Classic reviews: Stratosfear

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Classic reviews: Stratosfear

Post by 24db »

TANGERINE DREAM
Stratosfear (Virgin V2068)

Side 1: Stratosfear, The Big Sleep in Search of Hades.
Side 2: 3 a.m. at the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee, Invisible Limits.

Chris Franke: Moog Synthesizer, Organ, Percussion, Loop Mellotron, Harpsichord.
Edgar Froese: Mellotron, Moog Synthesizer, 12 and 6 string guitar, Mouth Organ.
Peter Baumann: Moog Synthesizer, Project Electronic rhythm computer, Electric Piano, Mellotron.

‘More of the same’ many critics have said. This is patently not so. Tangerine Dream have in many ways reverted to ideas inherent in some of their earlier albums (available originally as imports on the OHR label but now also available on Virgin’s Caroline subsidiary) whereby they fused together their electronic hardware with more conventional instruments. They are less concerned with exploiting the purely textural aspects if their sound than they were on PHAEDRA and RUBYCON, and are concentrating more on the use of melodies and memorable themes. On STRATOS-FEAR this is immediately apparent on the title track which revolves around a number of themes which pass from instrument to instrument and through a number of variations. And when the guitar finally makes its contribution the whole tracks ‘lifts’ and the heat is really turned on. Such a thing was not possible within the confines they had previously set themselves Tangerine Dream seem to have discovered the source of their malaise and have come back fresh and fighting: they obliterated the tiredness that seemed to be creeping into their live performances and have produced a fresh, challenging album that fulfils much of the promise that RICOCHET (their ‘live’ album) only began to hint at.

Much of the rest of this album confirms this new power. ‘The Big Sleep in Search of Hades’ opens with a harpsichord picking out a pattern over which a synthesizer (sounding to all intents and purposes like a flute) plays a startlingly beautiful theme. Ominous chord progressions on the Mellotrons break the mood and set out on a tangential path before a restatement of the opening theme and mood brings the track to close. ‘Invisible Limits’ roars on in a relentlessly percussive manner, at once daunting and fascinating, before dissolving into a vortex of floating sound and an acoustic piano conclusion.

It is only ‘3 a.m. At the Border of the Marsh from Okefenokee’, which shows Tangerine Dream really exploring the kind of music which most people in this country associate with the band. But not completely; and it works more effectively for that reason.

I’m forced to admit that my interest in Tangerine Dream had begun to wane a little, but this album had rekindled that interest, even though reports of recent live shows which suggest they may be adopting some kind of power trio format leave one confused to say the least. I await with interest their next album. In the meantime STRATOSFEAR has already, frequently graced my turntable and will, no doubt, continue to do so; it is an extremely beautiful and haunting album.

Impetus
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

Great review!
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

stratosfear is quite possibly my new all time TD fav music :idea:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

I'm listening to the extremely cool and very futuristic Mason-remix of Invisible Limits, which in, imo, have given the album a completely new perspective. I know it won't be possible, but it could be totally awesome to release the entire Stratosfear in the Mason remix.
(I love drums!)
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

bigmoog wrote:stratosfear is quite possibly my new all time TD fav music :idea:
That was also Ben's (Sequence C) favourite albums. Where's he hiding, btw? Has he lost in interest in TD? :shock: :o
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

Pertou wrote:
That was also Ben's (Sequence C) favourite albums. Where's he hiding, btw? Has he lost in interest in TD? :shock: :o

bens fine, hes over at another EM based forum
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Power Trio??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Good to see that speculation isn't just a new thing!
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

Pertou wrote:
Ben's well, and came to our Dec 9th fan meetup and plans to come to future events too.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Pertou

Post by Pertou »

billythefish wrote:Power Trio??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I like the idea of calling TD in the seventies a power trio, but then again, I also call TD a rock'n'roll band :roll:
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Pertou wrote:
billythefish wrote:Power Trio??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I like the idea of calling TD in the seventies a power trio, but then again, I also call TD a rock'n'roll band :roll:
It sounds like a Noel Edmonds phrase to me!
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

A great review, for the greatest album. :D
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

The thing that always impressed me about "3 AM..." is the section between 1:50 and 2:44 where the huge chords begin to swell and grow louder and louder, which is probably the best musical interpretation of a sunrise as one could hope to create. Then immediately after, everything in the swamp starts waking up and things begin slowly moving around until finally settling back down into the bog at the end. Brilliant piece of programmatic music.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:arrow: stratosfear has always bubbled under my all time TD fav chart.....but these days its rising to the very top.....there is of course one LP it needs to kick out the way at NO 1...... :wink:

the music on stratosfear is tangerinedream...if you know what I mean
Rico

Post by Rico »

the review is very nice, kudos to some mentioned ideas.

I myself have over-played Stratosfear during this year. :lol:
DSJR

Post by DSJR »

I'm gonna be the odd one out for now --- I was shocked when I first heard it on release, as it had proper "melodies" on it..... I gave it a good going over again recently and still can't fully warm to it as many of you have.

I always loved Invisible Limits though.......