Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:19 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:45 pm
Posts: 177
Someone, who was unfamiliar with TD's music asked me to play them a "typical track". I dont know what to play them !

Ive ruled out anything with vocals as I dont think that would be typical ! Or perhaps it would be in the last few years with the Dante Trilogy and MFD.

I think ive also ruled out anything with sax but again a lot of recent output contains contributions from LS

I think Film music should alson be ruled out if only because on the whole it less representent of their work - most of the time - I think !

Is a typical TD track something writtern when the composing duties were shared or could it be an Edgar only composition ?

So far I seem to find a good reason to rule out enverything so perhaps nothing is typical . Perhaps a member of this Forum will come up with a track and everything will become clear to me and I will say Thats the typical track Ive beed searching for


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Twiddling with a HiFi system somewhere
I think the answer will depend entirely on one's favourite era of the band. I have my definite answer, but I doubt many others (except the likes of Colin or BM) would agree.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
I don't think that the answer depends on anyones favourite era or album. It depends on recognising the fact that there isn't a typical track. However, in general, there is a dreamlike quality running throughout the music of TD (and I think that the likes of Colin and BM would agree).

_________________
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:34 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
You could argue that certain tracks typify a particular "era" in TD's history, but their music has morphed and evolved over 4 decades and I can't think of any single track that encompasses their vast catalogue of work. The only constant is Edgar and it is therefore a person and not a piece of music, that sums them up best!

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 10:35 pm
Posts: 188
Location: Köln, Germany
I agree that it's almost impossible to play ONE typical TD track as their music changed drastically over the years.
But what you can do is to play a couple of tracks of different TD eras. My recommendations are:

The 70's: "Monolight" (this live track includes very different sections that summarize somehow the band's first decade - and it also includes the indestructable Stratosfear theme)
The Schmoelling era: "Mojave Plan" (another suite that shows all the band's strengths of the early 80's)
The Haslinger era: "Song Of The Whale" (a symphonic piece with one of the most beautiful melodies by TD)
The father / son years: "Flashflood" (this one's perfect as a shorter track)
Recent music: "11:02 AM" (the SuIN finale that shows where the band is today)

There are so many tunes missing I'd also recommend, but to show what TD is all about these 5 tracks might be good starting points. I just fear that there will be as many different opinions on this topic as forum members. :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
Mr Cox

I think you have made excellent choices there :wink:

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:29 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
MrCox wrote:
I just fear that there will be as many different opinions on this topic as forum members. :wink:


Spot on Mr. Cox!

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Twiddling with a HiFi system somewhere
Desert_Voyager wrote:
I don't think that the answer depends on anyones favourite era or album. It depends on recognising the fact that there isn't a typical track. However, in general, there is a dreamlike quality running throughout the music of TD (and I think that the likes of Colin and BM would agree).


I disagree! The ambient, "power trio" sequencer led soundscapes I love so much as TD music are a far cry from the "compilation of solo tracks" kind of album they released in the eighties and again very different from what they did in the nineties (an era you like I believe D_V).

I would capitualte a little, as Edgar has a definite, identifiable way with composing and most TD albums have at least one "Edgar" composition in them, which sort of ties it all together, but there are definite "eras" in TD's music and what I regard as a typical TD piece is bound to be different from your opinion of same.

By the way, I only referred to Colin & BM as the former loves at least two of my favourite TD records and BM is a similar age to me (with a full head of hair - grrrr) and loves Zeit etc..... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:44 am
Posts: 396
Location: köln, cologne
for me comet's figure head is typical td......... heavy+multi-timbral sequencer-lines......... richness of sounds.......... dark/melancholic themes/melodies and harmonies.

_________________
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:40 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:46 pm
Posts: 24409
Location: Apatheticville
krismopompas wrote:
for me comet's figure head is typical td......... heavy+multi-timbral sequencer-lines......... richness of sounds.......... dark/melancholic themes/melodies and harmonies.


I have to say this is one of my favorite TD tracks of the 90s,a real fantastic sound 8)

_________________
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:28 pm
Posts: 288
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'd go along with Mr. Cox's choices as well, particularly the first three. Personally I would include "Betrayal (Sorcerer Theme)" but Hyperborea didn't want film music. But like many posters have already said, the best you can do for "typical" TD is to at least pare it down to typical of "which decade" (out of four!)? For Hyperborea, I would suggest, if this person wants to know what's typical because they know you are a fan, then you should pick something typical of your favorite era. Otherwise, choose something based on the type of music they already like. Do they like New Age music? 70s music? the newest and latest music?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:20 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:28 pm
Posts: 2776
Location: Brixton, London
Great topic!

I read this last night and had to have a large think, but one track has been nagging me all the time. I have no idea why, because I broadly agree with Mr. Cox above, but if I was really forced to pick just one track, it would be 'White Eagle'.

I think if you were (somehow) to melt all the different eras from Pink to now, this is probably what you would come up with.

_________________
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:23 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:14 pm
Posts: 3977
Location: At The Border Of The Marsh
billythefish wrote:
Great topic!

I read this last night and had to have a large think, but one track has been nagging me all the time. I have no idea why, because I broadly agree with Mr. Cox above, but if I was really forced to pick just one track, it would be 'White Eagle'.

I think if you were (somehow) to melt all the different eras from Pink to now, this is probably what you would come up with.


EF will be pissed off, that he could have written just one track. All those wasted years! :wink:

_________________
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:17 am
Posts: 1638
Location: Somerset
DSJR wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:
I don't think that the answer depends on anyones favourite era or album. It depends on recognising the fact that there isn't a typical track. However, in general, there is a dreamlike quality running throughout the music of TD (and I think that the likes of Colin and BM would agree).


I disagree! The ambient, "power trio" sequencer led soundscapes I love so much as TD music are a far cry from the "compilation of solo tracks" kind of album they released in the eighties and again very different from what they did in the nineties (an era you like I believe D_V).

I would capitualte a little, as Edgar has a definite, identifiable way with composing and most TD albums have at least one "Edgar" composition in them, which sort of ties it all together, but there are definite "eras" in TD's music and what I regard as a typical TD piece is bound to be different from your opinion of same.

By the way, I only referred to Colin & BM as the former loves at least two of my favourite TD records and BM is a similar age to me (with a full head of hair - grrrr) and loves Zeit etc..... :)


I am glad that you disagree with me, DSJR. :)

_________________
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:13 pm
Posts: 869
Location: Twiddling with a HiFi system somewhere
And he's me going to suggest Remote Viewing, but that would leave the nineties out wouldn't it?

.....runs for the door to escape the lynch mob......


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage