Optical Race

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Optical Race

Post by cantosis »

what are your opinions on this one? been listening to it today for the first time in about 10 years......not one of the better TD albums in my opinion.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Optical Race, 1988. 5/10

Optical Race is the first record by the Haslinger/Froese duo. And after the departure of Mr. Franke, as Froese once consequently called him in an interview, the sound of Optical Race aims at a more shallow sound.
The track called Marakesh is very rhythmically complex in it's structure. In my head I imagine how great it could be, was it recorded by the wellknown prog.band instrumentation of electric guitars, keyboards, bass-guitars and drums.
Marakesh is a living proof, why the productions and instrumentation is such an important factor, when it come to making a good song.
Atlas Eyes starts out as New Age, only to end in cheesy muzak. I used to make fun of this track and the silly melody line, but wasn't it for the fact that my face turned blue from listening to the countless live versions from 1988 and 1990, I have learned to accept it.
Mothers of Rain is better, and a fairly good piece for relaxation, too. I don't mind the clinical production, in this case.
Twin Soul Tribe is boring. The title track seems like a bad joke, where Tangerine Dreams plays calypso(!?!), while Cat Scan is bad in a very good way, actually! It's impossible not to get carried away with the cheerful melody and the rhythms, although it production-wise has been unsuccessfully outdated.
Sun Gate isn't decidly good, but once again Edgar saves it from being a catastrophe. By the way, the drumfills doesn't get any worse, than this.
Objectically, Optical Race might be a miserable album, at least in context to their earlier productions. Anyways, the album has slowly crept in underneath my skin. That is due to the fact, that most of the tracks are omnipresent on concert recordings, compilations and the re-recording of the entire album on The Melrose Years from 2002! That's why it feels as though i've heard Optical Race millions of times.
Subjectically, Optical Race is very nice and straight-forward, with a considerable amount of charm.
(You can't say you've heard TD, if you haven't heard this side of the band, as well.)
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Pertou wrote:Optical Race, 1988. 5/10

Optical Race is the first record by the Haslinger/Froese duo. And after the departure of Mr. Franke, as Froese once consequently called him in an interview, the sound of Optical Race aims at a more shallow sound.
The track called Marakesh is very rhythmically complex in it's structure. In my head I imagine how great it could be, was it recorded by the wellknown prog.band instrumentation of electric guitars, keyboards, bass-guitars and drums.
Marakesh is a living proof, why the productions and instrumentation is such an important factor, when it come to making a good song.
Atlas Eyes starts out as New Age, only to end in cheesy muzak. I used to make fun of this track and the silly melody line, but wasn't it for the fact that my face turned blue from listening to the countless live versions from 1988 and 1990, I have learned to accept it.
Mothers of Rain is better, and a fairly good piece for relaxation, too. I don't mind the clinical production, in this case.
Twin Soul Tribe is boring. The title track seems like a bad joke, where Tangerine Dreams plays calypso(!?!), while Cat Scan is bad in a very good way, actually! It's impossible not to get carried away with the cheerful melody and the rhythms, although it production-wise has been unsuccessfully outdated.
Sun Gate isn't decidly good, but once again Edgar saves it from being a catastrophe. By the way, the drumfills doesn't get any worse, than this.
Objectically, Optical Race might be a miserable album, at least in context to their earlier productions. Anyways, the album has slowly crept in underneath my skin. That is due to the fact, that most of the tracks are omnipresent on concert recordings, compilations and the re-recording of the entire album on The Melrose Years from 2002! That's why it feels as though i've heard Optical Race millions of times.
Subjectically, Optical Race is very nice and straight-forward, with a considerable amount of charm.
(You can't say you've heard TD, if you haven't heard this side of the band, as well.)

Nice review. This album sounds a lot more dated to me then other ones that came out before it....not sure why that is.

By the way Pertou I love your TD website, its my favorite fan one.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Thanks Cantosis! I'm glad some read it. Please don't hesitate to bringforth review requests!
24db

Post by 24db »

I've always liked it, bar the title track which was cheesy in 1989 and hasn't improved since.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:I've always liked it, bar the title track which was cheesy in 1989 and hasn't improved since.
Must agree with you,bar from OR itself this is a fine album IMHO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

you know the BM's thoughts on this record :D

so not saying nuffin :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

enlighten me, I dont know what you think?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Optical Race

At the time, I felt indifferent about it, but Loved the LP cover, very cool with its cut out sleeve (Im a big fan of TD cover artwork). The short tracks I just couldnt get on with, it seemed too poppy, lightweight and ephemeral, too easy a listen, but pleasant enough.

Over the past few years (driven by my re evaluation of TD, 87-99), I began to really warm to OR, dated? oh yes, thin and hollow sounding, oh yes...but its concise and quite fulfilling...lightweight and sunny (great on the ipod)

for me, SUNGATE is one of the great TD tracks.....massively addictive and sublime in its pointedness and sharp evocative guitar.....

I regularly listen to OR, its not challenging nor 'cosmic'...but its great Electro Pop/Rawk....of its time, but strangely modern

IMHO, of course :wink:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Loved this album on release and still do. Strangely though I used to rave about Marakesh but now find it hard to listen to, it's just too bright and sharp. Still love Sungate and Cat Scan, the rest are all pretty good as well.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:Loved this album on release and still do. Strangely though I used to rave about Marakesh but now find it hard to listen to, it's just too bright and sharp. Still love Sungate and Cat Scan, the rest are all pretty good as well.
Got Marakesh as my ringtone.......I love it 8) :D
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

the album got a very good review in E&MM or Music Technology (or whatever it was calling itself at the time) when it came out originally
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Just listened to Optical Race from start to finish and it sounds great. Even Marakesh sounded pretty cool.... beginning to regret giving it a dissing. Should have listened to the album before commenting. Ghazal (Love Song), what a great way to finish an album.

was this the album TD were criticised for using Atari rather than PC?

-If so; the critics were muppets.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Just listened to Optical Race from start to finish and it sounds great. Even Marakesh sounded pretty cool.... beginning to regret giving it a dissing. Should have listened to the album before commenting. Ghazal (Love Song), what a great way to finish an album.

was this the album TD were criticised for using Atari rather than PC?

-If so; the critics were muppets.
I think Atari sponsored the US 1988 tour
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

Love this album to this day. Jeez it's nearly 20 years old now.