What is a typical Tangerine Dream Track ?

Desert_Voyager
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Desert_Voyager »

epsilon75 wrote:
krismopompas wrote:for me comet's figure head is typical td......... heavy+multi-timbral sequencer-lines......... richness of sounds.......... dark/melancholic themes/melodies and harmonies.
I have to say this is one of my favorite TD tracks of the 90s,a real fantastic sound 8)
This is also one of my favourties as it is on Rocking Mars. Awesome 90's TD music. 8)
“There are powers at work in this country about which we have no knowledge.”
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

The 'typical' TD tracks are made by nostalgic TD-copycats like Redshift, Navigator, Can Attila and Free System Projekt, leeching on TD's cultural heritage and past . :P
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:The 'typical' TD tracks are made by nostalgic TD-copycats like Redshift, Navigator, Can Attila and Free System Projekt, leeching on TD's cultural heritage and past . :P
:shock: OUCH!
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

epsilon75 wrote:
Pertou wrote:The 'typical' TD tracks are made by nostalgic TD-copycats like Redshift, Navigator, Can Attila and Free System Projekt, leeching on TD's cultural heritage and past . :P
And good for those bands. There's some beautiful music, and great live impros, but TD at least want to move forward. If they didn't I would have lost my constant curiousity abouth the 'next album' long ago!
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

epsilon75 wrote:
They don't leech Jacob, they just want that vibe to continue and why not?

TD were on a "new technology" wave back then. It was all new and they wanted to continue down that evolutionary and revolutionary path with each new generation of new gear.

One or two of us - ok, ME - want to expand the possibilities of the old sounds as well as expand our experience of the new musics of today. I very much doubt the music groups you accuse of leeching actually make any money from their ventures. How many discs do you expect they sell, a few hundred at most, possibly a couple of thousand! Heaven knows what their day jobs are, even Mark Shreeve....

Anway, how many ageing hippies post on here, with "long hair, wacky baccy and sandals?" If they're stuck in the past (forty years ago), that's up to them.........

Sorry for the tone of this post. I'm really p****d off tonight!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Good points Dave, but why do they have to play melodies in TD-style*? Aren't there better ways of using old equipment, than to copy TD?
was old equipment really that restricted in sound to use for a composition?

Then I'm glad TD moved on. To me TD is all about emotions, and being touched on the right buttons in my gamut of emotions, Jeanne d'Arc is 100 times better than Sorcerer, for instance.

*Also I think TD are better at composing solos over the sequences. The notes seem to fit much better.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

I can only speak for the first Redshift CD's. Sure, the influence of Rubycon and Mirage were enormous, but so was the influence of Ed Buller and Node, a "newer" way of using the Moog that I don't personally care for overmuch - you can't please everybody. The freely available sound samples from the later Redshift CD's see a definite move away from the mis seventies influence - mark has always gone for a darker, more intense feel than TD did anyway...

Listening to different periods of "classical" music have shown different, but much copied "styles." Wagner, whom I find a bit "much," apparently influenced Mahler and Bruckner, two composers I can enjoy very much (although I admit I haven't for many a long year).

TD are still a working band, very much so in years gone past. In the seventies/early eighties especially, it would have been suicide to repeat past glories - they couldn't anyway, 'cos much of their redundant gear was sold off I understand...
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

DSJR wrote:TD are still a working band, very much so in years gone past. In the seventies/early eighties especially, it would have been suicide to repeat past glories - they couldn't anyway, 'cos much of their redundant gear was sold off I understand...
I wouldn't walk out on a concert if TD played with old analogue gear, but IMHO it's incredibly important to burn some bridges - once in a while - when you work in the so called 'art' area,

I'm glad though, that some bands pick up upon their 70's 'droppings', and some can find enough creativity in that to expand upon. Yes, it's very provactively speaking. However, I can enjoy Redshift et al. but possibly only get a real musical 10/10 satisfaction out of it if I watch it live.

To me, the best mirroring of TD, I so far have heard is made in the newer style, with the track called Tsunami by Axxess/Maxxess!
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Pertou wrote:
DSJR wrote:
To me, the best mirroring of TD, I so far have heard is made in the newer style, with the track called Tsunami by Axxess/Maxxess!
Have to say Jacob thats one of the best opening tracks ive heard on an album for many a year,saying that the whole album is excellent IMHO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

here's me thinking TD were a "music" band :lol:

Art?......oops....................................................
24db

Post by 24db »

Jacob, if I had written that chances are people would want to lynch me ;)

It all boils down to what floats yer boat, TD or Redshift, it either works for you or it doesn't. What harms these 'analog' bands IMHO is the continous linking their names with TD....Rubycon part 3 etc etc. If they have something new to say then their music must stand on its own. But...you've got to admire people like Shreeve and Buller for having the balls to think that they'd be a living in this niche market, they should earn our respect for being as professional as they can and cateering for fans of this era of EM and 'trying' to do something different. As you know Redshift's music means nothing to me, but I respect the musicians who get off their backsides to do it. In the end the equipment means nothing if the music isn't to our taste, a bad idea is a bad idea and it doesn't make it a good one just because it's done on a Moog or a Virtual Software Synth.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

what td music make td music for me (beside of the beautiful soundscapes)
is the special combination from multitimbral sequences which doesn´t change in their process and arround that there fly different harmonies which always fits to it.
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
DITHMAR

Post by DITHMAR »

I have to agree that this is an interesting subject. Mainly because I never thought of being forced to find the most representing TD-track - is that at all possible?

When I am in a similar situation, it is not about playing a specific track, but how I describe the band. And one of the words I use the most is pioneers. That is what TD are. They were some of the first people to touch the undefined territory of synthesizer music.

I know they made stuff before using synths, but when I walk up to choose a TD-cd, it never happens that I choose a non synth based one. I take one of the cd's that made a huge difference to the way musicians started to think music as such. The albums that later created techno and all of the waves following that.

TD are Ellehammers, Henry Fords of synth-music, and has created a gigantic milestone in music history on that basis alone. That is the talk of a musician - a fellow synth musician of course LOL. But that in itself defines what tracks I choose. Tracks from the late 70's all thru the 80's. Those where the times when TD defined music, and the fan base they created because of that, fills concert halls today. Like when I saw Kraftwerk in Copenhagen last year. It was PACKED, and eventhough they barely moved all thru the concert, they are Kraftwerk which is more than enough. Another example of the pioneers that is part of music history - legends long before their expiration date!

//DD