TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

Echosnare
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Echosnare »

JD wrote:Unless you were really there and a witness to the every day process of making TDs albums, then its all speculation. If Franke had never always sat near his trademark Moog Modular then some people might not label him the "sequencer king". Its interesting to note the same people are always still waiting for Chris to prove this on his solo albums and scores too, and he never really does.
Couldn't have put it better.

As for TD, does matter who was where, & when?

What was produced,by what ever combination of musicians worked with EF at any given time, is what matters. The fact is EF IS TD. it's not "The Edgar Froese Band", or Froese, Franke & Baumann, or Schmoelling, Froese,Jollife or what ever name would get tagged on after Edgars. He is, obviously, the one constant that has given us a reason,over the last 40 years, for being here now.

The reason is TANGERINE DREAM.
24db

Post by 24db »

Echosnare wrote:
JD wrote:Unless you were really there and a witness to the every day process of making TDs albums, then its all speculation. If Franke had never always sat near his trademark Moog Modular then some people might not label him the "sequencer king". Its interesting to note the same people are always still waiting for Chris to prove this on his solo albums and scores too, and he never really does.

What was produced,by what ever combination of musicians worked with EF at any given time, is what matters. The fact is EF IS TD. it's not "The Edgar Froese Band", or Froese, Franke & Baumann, or Schmoelling, Froese,Jollife or what ever name would get tagged on after Edgars. He is, obviously, the one constant that has given us a reason,over the last 40 years, for being here now.

The head of the nail has just been hit! Nice post mate
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Echosnare wrote:

Could not have put that better myself............Brilliant :wink:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Echosnare wrote:The fact is EF IS TD.
I would have to take exception to that statement, as a statement of fact. In another place I frequent, it is often debated whether Robert Fripp IS King Crimson. Most fans feel that he is not, by himself. However, many maintain, as do I, that there is no King Crimson without Fripp, even though Fripp alone does not constitute King Crimson. Many also agree that King Crimson is RF's vision and only RF knows what material qualifies as Crimson.

I'd say the same is true for Tangerine Dream, in that there is no TD without EF, but EF alone is not TD. You can argue that TD is EF's vision and only he knows what is truly TD, but it still must be a synergy of minds and talents to create the whole. Years ago, a journalist interviewing EF dared to suggest that "You could just release EF solo albums and call them Tangerine Dream." EF's response was "Absolutely not!"
24db

Post by 24db »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:
Echosnare wrote:The fact is EF IS TD.
I would have to take exception to that statement, as a statement of fact. In another place I frequent, it is often debated whether Robert Fripp IS King Crimson. Most fans feel that he is not, by himself. However, many maintain, as do I, that there is no King Crimson without Fripp, even though Fripp alone does not constitute King Crimson. Many also agree that King Crimson is RF's vision and only RF knows what material qualifies as Crimson.

I'd say the same is true for Tangerine Dream, in that there is no TD without EF, but EF alone is not TD. You can argue that TD is EF's vision and only he knows what is truly TD, but it still must be a synergy of minds and talents to create the whole. Years ago, a journalist interviewing EF dared to suggest that "You could just release EF solo albums and call them Tangerine Dream." EF's response was "Absolutely not!"
therefore he is TD ;)
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

IMHO TD would never be the same without Edgar Froese,and thats not undermining the talents of any musicians involved within the band at anyone time...........of course the other member's are extremely talented,dont think EF would have them there if that was not the case.......

TD without Edgar Froese is like The Stones without Jagger......unthinkable,but thats all IMHO of course :wink:
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

As I said in my previous post, TD is EF & who he has around him at the time.

There has never been a TD without EF, & dare I say it, with the current(& possibly permanent?) absence of JF, there may well be no TD after EF.
(I don't envisage the name/mantle being handed over to Thortsten following EF's retirement/departure from this mortal coil).

There have never been, to my knowledge, any other performers, other than Klaus Krieger, on an EF solo album. That is why, I guess, they are EF solo albums, & not TD albums. Even "Phaedra 2005", with only the flute on Sequent C by TQ, is the only "TD" album performed almost entirely, as far as I know, by EF.

Therfore, as Andy says, EF IS TD.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

remember, that Christophe Franke, one of the three sequencer kings, supplied moog sounds on the Edgar Froese solo LP Aqua, the track in question : NGC 891.

bigmoog
...The wise.....are silent.....
UHF

Post by UHF »

>EF IS TD

Which is why I had to give up buying TD albums in 1988.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

:?:

please explain : BM is confused
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

UHF wrote:>EF IS TD

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

hmmmm, methinks UHF means CF is TD :? :?

in which case : bong, its cobblers, cos TD is TD is TD is edgar...and the sum of the parts....as previously posted by those above earlier in the thread
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

Have you heard any of the solo albums by Edgar Froese or Peter Baumann ? Remember that there are other musicans since 1988 in TD.
Echosnare

Post by Echosnare »

Desert_Voyager wrote:

Have you heard any of the solo albums by Edgar Froese or Peter Baumann ? Remember that there are other musicans since 1988 in TD.
Exactly, D_V.
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

I think it's hard to explain where the magic of TD comes from, but Edgar Froese's musical philosophy and skills as musician and composer are the most important thing in my opinion, although there have always been others in the band who contributed their ideas to the TD sound. Edgar Froese's solo works are fantastic and sometimes very similar to TD's albums of the same periods, but it was the input of Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling, Haslinger, Jerome Froese or (in the last few years) Thorsten Quaeschning that created something special and lifted the band's music to a whole new level. (There were other important members in the band throughout the years, but you know what I mean. :wink: )

Edgar Froese is not TD, but TD is Edgar's creation and a result of his musical vision. And he always understood how to gather talented musicians around him who were able to add ideas of their own to TD's sound. :D For example Thorsten's contributions to "Jeanne d'Arc" are not too far away from Edgar's way of composing and playing music, but they add something special, Edgar alone wouldn't have been able to create. If one likes the results or not is indeed a matter of subjective opinion, isn't it? I also don't like every TD release, but there's so much music created by TD that I can live with this fact. :wink:

The comparison with King Crimson is a nice idea by the way. KC is not Robert Fripp alone, but the band is a result of Fripp's musical vision that surely will not be continued after Fripp's retirement.