a rerecording. But what also should be a splendid idea is release a vaultrecording from the same tour. There should be something on the shelves, shoudn' t it?
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

hansx wrote:
Not just you. Plenty of TD fans are shut out of this blog. And judging how few invites there are, it is safe to say that most TD fans are prevented from reading this space.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I gave my full blog invite up to allow another member access as i had read absolutely everything on it,if someone else has done the same why not give up your invite to allow someone else access :idea:

One thing is for sure,this is a fantastic blog and gives hours of fascinating and very interesting reading 8) :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

epsilon75 wrote:I gave my full blog invite up to allow another member access as i had read absolutely everything on it,if someone else has done the same why not give up your invite to allow someone else access :idea:

One thing is for sure,this is a fantastic blog and gives hours of fascinating and very interesting reading 8) :D

That was very nice of you. Extremely nice.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

TheMan wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:I gave my full blog invite up to allow another member access as i had read absolutely everything on it,if someone else has done the same why not give up your invite to allow someone else access :idea:

That was very nice of you. Extremely nice.
At the end of the day i think its the least a fan can do for another fan not fortunate enough to have gained access,hopefully those who have read the blog contents will follow suit and oblige. :idea:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

TheMan wrote:
hansx wrote:
Not just you. Plenty of TD fans are shut out of this blog. And judging how few invites there are, it is safe to say that most TD fans are prevented from reading this space.
Most fans? 128 say you're wrong :)

TD fans

Lads...ONE last time...if you want access 'you' need to email me and you will get an invite. I have explained this before...DO NOT ACCESS IT AS A GUEST, REGISTER! here's my email ajking106 AT aol.com

Currently there are over 80 invites left...BUT there are 8 people who took the bother of getting an invite who haven't registered (yes the Blogger system allows me to see who has actually done this) and their invites just sit there for 30 days and then are wasted

ball's in your court TD fans, a single click and email allows you access...or not
timer

Post by timer »

Andy - if some one else here wants to have a look at your excellent blog - please give them my access. 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

timer wrote:Andy - if some one else here wants to have a look at your excellent blog - please give them my access. 8)
with respect everyone who asked have
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

24db wrote:

TD has only 128 fans? I thought it was in the thousands.
24db

Post by 24db »

TheMan wrote:
24db wrote:

TD has only 128 fans? I thought it was in the thousands.
nah, they're adobed in later, btw have a nice day RM
Last edited by 24db on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timer

Post by timer »

24db wrote:
timer wrote:Andy - if some one else here wants to have a look at your excellent blog - please give them my access. 8)
with respect everyone who asked have

No worries either way mate 8)
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

I had an invite and couldn't use it at the time for some reason. Sincere apologies if I've wasted mine. I'll look up the invitation email and try again..

Ricochet never goes more than a week or so before it comes up in the car for a spin when I'm travelling around the Suffolk countryside. For some reason, I recently really focussed in on the latter part of pt2 and really listened to the multiple sequences expertly mixed in and out of each other - what a masterpiece.

A real favourite still and it' amazing how familiarity never seems to blunt appreciation.