Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:45 pm
Posts: 177
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard TD on the radio ?

In my 30 odd years following them ive only heard them on the radio a few times. I was a bit too young when John Peel was playing Atem and I think he may have made it his album of the year or something !

I can remember Hyperborea making Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show Chart on Radio One. One week he played the title track and the following week Cinnamon Road. The next week it fell out of his top 30. Too much competion from Rush, Saxon and Def Leppard I expect !

Other than that I can remember hearing Tyger, London and Smile being played on some obscure station which had a foreign DJ trying to speek English.

Other than that ive heard nothing else at all


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:25 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 7393
Location: Scotland
Alan (fluff) Freeman payed a whole 40 odd minutes from the 75 tour. Appart from that I've hardly heard any TD. Stuart Maconie does play the odd bit on his Freak Zone on six music.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
That Freak Zone is a good show IMHO,i knew nothing about it until Andy told me about it last year...........GOOD 8)

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:31 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:05 pm
Posts: 11363
Location: Glasgow
I heard a snippet of an interview with Edgar & u hum !(CF) in 1986.
But we havent got radio yet down yer in zomerset.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:36 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
HYPERBOREA wrote:
I was wondering if anyone has ever heard TD on the radio ?

In my 30 odd years following them ive only heard them on the radio a few times. I was a bit too young when John Peel was playing Atem and I think he may have made it his album of the year or something !

I can remember Hyperborea making Tommy Vance's Friday Night Rock Show Chart on Radio One. One week he played the title track and the following week Cinnamon Road. The next week it fell out of his top 30. Too much competion from Rush, Saxon and Def Leppard I expect !

Other than that I can remember hearing Tyger, London and Smile being played on some obscure station which had a foreign DJ trying to speek English.

Other than that ive heard nothing else at all


Stuart Maconie has recently made Phaedra his LP of the week...twice...playing over 22 minutes of it (on Radio 6). He also played 18 minutes or so from Poland. Edgar has featured on a fair number of radio shows, the most recent one was a radio 6 on EM, before that BBC radio Scotland in 1997, Mixing it Berlin special 1999?, the story of the Mellotron, some programme with Paul Morley....I have about 36 recordings.

A few months back Edgar featured on Swedish radio

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:54 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
I discovered TD having heard Tommy Vance play the second part of Barbakane on the Friday Rock show.

Since then, I think I have only heard them once... this would have been in the late nineties when a single from Tyranny of Beauty or Goblins Club was out. I was gobsmacked, as it was on national Radio One... I was driving back from Devon on a Sunday afternoon. Alas, I cannot remember whose show it was, or the precise track that was played.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
fluff freeman played rah 75 a few times....bm has tapes.....once he played rah only to fade it out when the sequencers kicked in, not arf

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
whilst on the subject...Richard Skinner interviewed Chris and Edgar in 1984 and played excerpts from Poland.

Wade Gordon and Lou Gentile also did a 2 hour? interview with Edgar in the States (Edgar was interviewed over the phone at 4.00am CET) This was in 2002

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Last edited by 24db on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
On a slightly different tack, I remember a TV quiz show hosted by Paul McKenna in the late eighties (I forget what it was called)... when the audience had to vote, the cameras panned onto the audience, studio lights went doo-lally, and 'Love on a Real Train' played over the speaker.

Also, an episode of David Attenborough's 'Life on Earth' looked at single cell organisms under the microscope to the accompaniment of the first bars of 'Rubvcon Part One'.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:36 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
In the U.S., some of the material from the 90s finds it way onto New Age radio programs, which speaks volumes, IMO.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Sfearical Sequence wrote:
In the U.S., some of the material from the 90s finds it way onto New Age radio programs, which speaks volumes, IMO.


New Age has an audience? ;)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:43 am
Posts: 89
Location: leafy.. err..concrete hertfordshire
ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!

_________________
Its only the hairs on a gooseberry that stops it from being a grape...a penguin is just a posh bourbon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
coldwater wrote:
ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!


they also used TD for the opening ceremony of the LA Olympics I seem to remember.

Back to the radio bit....I'm looking into posting an audio blog of the very early radio appearances of TD (no music, just interviews and adverts). Would this be popular I wonder?

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
24db wrote:
coldwater wrote:
ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!


they also used TD for the opening ceremony of the LA Olympics I seem to remember.

Back to the radio bit....I'm looking into posting an audio blog of the very early radio appearances of TD (no music, just interviews and adverts). Would this be popular I wonder?


It would certainly be popular with me,and im sure many others...... 8)

re: The Olympics....... are we talking about 1984 or the Special Olympics?

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:23 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
coldwater wrote:
ann nightingale played white eagle once (long ago). when i was having a beer at disneyland in florida in the budweiser pub, they played Choronzon, repeatedly on a loop!!


they also used TD for the opening ceremony of the LA Olympics I seem to remember.

Back to the radio bit....I'm looking into posting an audio blog of the very early radio appearances of TD (no music, just interviews and adverts). Would this be popular I wonder?


It would certainly be popular with me,and im sure many others...... 8)

re: The Olympics....... are we talking about 1984 or the Special Olympics?


the main olympics...they played several JIVE label TD tracks

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage