Near Dark

sparrow
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by sparrow »

Good post Jacob..I agree it's TD's best movie. I originally hired the video just because of the TD score. I was pleasantly surprised how well mad the film was. I now own the score & the DVD. I'm actually finding myself liking TD's movie scores more & More whereas before I could take or leave them.
boruncy

Post by boruncy »

Love this one too. It's also a great contemporary Vampire movie and my fave of all movies using a TD score. Am I alone in thinking Calebs Blues is OK.
Could not agree more sparrow. It is certainly one of my fav TD scored movies as well, and as vampire movies go, this is as good as it gets.
As usual Lance Henrikson proved he is a superb actor! :wink:
Ode To Granny A
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

I have great memories, from 1988, renting the movie and buying the soundtrack on the same day. It was a sunny day with a petrol blue sky and I watched Near Dark twice, staying up most of the night. I almost felt like a vampire myself.

Great movie, even if the sound's bad on the vocal soundtrack. Subtitles help. :wink:
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

sparrow wrote:Love this one too. It's also a great contemporary Vampire movie amd my fave of all movies using a TD score. Am I alone in thinking Calebs Blues is OK. :oops:
Caleb's Blues is a pile of absolute DRIBBLE. That song is such a total embarassment to everything I like about TD. I'd rather listen to the 23 CD box set of linda spa's greatest hit.
rattymouse

Post by rattymouse »

Pertou wrote:This is this the soundtrack to the film, where the sympathetic young man, Caleb, falls in love with the mysterious Mae. However, Mae turns out to be a vampire...
Off course, he is bitten, and despite many attempted escapes, he is held by Mae's gang of aggressive vampires, and he has to go through an awfully lot. Mae is insecure with the situation, because she's in love with Caleb.
In my opinion, Near Dark is the best film, Tangerine Dream has made the music to. The film, as well as the music is very 80's.
The music is tremendously heavy, but with a gothic touch. If you have to compare production wise, the Alice Cooper records called Constrictor and Raise Your Fist And Yell, comes close, but I can't recommend those!
Tangerine Dream's contribution to the film has helped a lot to raise the level, because Near Dark is a dynamic album, with lots of variation.
The higlights can be heard in Pick Up At High Noon and Fight At Dawn, which has sequences based on the very dangerous one, that ended the Poland album with a bang!
Especially the last mentioned is very heavy, and you can blame it on the lively and aggressive drumming.
Why only 8/10? Well, the opening track, Caleb's Blues is quite doubtful. In short, a failed attempt to incorporate blues melodies in an electronic context. Luckily, this is the only minus on this record.
Near Dark has become quite a rarity, but I bought it at Groove Unlimited and they might have some copies left.

8/10
Near Dark is an awesome soundtrack. Second only to Firestarter. But the first track, Caleb Blues is just awful in EVERY way shape and form.
multivit72

Post by multivit72 »

Just bought this onamazon marketplace and quite like it! No snippets here like other soundtracks, so there is time to develop some nice ideas.

And, yes, I like "Caleb's Blues" - fun, to have something different...
ant

Post by ant »

:D I too like Caleb's Blues but I think it was not actually used in the film. :D
Biggus Dickus
rigel

Post by rigel »

ant wrote::D I too like Caleb's Blues but I think it was not actually used in the film. :D
I remember way back telling a friend (who liked the soundrack but hadn't yet watched the film) that "Caleb's Blues" wasn't used in the movie. He really liked that piece so was disappointed. I think it's fun and different, hardly a great TD track, but then soundtracks often throw up anomalies and out-of-character music. No great harm in that. Although I like a lot of the Legend soundtrack, I find much of that music not typical of TD at all.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

rigel wrote:I think it's fun and different, hardly a great TD track, but then soundtracks often throw up anomalies and out-of-character music. No great harm in that.
Totally agree. It's not your typical TD, in fact at one point I convinced myself it wasn't tme at all, but it's not that bad either.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
Erik

Post by Erik »

rattymouse wrote:
sparrow wrote:Love this one too. It's also a great contemporary Vampire movie amd my fave of all movies using a TD score. Am I alone in thinking Calebs Blues is OK. :oops:
Caleb's Blues is a pile of absolute DRIBBLE. That song is such a total embarassment to everything I like about TD. I'd rather listen to the 23 CD box set of linda spa's greatest hit.
you should hear the second and third tracks from "Jahreszeiten der Liebe". outstandingly bad stuff. not in TD standards, but just in music standards in general.
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

I'd rather listen to the 23 CD box set of linda spa's greatest hit.
where can this be purchased.. :?:

:lol:
Erik

Post by Erik »

Caleb's Blues isn't too bad. pretty cheap sounding, but a good vibe
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "