Alternative history...things that never quite happened

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Alternative history...things that never quite happened

Post by 24db »

I've just been reading about a planned TD tour of England and Scotland in 1973. Apparently the group were very enthusiastic about it, until the promoter told them they'd get £700 for the entire tour (about 10 concerts), at the time they'd get that for a couple of concerts in Germany. Needless to say the tour was pulled.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Promoter must have been related to Don King :roll:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:Promoter must have been related to Don King :roll:
What a prat!...and what a waste, we could have had another tour in the UK :(
Twenty three quid each (per night) and they'd probably have to pay all their own shipping costs and flights. £700? they'd make that in a few minutes at the Rugby scrum that's called the Merchandise stall at the SBE :)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Twenty three quid each (per night) and they'd probably have to pay all their own shipping costs and flights. £700? they'd make that in a few minutes at the Rugby scrum that's called the Merchandise stall at the SBE :)
I hate that stall, it's little more than a pasting table! I do not like the pushing and shoving, so I always wait for the inevitable, enforced comfort break and purchase merchandise then. So much more civilised! :wink:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
I hate that stall, it's little more than a pasting table! I do not like the pushing and shoving, so I always wait for the inevitable, enforced comfort break and purchase merchandise then. So much more civilised! :wink:
My missus did the honors for me. Bless her. You know, she really is quite good. :wink:
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:

Would be interesting to see that pasting table go toppling if a Punch-Up ensued :shock: i for one would be grabbing the FREE TD lolly and F*** the punch up :shock: :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote: What a prat!...and what a waste, we could have had another tour in the UK :(

Would be interesting to see that pasting table go toppling if a Punch-Up ensued :shock: i for one would be grabbing the FREE TD lolly and F*** the punch up :shock: :wink:
talking of which, I wonder if we've ever thought about the correct approach at the Merch stand....what's best, going in at the sides, or straight on the stand? I'm sure there's been some scientific studies on crowds trying to get through doors, so we need to get some info on this before the gigs ;)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

there was a study on merchandise stall protocols - to get your required CDs etc, made at MIT in the eighties, it cost 2million dollars and the power of supercomputing, the result?

dont wash

:arrow:
...The wise.....are silent.....
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Hobo wrote: I hate that stall, it's little more than a pasting table! I do not like the pushing and shoving, so I always wait for the inevitable, enforced comfort break and purchase merchandise then. So much more civilised! :wink:

talking of which, I wonder if we've ever thought about the correct approach at the Merch stand....what's best, going in at the sides, or straight on the stand? I'm sure there's been some scientific studies on crowds trying to get through doors, so we need to get some info on this before the gigs ;)
Problem is the lobby is tiny and you can only approach the merchandise stall from two sides. Also, most fans do not make a purchase and move on. In my experience, they pour over the goodies for ages, reading every word on every cd. Now if the SBE moved the merchandise to the larger bar area, there would be an alternative to distract fan attention! :idea:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
Problem is the lobby is tiny and you can only approach the merchandise stall from two sides. Also, most fans do not make a purchase and move on. In my experience, they pour over the goodies for ages, reading every word on every cd. Now if the SBE moved the merchandise to the larger bar area, there would be an alternative to distract fan attention! :idea:
the Hammersmith Odeon (that dates me :D) used to have two merch stands...and they still had the same problem (as did, from memory the RFH in 2004)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
24db wrote: talking of which, I wonder if we've ever thought about the correct approach at the Merch stand....what's best, going in at the sides, or straight on the stand? I'm sure there's been some scientific studies on crowds trying to get through doors, so we need to get some info on this before the gigs ;)
the Hammersmith Odeon (that dates me :D) used to have two merch stands...and they still had the same problem (as did, from memory the RFH in 2004)
How about mobile merch. sellers working the queue, instead of those bloody touts! That would relieve a bit of boredom and also leave you a few extra minutes for the pub!
24db

Post by 24db »

Yeah, everybody could do without touts, several times I've held onto spare tickets, rather than sell them to leaches like them.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:Yeah, everybody could do without touts, several times I've held onto spare tickets, rather than sell them to leaches like them.
Me too. I'd rather be out of pocket, than see them fleece genuine fans. If ever I have spares though, I try to sell them to fans (at face value), right under the touts noses. The threats they issue, always amuse me and it loses them even more custom.
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:Yeah, everybody could do without touts, several times I've held onto spare tickets, rather than sell them to leaches like them.
Me too. I'd rather be out of pocket, than see them fleece genuine fans. If ever I have spares though, I try to sell them to fans (at face value), right under the touts noses. The threats they issue, always amuse me and it loses them even more custom.
Damned right, I've had spare tickets in 86, 90 and 2005...mind you it's useful when I get the 'worlds largest bloke' turn up at the last minute and stand or sit in front of me, at least it gives me an option ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Hobo wrote:

Ive done that with Rugby tickets here in Cardiff............the touts go spare and can get quite aggressive......after all they are only bully boys with people they can carry it out with...... :x :x :evil: