Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:55 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
24db wrote:
it's full of some of the worst mistakes ever...but... he's so enthuastic that defy anybody to resist his rather weird prose and not want to buy some of the records featured (I couldn't :D).
When Edgar was interviewed on BBC Radio Scotland in 1997, he was killing himself over Julian's comments about Zeit...but I bet his bank balance thanks the guy :)




mr copes comments about zeit, are way off the mark......he just doesnt get the lp the way bm does :wink:

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:57 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
it's full of some of the worst mistakes ever...but... he's so enthuastic that defy anybody to resist his rather weird prose and not want to buy some of the records featured (I couldn't :D).
When Edgar was interviewed on BBC Radio Scotland in 1997, he was killing himself over Julian's comments about Zeit...but I bet his bank balance thanks the guy :)




mr copes comments about zeit, are way off the mark......he just doesnt get the lp the way bm does :wink:


His book on standing stones and the Punk scene were great as well...but we've moved off topic

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
the megalithic european etc are just total brilliance




in fact td's music is megalithic : timeless and uncanny

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
bigmoog wrote:
the megalithic european etc are just total brilliance




in fact td's music is megalithic : timeless and uncanny


and from time to time vandals spray graffiti all over it ;)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
the megalithic european etc are just total brilliance




in fact td's music is megalithic : timeless and uncanny


and from time to time vandals spray graffiti all over it ;)



lol


i went to pay respect once at avebury, the stones spoke to me.....eons of history spoke to BM ...... i felt humble, a little scared...but the words the stones sayeth were true : you are transient, make the time you have count, enjoy the music.....er or something

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
the megalithic european etc are just total brilliance




in fact td's music is megalithic : timeless and uncanny


and from time to time vandals spray graffiti all over it ;)



lol


i went to pay respect once at avebury, the stones spoke to me.....eons of history spoke to BM ...... i felt humble, a little scared...but the words the stones sayeth were true : you are transient, make the time you have count, enjoy the music.....er or something


no time to reply fully...I'm hugging a tree :)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
'tangerine dream'


even the bands name is compelling, even before the music kicks in


im listening to rubycon as i type....as ever it is alien and powerful, deeply satisfying and mysterious...perhaps it is a waste of time quantifying 'favourites'.....the choice is so personal and unique...maybe all td music is worthy of accolades or review.....suin or sin stand proud in my mind as classic td music...perhaps posterity shall judge the atomic season as td encapsulated?......it is not for a 'fan' to judge...we are far too close to the music.....too close....too much involved.

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
bigmoog wrote:
digital gothic was written in a strangely pointless way, a bit like reading tadream posts, ie we know best, you know nothing, i know the truth, you are deaf etc....utterly ephemeral cobblers, although any booooooook on TD is better than total silence.


I would rather have no book on TD than Digital Gothic. I almost read one page of it, once!

_________________
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
Desert_Voyager wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
digital gothic was written in a strangely pointless way, a bit like reading tadream posts, ie we know best, you know nothing, i know the truth, you are deaf etc....utterly ephemeral cobblers, although any booooooook on TD is better than total silence.


I would rather have no book on TD than Digital Gothic. I almost read one page of it, once!


I'm re-reading it now. It's ok if you filter out the self-opinionated not good (granted, that's most of it)

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
I have to say that IMHO its a load of baloney :roll: :arrow:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:32 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
Hobo wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
digital gothic was written in a strangely pointless way, a bit like reading tadream posts, ie we know best, you know nothing, i know the truth, you are deaf etc....utterly ephemeral cobblers, although any booooooook on TD is better than total silence.


I would rather have no book on TD than Digital Gothic. I almost read one page of it, once!


I'm re-reading it now. It's ok if you filter out the self-opinionated not good (granted, that's most of it)


I enjoyed Stump's book greatly. I find his criticism very well argued and spoken from the point of view of a life long committed fan. He goes out of his way to try to leave the book on a positive note. A hack would not do such a thing. Considering that his book ends at TD's lowst point (the dreadful and appalling '90s), I think he did a fantastic job.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
rattymouse wrote:
Hobo wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
digital gothic was written in a strangely pointless way, a bit like reading tadream posts, ie we know best, you know nothing, i know the truth, you are deaf etc....utterly ephemeral cobblers, although any booooooook on TD is better than total silence.


I would rather have no book on TD than Digital Gothic. I almost read one page of it, once!


I'm re-reading it now. It's ok if you filter out the self-opinionated not good (granted, that's most of it)


I enjoyed Stump's book greatly. I find his criticism very well argued and spoken from the point of view of a life long committed fan. He goes out of his way to try to leave the book on a positive note. A hack would not do such a thing. Considering that his book ends at TD's lowst point (the dreadful and appalling '90s), I think he did a fantastic job.


You are fully enitled to your veiw,and im certainly not going to argue with it,but i stick by my original statement concerning this :arrow:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:40 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:21 am
Posts: 636
Location: Chicago
epsilon75 wrote:
rattymouse wrote:
Hobo wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
bigmoog wrote:
digital gothic was written in a strangely pointless way, a bit like reading tadream posts, ie we know best, you know nothing, i know the truth, you are deaf etc....utterly ephemeral cobblers, although any booooooook on TD is better than total silence.


I would rather have no book on TD than Digital Gothic. I almost read one page of it, once!


I'm re-reading it now. It's ok if you filter out the self-opinionated not good (granted, that's most of it)


I enjoyed Stump's book greatly. I find his criticism very well argued and spoken from the point of view of a life long committed fan. He goes out of his way to try to leave the book on a positive note. A hack would not do such a thing. Considering that his book ends at TD's lowst point (the dreadful and appalling '90s), I think he did a fantastic job.


You are fully enitled to your veiw,and im certainly not going to argue with it,but i stick by my original statement concerning this :arrow:


I was not attempting to change anyone's views. Yours included.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
I appreciate that Tom,i did not see it as that :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 5:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
I recently spoke to somebody who met him (PS I mean) and he hated writing the last half of book, completely loathed it. Sounds like the publisher had to force him to finish it. For him it was Heaven (1974-1977) and his personal Hell (eveything else). So much for the objective writer. The writer for the book should have been Karl Dallas or (Barry) Miles, they were the only ones (for the most part) who got TD and could string together two words without their ego and bile dripping into every word. IMHO...obviously

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5 [ 75 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage