Why did Schmoelling quit?

Jon
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Why did Schmoelling quit?

Post by Jon »

Does anyone know the exact reason behind Schmoelling leaving TD in 1985?
24db

Re: Why did Schmoelling quit?

Post by 24db »

Jon wrote:Does anyone know the exact reason behind Schmoelling leaving TD in 1985?
the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour (mind you that doesn't hold any water whatsoever, as they hadn't toured since 1983), so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more
Last edited by 24db on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
Jon wrote:Does anyone know the exact reason behind Schmoelling leaving TD in 1985?
the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour, so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more

And they cerainly were not shy at touring in them days :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:
the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour, so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more

I honestly think that Johannes will 'someday' regret turning Edgar down. At the moment it might seem the right thing for him, but I think his opinion might change
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour, so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more

I honestly think that Johannes will 'someday' regret turning Edgar down. At the moment it might seem the right thing for him, but I think his opinion might change
Wouldn't it be great if he returned to the fold :P
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
MrCox

Post by MrCox »

As an absolute fan of the early 80's TD music I would love his return. But maybe he and Edgar will collaborate again someday in the future, in a loose way or in special projects (like "Kyoto"). :)

Although Johannes left TD over 20 years ago his influence on Edgar's and TD's music can be felt until today, just listen to "Dalumination" or more recently "Persistence Of Memory" (on "Springtime In Nagasaki").
24db

Post by 24db »

TD is a 'Nil-sum'...Edgar learned off Johannes and visa versa...right down through the whole TD lineups over 40 years.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

It would be fantastic to see JS return for an album or two in the future,im sure that would generate a lot of interest with the fans :idea: :D
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

24db wrote:I honestly think that Johannes will 'someday' regret turning Edgar down. At the moment it might seem the right thing for him, but I think his opinion might change
I got the impression, reading between the lines, that JS has always been unsure of his decision to turn him down.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

If you look at any of the Schmoelling-era videos, ironically, Johannes always seemed to be having the most fun.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote: the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour, so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more

Excuse me for being a bit dense but what did Edgar offer Johannes?

My understanding was that EF asked JS to appear on stage at one of the recent shows. Did he also offer him a place back in the band? If Yes then for goodness sake say Yes Johannes.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Sfearical Sequence wrote:If you look at any of the Schmoelling-era videos, ironically, Johannes always seemed to be having the most fun.
You cant help but notice that............it stands out a mile :wink: He certainly does move around the most and the head is bobbing and toes are tapping..........I once thought Edgar was a Mannequin :shock: :o :arrow: :wink:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

epsilon75 wrote:
Sfearical Sequence wrote:If you look at any of the Schmoelling-era videos, ironically, Johannes always seemed to be having the most fun.
You cant help but notice that............it stands out a mile :wink: He certainly does move around the most and the head is bobbing and toes are tapping..........I once thought Edgar was a Mannequin :shock: :o :arrow: :wink:
Yep he was always the most animated in concert.

It genuinely surprised me when he left the band because he didn't want to tour.

To be fair though I don't think it was the playing on stage that he had a problem with but the shear number of shows he was expectedt to do.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Would'nt it be something else if he came back into the TD fold.......i know this has been discussed and exhausted on many occasions......but it is a wonderful thought 8) :wink:
timer

Post by timer »

epsilon75 wrote:Would'nt it be something else if he came back into the TD fold.......i know this has been discussed and exhausted on many occasions......but it is a wonderful thought 8) :wink:
Colin , now you are getting me started !