TD HISTORY (REINVENTED)

Desert_Voyager
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by Desert_Voyager »

MrCox wrote:I think it's hard to explain where the magic of TD comes from, but Edgar Froese's musical philosophy and skills as musician and composer are the most important thing in my opinion, although there have always been others in the band who contributed their ideas to the TD sound. Edgar Froese's solo works are fantastic and sometimes very similar to TD's albums of the same periods, but it was the input of Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling, Haslinger, Jerome Froese or (in the last few years) Thorsten Quaeschning that created something special and lifted the band's music to a whole new level. (There were other important members in the band throughout the years, but you know what I mean. :wink: )

Edgar Froese is not TD, but TD is Edgar's creation and a result of his musical vision. And he always understood how to gather talented musicians around him who were able to add ideas of their own to TD's sound. :D For example Thorsten's contributions to "Jeanne d'Arc" are not too far away from Edgar's way of composing and playing music, but they add something special, Edgar alone wouldn't have been able to create. If one likes the results or not is indeed a matter of subjective opinion, isn't it? I also don't like every TD release, but there's so much music created by TD that I can live with this fact. :wink:

The comparison with King Crimson is a nice idea by the way. KC is not Robert Fripp alone, but the band is a result of Fripp's musical vision that surely will not be continued after Fripp's retirement.
You are correct, I couldn't have put it better, myself :)
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

Desert_Voyager wrote:
MrCox wrote:I think it's hard to explain where the magic of TD comes from, but Edgar Froese's musical philosophy and skills as musician and composer are the most important thing in my opinion, although there have always been others in the band who contributed their ideas to the TD sound. Edgar Froese's solo works are fantastic and sometimes very similar to TD's albums of the same periods, but it was the input of Franke, Baumann, Schmoelling, Haslinger, Jerome Froese or (in the last few years) Thorsten Quaeschning that created something special and lifted the band's music to a whole new level. (There were other important members in the band throughout the years, but you know what I mean. :wink: )

Edgar Froese is not TD, but TD is Edgar's creation and a result of his musical vision. And he always understood how to gather talented musicians around him who were able to add ideas of their own to TD's sound. :D For example Thorsten's contributions to "Jeanne d'Arc" are not too far away from Edgar's way of composing and playing music, but they add something special, Edgar alone wouldn't have been able to create. If one likes the results or not is indeed a matter of subjective opinion, isn't it? I also don't like every TD release, but there's so much music created by TD that I can live with this fact. :wink:

The comparison with King Crimson is a nice idea by the way. KC is not Robert Fripp alone, but the band is a result of Fripp's musical vision that surely will not be continued after Fripp's retirement.
Yep, Edgar is the heart of TD and other members, past and present other organs. You can function minus a kidney, although you will feel the loss, but remove the heart and.....(a c r a p analogy, but you get the gist).
"In the absurd often lies what is artistically possible." - Edgar Froese
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Hobo wrote:
Desert_Voyager wrote:

Yep, Edgar is the heart of TD and other members, past and present other organs. You can function minus a kidney, although you will feel the loss, but remove the heart and.....(a c r a p analogy, but you get the gist).
So who was the prostate then Hobo? :wink:
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

I think Tangerine Dream has been a showcase for some extrodinary, imaginative, original and innovative musicians over the years Edgar Froese included, and I think in a lot of ways these musicians have been influenced by Edgar and he has been influenced by them!

The question we have been discussing is 'Is Edgar Froese Tangerine Dream?'. I've read some where that he is the 'living embodiment of Tangerine Dream to alot of people', he's the surviving member, he still turns out to the gigs. But he is more than that, he is Tangerine Dreams figure head (like Queen Lizzy is to Canada :lol: ). I don't think he is solely responsible for Tangerine Dreams great sound, that is a mixture of he and the other talented boys and girls that have been thru TD's ranks over the past 40 years. I don't think any of them, edgar included, should be be-littled or put down by anyone in regard to their contribution to Tangerine Dream, together they have created probably the most Sonically-diverse and original act on the planet.

I think Johannes Scmhoelling said in an interview that Tangerine Dream is a project not a band. It is a project that has been nurtured and maintained for the past 40 years by one Mr Edgar W. Froese, simple as that. It's like science, over the years he has had other scientists come in and they together have made some fantastic musical concoctions together and then these people have moved on and new scientists come in, and he has remained.

Now then, time to get of me soap box and stop bashing your ears. Although I think Edgar Froese is an extrodinary composer and Musician (and I love his solo albums to bits) he is just part of the great monster of TD that he first concieved 40 years ago. But I think it's not unfair to say that he's the heart!!!!!!!! 8)

Nuff said, I'm off to watch that daft thing with Nicholas Lindhurst in!!!
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
24db

Post by 24db »

TD (the project) was meant to end in 1990, however certain things prevented Edgar from doing this, one of which was Paul Haslinger leaving
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:TD (the project) was meant to end in 1990, however certain things prevented Edgar from doing this, one of which was Paul Haslinger leaving
I never believed this EF wouldn't be able to keep his hands off a keyboard
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
24db

Post by 24db »

alipaul wrote:
24db wrote:TD (the project) was meant to end in 1990, however certain things prevented Edgar from doing this, one of which was Paul Haslinger leaving
I never believed this EF wouldn't be able to keep his hands off a keyboard
It wouldn't have stopped Edgar doing solo stuff :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Why would Edgar won't to stop TD? It's not as if there isn't a need for good, sometimes experimental, music any more.
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Why would Edgar won't to stop TD? It's not as if there isn't a need for good, sometimes experimental, music any more.
well it's in black and white mate, an Australian article from 1982
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:Why would Edgar won't to stop TD? It's not as if there isn't a need for good, sometimes experimental, music any more.
Must be true then. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Must be true then. :wink:
I'll post the article on tuesday :P
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
He probably thought back in 1982 "I can't imagine I'll still be doing this in 8 years time". :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
He probably thought back in 1982 "I can't imagine I'll still be doing this in 8 years time". :wink:
Last edited by 24db on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobo

Post by Hobo »

24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote: well it's in black and white mate, an Australian article from 1982
email him ;) until then here's the article (I just found it):

Interesting he felt that people over 35 were not his audience. I suspect they make up the bulk now! :wink:
Last edited by Hobo on Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
24db

Post by 24db »

Hobo wrote:
24db wrote:
Chris Monk wrote: He probably thought back in 1982 "I can't imagine I'll still be doing this in 8 years time". :wink:
email him ;) until then here's the article (I just found it):

Interseting he felt that people over 35 were not his audience. I suspect they make up the bulk now! :wink:
It's our fault...we got old :(