Tangerine Dream
The Official Forum

   * FAQ    * Search   * Login   * Register

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:02 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:08 pm
Posts: 20418
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
I've got to admit that it's amazing the shop has survived all these years. It just shows that if you're truly passionate about music and know your market, you can survive. They have done more than almost anybody else in keeping the German rock flame going all through all these years. Contary to some people's rose tinted version of history this music never sold in great qualities, bar 3 or 4 big names. It took the Freeman's book (and the totally off the wall, but 101% enthusiastic uber-fan Julian Cope) to kick start the interest in the whole scene.

I used to go in a specialist Heavy Metal record shop in the Midlands that seemed to be doing very well, they were passionate about the music and always seemed to be taking in large amounts of dosh.

...especially from me. :roll:


Chris, it's all your fault! ;)

_________________
http://thezest-2010.blogspot.co.uk/
small print


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:08 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:52 pm
Posts: 7797
Location: Bristol, Uk
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
I've got to admit that it's amazing the shop has survived all these years. It just shows that if you're truly passionate about music and know your market, you can survive. They have done more than almost anybody else in keeping the German rock flame going all through all these years. Contary to some people's rose tinted version of history this music never sold in great qualities, bar 3 or 4 big names. It took the Freeman's book (and the totally off the wall, but 101% enthusiastic uber-fan Julian Cope) to kick start the interest in the whole scene.

I used to go in a specialist Heavy Metal record shop in the Midlands that seemed to be doing very well, they were passionate about the music and always seemed to be taking in large amounts of dosh.

...especially from me. :roll:


Chris, it's all your fault! ;)

Thought it might be. :wink:

Actually they still seem to be doing well and I haven't been in for over 5 years.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
So glad that Juian Cope has something to do with this love of German rock. When Wilder the Teardrops Explodes record came out I virtually lived for that record. I must have played that record a million times. I felt that I was on the same wavelengh as Julian Cope, if ever I could make a record I would want it to be like Wilder. Now that I have myself discovered the wonders of krautrock it is nice to know that I again find myself appreciating the good taste and style of Julian Cope.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
BM is a great fan of Mr Cope [note: mostly for his marvellous books on standing stones and and ancient man's megalithic masterpieces.....his krautrock sampler book is funny, crazy and inspiring]

check this site out for all things krautrock etc :)

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
bigmoog wrote:
BM is a great fan of Mr Cope [note: mostly for his marvellous books on standing stones and and ancient man's megalithic masterpieces.....his krautrock sampler book is funny, crazy and inspiring]

check this site out for all things krautrock etc :)


I will definitely have to read it. :wink:

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
this is quite an interesting list...


note ZEIT is number 2


http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/47879

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
bigmoog wrote:

wow cool ... 8)
ZEIT never leaves my mp3 player. Listening to it while on a bus- or train ride is an interesting experience: it colours reality different immediately ... :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:18 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 3244
whisper it........

I aint heard zeit yet :shock:

Downloaded atem from i tunes a while back and love it.

Thinking about buying that Nebulous Dawn compilation CD from amazon. I think its atem, zeit and alpha centauri in a oner. Anyone know if its a quality recording?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 02, 2007 11:56 am
Posts: 966
Location: Germany
har wrote:
Thinking about buying that Nebulous Dawn compilation CD from amazon. I think its atem, zeit and alpha centauri in a oner. Anyone know if its a quality recording?

And you get some rarities as well (Ultima Thule Pt. 1 + 2 and Lady Greengrass/Love of Mine). The sound quality is decent. There are some differences in how Nebulous Dawn sounds compared to the Jive Electro releases, but it's hard to say which release sounds better. It's early 70s recordings, they're all a bit noisy... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
bigmoog wrote:
this is quite an interesting list...


note ZEIT is number 2


http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/da/47879


Great list.I love these sort of things, specially when they include album art.

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 14861
Location: 1975
There is a period in music, 1967-1977 more or less, that produced some of the most amazing music, the most astonishing cover art and the most important and influential musicians ever. This, for me covers psychedelic, krautrock, electronic music, punk rock and progressive - the 'underground' if you like. Of course all periods in history have their pinnacles, but to trawl through the 67-77 epoch is one hell of an adventure. :wink:

_________________
...The wise.....are silent.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 3244
Michael66 wrote:
har wrote:
Thinking about buying that Nebulous Dawn compilation CD from amazon. I think its atem, zeit and alpha centauri in a oner. Anyone know if its a quality recording?

And you get some rarities as well (Ultima Thule Pt. 1 + 2 and Lady Greengrass/Love of Mine). The sound quality is decent. There are some differences in how Nebulous Dawn sounds compared to the Jive Electro releases, but it's hard to say which release sounds better. It's early 70s recordings, they're all a bit noisy... :wink:


Thanks michael, I think I'll just order it, If i can resist the urge to download them off i tunes :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:45 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 12:54 am
Posts: 7393
Location: Scotland
bigmoog wrote:
There is a period in music, 1967-1977 more or less, that produced some of the most amazing music, the most astonishing cover art and the most important and influential musicians ever. This, for me covers psychedelic, krautrock, electronic music, punk rock and progressive - the 'underground' if you like. Of course all periods in history have their pinnacles, but to trawl through the 67-77 epoch is one hell of an adventure. :wink:


Very true BM very true. 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:59 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:46 am
Posts: 2603
Location: Maroubra Bay
bigmoog wrote:
There is a period in music, 1967-1977 more or less, that produced some of the most amazing music, the most astonishing cover art and the most important and influential musicians ever. This, for me covers psychedelic, krautrock, electronic music, punk rock and progressive - the 'underground' if you like. Of course all periods in history have their pinnacles, but to trawl through the 67-77 epoch is one hell of an adventure. :wink:


I would have to agree 100% with that :)

_________________
"Sydney till I Die"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:09 am
Posts: 3244
bigmoog wrote:
There is a period in music, 1967-1977 more or less, that produced some of the most amazing music, the most astonishing cover art and the most important and influential musicians ever. This, for me covers psychedelic, krautrock, electronic music, punk rock and progressive - the 'underground' if you like. Of course all periods in history have their pinnacles, but to trawl through the 67-77 epoch is one hell of an adventure. :wink:


totally agree BM, good shout!

would have to extend it to 1978 for tormato and then there were three :)

and

to 1979 for Force Majeure :) :shock:


:D


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic     Reply to topic    Tangerine Dream Forum Index -> TD on recorded Music All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4 [ 46 posts ] 

 
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group | Design by Homestage