Edgar Froese on Michael Mann

tangram80
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Edgar Froese on Michael Mann

Post by tangram80 »

The "TD radio" track starts off by mentioning the cooperation between TD and Michael Mann since Mann heard the "Thru Metamorphic Rock" track off "Force Majeure". I happened to grab a 2nd hand book "Ocean of Sounds" by David Toop and found the following reflection of Edgar:

He got involved in our music by listening to a studio record called Force Majeure, which we recorded back in '78. He was listening to a piece called "Metamorphic Rocks" and so he put it into one of those sequences in Thief when they open up the roof on one of those skyscrapers. The sound mixed so well - that's what he said - that he called us and said, "Are you interested in doing the rest?". The thing is about Michael Mann, he's an American guy but he worked for about four years in London so he was very sympathetic with the European way of making films and using cameras. That's why he chose a lot of, what I would call French, British or early German shooting sequences in his movies. Like a man like Ridley Scott, who is known as a great American film maker, but in fact is very much British. He has given a big positive push to the American cinema by using certain European visions."

UNQUOTE

THere you have an early Froesian vision of film directors with whom he cooperated... :D
"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche
24db

Post by 24db »

Didn't TD say that Michael Mann wanted to mix their music, so TD said 'off you go'! and several days later Michael hand to admit he couldn't do it and asked the band to finish it?

On a personal not I've never liked Mann's stuff, it's all surface with little emotional content
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:Didn't TD say that Michael Mann wanted to mix their music, so TD said 'off you go'! and several days later Michael hand to admit he couldn't do it and asked the band to finish it?

On a personal not I've never liked Mann's stuff, it's all surface with little emotional content

I thought Thief was a superb movie with an excellent sound track t,boot.
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:Didn't TD say that Michael Mann wanted to mix their music, so TD said 'off you go'! and several days later Michael hand to admit he couldn't do it and asked the band to finish it?

Manhunter, Heat and The Insider were good too. For all it's flaws, I'm still a big fan of The Keep, as well.
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
staatsgrenze

Post by staatsgrenze »

Thief, was and is a really great film, and TD's soundtrack is a real winner here, James Caan puts a stunning performance together with Tuesday Weld, that would fit nicely with "Godfather"........

The soundtrack alone merits one of the band's memorable productions

8) 8)
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

Manhunter, Heat and The Insider were good too. For all it's flaws, I'm still a big fan of The Keep, as well.
Michael Mann interview: re TD

HK: You're using the music of Tangerine Dream for the film. Why?

MM: Because we have a terrific relationship. I think their work
"Thief" was very successful. This music is very different. This is much
more melodic, there are different influences. We're using Thomas Tallis,
we're using a lot of choirs processed through a vocoder. I've got in my
brain maybe seven or eight hours of their music.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

Im all for seven or eight hours of the Keep unreleased goodies being released in the future :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
Hobo wrote: Manhunter, Heat and The Insider were good too. For all it's flaws, I'm still a big fan of The Keep, as well.

Im all for seven or eight hours of the Keep unreleased goodies being released in the future :wink:
Wonder what odds you'd get on that :?:
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:Im all for seven or eight hours of the Keep unreleased goodies being released in the future :wink:
Wonder what odds you'd get on that :?:
How about we start from one and then work it up? 7-8 sound a bit … excessiv. Wouldn't want it to be away from, say, The Soldier, no?
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

I'd go along with that. Michael Mann is a bit hit and miss with me. When he's good he's great but some of his films really miss the target IMO.
batman

Post by batman »

If talking for Micheal Mann, i believe the TD music can be to use in 'Collateral' movie.
-IN THE SPACE AND STILL FARTHER-
(BUZZ LIGHTYEAR)
www.myspace.com/via2754