Classic reviews: Stratosfear

bigmoog
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by bigmoog »

these things about stratosfear are:

the cover (yes I know...not a monique creation...but that lovely inner gatefold is!!) is superb

the music is distant, eerie (I use this a lot in describing TD music), melodic - well its sort of melodious in a tangerine sort of way..ie, sweet but with a sharp to the point edge and the LP is evocative, autumnal and magically strange.

invisible limits?.....I must have listened to this track thousands of times and it, like nearly all td, is different very time.

stratosfear, ah, pure, perfect sound....forever :arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
rotwang

Post by rotwang »

One of my all-time favorite TD albums. That cover was absolutely gorgeous. And the title track was somehow different from what TD had done before (to my ears initially) and yet familiar. Invisible Limits with its wonderful crescendo and chime about a third of the way into the track still gives me goosebumps. And I must say, I rather like Nick Mason's engineering of that track on the TD Radio on this web site. Brilliant!
I am not a slow writer, I am not a fast writer, I am a half-fast writer.
-- Robert Asprin
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

bigmoog wrote:stratosfear is quite possibly my new all time TD fav music :idea:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
What no Zeit :o What no Rubycon :oops:

I'll just get me coat :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Fantastic album and IMHO a big leap forward from the mighty Rubycon...

Invisible Limits is just an awsome track,Stratosfear was the second TD album i heard in 1979 at the age of 15 and Invisible Limits just blew me away and made me an even bigger fan than i was after listening to Rubycon..................By the way,the Stratosfear 95 version at the Tempodrom was IMHO the best they have played live........it rocked and i loved it :D
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Great album but not my favourite, not sure if it even made my top ten. :oops:
Invisible Limits is the stand-out track for me and I really like 3 AM. Only problem with it that I can see was that, and I know I shouldn't say this, it was too short.
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I've never much cared for this one. It's OK but a sharp change from Phaedra , Rubycon & Ricochet. I wouldn't say it's a not good album but to my ears it is too sparse and also too short ..side one of the LP is just 14 minutes long. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a lot of peoples fave TD album it wouldn't be in my top 20.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:

No arguments from me! :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

rotwang wrote:One of my all-time favorite TD albums. That cover was absolutely gorgeous. And the title track was somehow different from what TD had done before (to my ears initially) and yet familiar. Invisible Limits with its wonderful crescendo and chime about a third of the way into the track still gives me goosebumps. And I must say, I rather like Nick Mason's engineering of that track on the TD Radio on this web site. Brilliant!
I'm with you on this, pure class and Mason's reworking is subtle, but excellent!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

epsilon75 wrote:

It's finally happened Bigmoog has decended into total madness. :lol:
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

sparrow wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

It's finally happened Bigmoog has decended into total madness. :lol:
No, he's finally seen the light! :wink:
redziller

Post by redziller »

sparrow wrote:I've never much cared for this one. It's OK but a sharp change from Phaedra , Rubycon & Ricochet. I wouldn't say it's a not good album but to my ears it is too sparse and also too short ..side one of the LP is just 14 minutes long. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a lot of peoples fave TD album it wouldn't be in my top 20.
Blimey! :shock: goes to show we all have different ears!

I think this is a milestone - it's the first steps into pieces that have more - I wouldn't say structure as the structure in earlier pieces is obvious - but precomposed structure. I'd say there's less of the composition done after the recording. Sparse it is and too short but it's like the chill of the pink years with more going on. eg 3am in the mud - if you listen to the layers there's not much there but what's present is exactly right - did I say "right"? IMHO!
imho

TD

/ did \
- does - ROCK!
\ will /

https://shiningpyramid.bandcamp.com/releases

http://www.redziller.co.uk/ffp/ TD video game
24db

Post by 24db »

Two words sum up Stratosfear...Projekt and Elektronik ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:D :!:

projekTEleckTroniK?...oh yes, made the LP and live shows very...er...concise, potent, awesome and an embryonic assualt using REPETITIVE BEATS......testament to TD being way beyond their time.

to all: yes Im mad.....but think this friends, when I listen to any TD....it becomes my favourite...then I listen to another TD and then thats me favo....

so today 12.1.2007, TD AT 40.....Im making all TD equally my best*

Big-i like zeitstratosfearrubyconphaedrametaphoropticalraceyougetthepicture-M00G

8)

*where zEiT is better
...The wise.....are silent.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

sparrow wrote:I've never much cared for this one. It's OK but a sharp change from Phaedra , Rubycon & Ricochet. I wouldn't say it's a not good album but to my ears it is too sparse and also too short ..side one of the LP is just 14 minutes long. I can't for the life of me understand why this is a lot of peoples fave TD album it wouldn't be in my top 20.
Whilst I expect us all to have different tastes, I never thought I'd hear someone on the forum say they didn't care much for Stratosfear. IMO, it forms an important stepping stone towards the more composed structure of the albums that followed and I'd always assumed that there was something for everybody here. Still, each to their own. You like what you like and it's always interesting to hear somebody else's take.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Have to say Mick i have been surprised by some of the reactions toward the outstanding Stratosfear.................but i suppose if we all liked the same thing it would be a boring world................I used to convince myself it was impossible for anyone to dislike Rubycon :shock: obviously that is not the case :lol: :lol: :lol: