Why did Schmoelling quit?

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Why did Schmoelling quit?

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:
And they cerainly were not shy at touring in them days :)
I honestly think that Johannes will 'someday' regret turning Edgar down. At the moment it might seem the right thing for him, but I think his opinion might change
Excuse me for being a bit dense but what did Edgar offer Johannes?

My understanding was that EF asked JS to appear on stage at one of the recent shows. Did he also offer him a place back in the band? If Yes then for goodness sake say Yes Johannes.
You're right Chris, Johannes was asked to join TD on stage 'only', probably just a piano spot. I can't remember where I read it now (I haven't got access to my computer at the moment), perhaps it was in Conrad Gibson's long interview with Johannes last year?
24db

Post by 24db »

billythefish wrote:
24db wrote:I honestly think that Johannes will 'someday' regret turning Edgar down. At the moment it might seem the right thing for him, but I think his opinion might change
I got the impression, reading between the lines, that JS has always been unsure of his decision to turn him down.
It seems to me that Johannes is 'unsure' about his music in general, ie whether he has anything new to say (his words....not mine) and his piano playing abillity. Personally I think he's a great musician and he doesn't have to worry about his place in TD's history or in the larger EM world.
Perhaps he saw re-joining as a step back for him, perhaps returning to the same situation that made him want to leave in the first place, but that's just speculation on my part.
He did recently say that he couldn't think of playing live with TD again 'unless it was with Edgar and Chris'. He wouldn't say 'never'....but given the recent (and not so recent problems) with Chris, then it'll never happen.
I'm glad that Edgar asked him though, it was worth it, especially if it means that they might work again on some old tapes, who knows perhaps Thorsten might join in and that's a mouthing watering idea IMHO.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

I've just read the interview with Johannes from 2001 on Andy's blog. In it he states his reasons for leaving TD were pretty much the same as Chris Franke's.

Johannes felt that the creativity and quality of output in the band was suffering because of the endless album/tour/soundtrack treadmill they were on and he wanted to slow down a bit. It was not just the touring. Edgar obviously disagreed.

Johannes also states that all of the tracks on 'Le Parc' were recorded separately by individual members and the collaboration of ideas that had worked so well in the past had gone and he says for him that was the end of the band.

Personally I agree with Johannes. Read the interview. It's revealing.
krismopompas

Post by krismopompas »

http://www.radioeins.de/musik/interview ... lling.html

at minute 43:00:
he regret and missed the time with ef+cf ....... his dream for 2008/09 is a reunion for studio or stage as well, to hear how it would sound and what they have to "say" today.
--------------

ok, with cf the dream remains a dream :(
time is the fire in which we burn (zoran)
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:I've just read the interview with Johannes from 2001 on Andy's blog. In it he states his reasons for leaving TD were pretty much the same as Chris Franke's.

Johannes felt that the creativity and quality of output in the band was suffering because of the endless album/tour/soundtrack treadmill they were on and he wanted to slow down a bit. It was not just the touring. Edgar obviously disagreed.

Johannes also states that all of the tracks on 'Le Parc' were recorded separately by individual members and the collaboration of ideas that had worked so well in the past had gone and he says for him that was the end of the band.

Personally I agree with Johannes. Read the interview. It's revealing.
Last edited by 24db on Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I will believe it when i read it in a JS book,and nothing more :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

I think Frankfurt would have been the ideal night if this was to happen but alas it didn't
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Laserdisc Dream

Post by Laserdisc Dream »

24db wrote:
Jon wrote:Does anyone know the exact reason behind Schmoelling leaving TD in 1985?
the official line was Johannes didn't fancy doing tour after tour, so jumped ship. I'd guess that he just wanted to do some solo stuff more

I was thinking the same thing.
Because he wanted to his own solo album.

:!: :arrow:
Lucan

Post by Lucan »

epsilon75 wrote:It would be fantastic to see JS return for an album or two in the future,im sure that would generate a lot of interest with the fans :idea: :D
And why not? Carl Marsh just rejoined Shriekback after more than 20 years, so it would hardly be unprecedented.
If celibacy was good enough for my father, and his father before him, it's bloody well good enough for me!
alipaul

Post by alipaul »

Edgar, Thorsten & Johannes collaborating on an album would be wonderful...................dream come true
"Zero Tolerance on Cyber Bullying"

Rear Gunner Alipaul Reporting for Duty.
On guard duty to shoot all grizzlies on sight !!!

Currently Guarding Edgar's Moustache
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

alipaul wrote:Edgar, Thorsten & Johannes collaborating on an album would be wonderful...................dream come true
Totally agree.

I'm very keen to hear what Jerome and Johannes have been working on.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda