Tangerine Dream on BBC 4 TV in October

cantosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by cantosis »

A Hyperborean wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:However Kraftwerk's idea doesn't stand up at all, when they release English versions of their albums...then the bubble is burst.
I don't say Kraftwerk is trying to support fascist ideology... they don't. Their lyrics are not like that in any way. But I think they are using fascist aesthetics for elevating their recognisability... or maybe it was EMI's marketing idea.

Let me explain what I found so weird about yesterday's documentary, and why I then made the connection to the media's love of Kraftwerk: The first images I saw from "Krautrock" were some swastikas getting shuffled around on a yellowed map. I thought "What the heck is going on here, isn't this supposed to be about Krautrock? Why is the BBC trying to sell Germany's most important recent contribution to music from that angle to the viewers?" I don't know, you probably must be German for understanding how weird and awkward that looked (to Germans).
I suppose they did it for getting the viewers attention. A BBC documentary about a German subject just HAS to start with swastikas somehow. After all how could the BBC tell an interesting story about Germans without starting off with Germany's fascist past. Doesn't work. Or so that documentary's author thought.

It's all about what "clicks" with the viewer and listener. TD? Roedelius, Rother, Moebius, Schulze? Yawn... oh well, yes... innovative, creative, something for individualists. Not really for the mass- market. Kraftwerk? Now we're talking! Hypnotic, clearly defined structures. Shirts (not brown, but anyway it's a start). Streamlined, uniform appearance. Surrounding themselves with untouchable aloofness... Now that's something that could be marketed as German music!

And then BBC4 finished their "German evening" with this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvIg0pFYaSo

That's how "Minimum Maximum" begins. Red-White-Black. Colours everyone associates with Germany's Nazi past, summoning attention in the same way like the beginning of the "Krautrock" documentary with its WWII map.
They (Kraftwerk/EMI) soaked that music video with subliminal fascist aesthetics, while staying on the safe side of deniability all the time. NOT for saying "fascism is cool, why don't you join?", but for saying "Hi, we're the guys from Germany. Germany, remember? The country you love to hate. Now let's enjoy some machine beats together." It's all about how to sell something.

Unrelated: I found it fascinating how almost all of Germany's Krautrock musicians seem to have ended up in nice rural surroundings and on farms. Lucky guys.
Not being German it hadn't occured to me that the use of Nazi, Fascist imagery was inappropriate, but yes you are absolutely right, it was odd and distasteful for that stereotypical, WWII type idea of Germany to be used in a documentary about the birth of electronic music. It's frustrating to me that Kraftwerk receive far too much credit for their musical ability and contribution to the development of the genre, and yes you are correct that they were far more image based and gave the world a stereotypical German image to latch on to. Kraftwerk produced image-heavy pop music relying on silly robotic, "German oddity" stereotypical nonsense. Tangerine Dream produced and continue to produce far more sophisticated music with no pop-attractive image whatsoever. When I first became aware of TD it was through the film Risky Business and it was at least two years before I even knew what the band members looked like, and what their world views and opinions were, beyond the odd small album cover photograph. In many ways I preferred the mystery of not knowing who they were or what they looked like to the current level of intimate knowledge that we have of Edgar and the rest of the band. To get back to the documentary, I was surprised and pleased that quite a lot of Edgar's interview was used in the programme, but disappointed that their music and it's uniqueness wasn't referred to more and their use of the technology as it developed to digital with MIDI as we moved into the eighties. To me the documentary was too short and didn't focus enough on the MUSIC and it's development; it looked at the sociological issues too much and concentrated on the far too experimental, unlistenable music of people like Cluster, Faust and all the other LSD fogged artists. It's boring to long-term fans like us that these documentaries always use Phaedra as the only worthwhile example of TD's music. Why didn't they talk about the start of Virgin records or the rate of change in the technology? The Synth Britannia documentary was far more interesting and well constructed, even to those with no interest in "Electro-Pop". Yes, there should be a full, at least 90 minute documentary about Tangerine Dream made by people with a thorough knowledge of their music.

Great post mate, I agree 100%
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

A Hyperborean wrote:
Michael66 wrote:
24db wrote:However Kraftwerk's idea doesn't stand up at all, when they release English versions of their albums...then the bubble is burst.
I don't say Kraftwerk is trying to support fascist ideology... they don't. Their lyrics are not like that in any way. But I think they are using fascist aesthetics for elevating their recognisability... or maybe it was EMI's marketing idea.

Let me explain what I found so weird about yesterday's documentary, and why I then made the connection to the media's love of Kraftwerk: The first images I saw from "Krautrock" were some swastikas getting shuffled around on a yellowed map. I thought "What the heck is going on here, isn't this supposed to be about Krautrock? Why is the BBC trying to sell Germany's most important recent contribution to music from that angle to the viewers?" I don't know, you probably must be German for understanding how weird and awkward that looked (to Germans).
I suppose they did it for getting the viewers attention. A BBC documentary about a German subject just HAS to start with swastikas somehow. After all how could the BBC tell an interesting story about Germans without starting off with Germany's fascist past. Doesn't work. Or so that documentary's author thought.

It's all about what "clicks" with the viewer and listener. TD? Roedelius, Rother, Moebius, Schulze? Yawn... oh well, yes... innovative, creative, something for individualists. Not really for the mass- market. Kraftwerk? Now we're talking! Hypnotic, clearly defined structures. Shirts (not brown, but anyway it's a start). Streamlined, uniform appearance. Surrounding themselves with untouchable aloofness... Now that's something that could be marketed as German music!

That's how "Minimum Maximum" begins. Red-White-Black. Colours everyone associates with Germany's Nazi past, summoning attention in the same way like the beginning of the "Krautrock" documentary with its WWII map.
They (Kraftwerk/EMI) soaked that music video with subliminal fascist aesthetics, while staying on the safe side of deniability all the time. NOT for saying "fascism is cool, why don't you join?", but for saying "Hi, we're the guys from Germany. Germany, remember? The country you love to hate. Now let's enjoy some machine beats together." It's all about how to sell something.

Unrelated: I found it fascinating how almost all of Germany's Krautrock musicians seem to have ended up in nice rural surroundings and on farms. Lucky guys.
Not being German it hadn't occured to me that the use of Nazi, Fascist imagery was inappropriate, but yes you are absolutely right, it was odd and distasteful for that stereotypical, WWII type idea of Germany to be used in a documentary about the birth of electronic music. It's frustrating to me that Kraftwerk receive far too much credit for their musical ability and contribution to the development of the genre, and yes you are correct that they were far more image based and gave the world a stereotypical German image to latch on to. Kraftwerk produced image-heavy pop music relying on silly robotic, "German oddity" stereotypical nonsense. Tangerine Dream produced and continue to produce far more sophisticated music with no pop-attractive image whatsoever. When I first became aware of TD it was through the film Risky Business and it was at least two years before I even knew what the band members looked like, and what their world views and opinions were, beyond the odd small album cover photograph. In many ways I preferred the mystery of not knowing who they were or what they looked like to the current level of intimate knowledge that we have of Edgar and the rest of the band. To get back to the documentary, I was surprised and pleased that quite a lot of Edgar's interview was used in the programme, but disappointed that their music and it's uniqueness wasn't referred to more and their use of the technology as it developed to digital with MIDI as we moved into the eighties. To me the documentary was too short and didn't focus enough on the MUSIC and it's development; it looked at the sociological issues too much and concentrated on the far too experimental, unlistenable music of people like Cluster, Faust and all the other LSD fogged artists. It's boring to long-term fans like us that these documentaries always use Phaedra as the only worthwhile example of TD's music. Why didn't they talk about the start of Virgin records or the rate of change in the technology? The Synth Britannia documentary was far more interesting and well constructed, even to those with no interest in "Electro-Pop". Yes, there should be a full, at least 90 minute documentary about Tangerine Dream made by people with a thorough knowledge of their music.
Very well said IMO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

Michael66 wrote:

Ok...firstly the swastikas come from the opening titles of 'Dad's Army'...a comedy programe from the late 60's and early 70's. The arrrows mirror how the Nazi's actually pushed back the Allies to Dunkirk...but in a humourous way (it's a comedy programme about the home guard. In later years 'allo 'allo would cover the same ground. But it would take Germany a decade or more to distance themselves enough from the horror to laugh about it on TV or for that matter to treat it in a serious way in such as in films like 'Downfall'. You could say the same thing about more recent events such as the Lives of others representation of the Stasi and East Germany post 1989). Being German you might not have made that connection with UK comedy. The programme was trying to point out where the UK's mindset was at that time (Racism in all forms was far more exceptable, Ian MacDonald first Germany Calling comments in which he or others coined Krautrock tapped into a all Germans are Krauts' mindeset that would be exported to the UK by the Yanks....I'll add at this point I'm half German and US soliders did nazi salutes over my sisters pram just after the war. Seems insane and at the same time if you can step-back into the mind of the people at the time it's 'almost' understandable...which of course misses the point by a million miles.... as the kids at the time wouldn't have picked up the on the Nazi symbolism at all. They were kids after all. Kraftwerk playfully 'play' with the symbolism in a more or less subtle way...the humour for some is totally missed...Nazis but with lipstick...stormtroopers but with an A-sexual , almost GAY...non agressive way. ...But I think most people would have bought the music first without even seeing Kraftwerk on TV, their appearances were VERY rare.
Last edited by 24db on Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:42 pm, edited 6 times in total.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

being completely neutral in this, kraftwerk are used as a reference point because the majority enjoy music with beats, melody, tunes, foot tapping....which kw have provided.

i rather enjoy td because they have always stood as outsiders, fact
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

respect to the Might BM for making this available to the masses
har

Post by har »

Well I taped this and hope to watch it at some point over the weekend.

Bit disappointed if the portrayal was innapropriate for our German friends......... :? We love you really, the Scots even support you in some football matches :wink: :wink: :wink:

Looking forward to seeing this.
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

Good debate here. Excellent posts from Michael66. I also agree with Andy (24db) about ‘The Model’ being a freak hit as it was a B-side. Many years earlier ‘Autobahn’ had been a hit – but not because it was pop or danceable, but I suggest, because it was seen as a jokey novelty record (there always had to be at least one token novelty record in the UK charts in those days, whether it be Benny Hill, Joe Dolce or Lieutenant Pigeon).

The ending of the Kraut Rock documentary gave the impression that all German bands, with the exception of Kraftwerk, went into obscurity after 1975. I was waiting for them to add “except Tangerine Dream”, but it didn’t come.

Similarly at the finale of last week’s Synth Britannia, it implied that by the mid-80s the genre had exhausted itself. Yes the hits dried up as fashion moved on, yet two of the greatest synth pop albums ever were released in 1985 – the Human League’s vastly underrated ‘Romantic?’ and the largely unknown ‘Elegant Machinery’ by DATA, the most powerful sequencer pop album I’ve heard.

Regarding Andy's comment that Chris Franke said a big hit single would have killed Tangerine Dream. That’s an interesting point. Presumably Franke’s comment is one made since he left the band. I find it hard to imagine TD pleading with Richard Branson in 1976 not to release ‘Stratosfear’ or ‘Choronzon’ in 1981 as singles, yet I can imagine them objecting to the making of a more commercial remix, complete with added tambourine, of ‘Encore’ (Monolight) for single release. Who knows, if the single had been a hit Peter Baumann might not have felt the need to leave and make ‘Repeat Repeat’ and ‘Strangers In the Night’. Sorry, only joking. ‘Romance 76’ and ‘Trans Harmonic Nights’ are fine works.

I suppose it would be said that ‘Warsaw in the Sun’ was released as a single to promote the ‘Poland’ album. Yet, if it had been a sizeable hit, there would’ve been many buyers disappointed to find that the album contained four un-single like side-long epics. But this wouldn’t have been the first time this had happened. Both Vangelis and Jarre had hit singles in the late 70s, early 80s and still continued to release ‘serious’ album material with commercial success after, so I’m not sure I agree with Franke, unless he meant it would've caused a split in personnel (see earlier Peter Baumann reference). I can't imagine that Johannes or Edgar would've left to concentrate on making hit singles!

TD produced some very melodic and even danceable material in the early 80s. How much of this was their choice or the demand of their record companies? The former I would suggest, yet Virgin must have been pleased that they’d come a long way since ‘Oedipus Tyrannus’. They probably came quite near to having a hit, but Virgin clearly overlooked some great opportunities to release suitable singles and I think wrong choices were made sometimes. ‘Central Park’ would’ve been a better choice from ‘Le Parc’, but I suppose Jive chose ‘Streethawk’ because of its TV connection.

Is TD’s music danceable? Of course it is. Certainly much of it since the 80s has been and even going back to ’77 - ‘Impressions of Sorcerer’ is downright funky and I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before Edgar releases a 120bpm remake of ‘Birth of Liquid Plejades’. I’ve certainly danced to TD on a dance floor, but I’m afraid the evidence has been destroyed. Have courage, use a bit of imagination and you can dance to anything.

Finally, one of my favourite quotes from the 70s – “If Kraftwerk are the future of pop, then Tangerine Dream are the future of rock”.
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

24db wrote:
Michael66 wrote:

Ok...firstly the swastikas come from Dad's Army...a comedy programe from the late 60's and early 70's. The arrrows mirror how the Nazi's actually pushed back the Allies to Dunkirk...but in a humourous way (it's a comedy programme about the home guard. In later years 'ello 'ello would cover the same ground. But it would take Germany a decade or more to distance themselves enough from the horror to laugh about it in TV or to treat it in a serious way such as in films like 'Downfall'). Being German you might not have made that connection. The programme was trying to point out where the UK's mindset was at that time (Racism in all forms was far more exceptable, Ian MacDonald first Germany Calling comments in which he or others coined Krautrock tapped into a all Germans are Krauts' mideset that would be exported to the UK by the Yanks....I'll add at this point I'm half German and US soliders did nazi salutes over my sisters pram just after the war. Seems insane and at the same time if you can step[ back into the mind of the people at the time it's 'almost' understandable)...which of course misses the point by a million miles.... as the kids at the time wouldn't have picked up the on the Nazi symbolism at all. They were kids after all. Kraftwerk playfully 'play' with the symbolism in a more or less subtle way...the humour for some is totally missed...Nazis but with lipstick...stormtroopers but with an A-sexual , alomost GAY...non argressive way. ...But I think kost people would have bought the music first without even seeing Kraftwerk on TV, their appearances were VERY rare.
Yes, I know the German-British war references were from the opening titles and music of a very funny British comedy (just about every UK resident would know this), but that doesn't remove the possible insult of it and it renders the issue of Germany's self-perception at the time as insignificant or even laughable, when it should have been presented clearly and seriously. I don't know much about Kraftwerk and they never seemed serious or important to me, so I made a point of watching the hour long concert film after the documentary and found their music to be very simple with virtually the same basic thing for every song. The tunes, although catchy from the well known singles, were becoming boring after an hour, using the same sounds every time. This may be deliberate and I don't expect every "Synth using" band to be like TD, but surely their simplistic music and reliance on futuristic ideas of computer-human interaction, robotics and machinery, makes them less important as musicians and perhaps more important as intellectual artists.
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Post by 24db »

I agree, but I was replying to Michael's post. Good points though
24db

Post by 24db »

Btw kraftwerk's compostions are so strong they're bullet proof...you can transpose them into any style (Mexican, easy listening, string quartet) and the strength of the writing shines out...TD's does not...because it is about timbre, and the blending of sounds...more than melodies....I refer readers to Edgar's comments about TD from the Mixing It 'Berlin Special' from several years back or as Paul Morley said...it's 'chromatically respendant'. This is why if you want to copy TD 'exactly' it is so hard...so many have tried and so few have succeeded. Kraftwerk is like telling a certain story...most of use can do it and by and large you can recognise the tale, TD are like doing it an a certain accent...it's harder to do
A Hyperborean

Post by A Hyperborean »

24db wrote:Btw kraftwerk's compostions are so strong they're bullet proof...you can transpose them into any style (Mexican, easy listening, string quartet) and the strength of the writing shines out...TD's does not...because it is about timbre, and the blending of sounds...more than melodies....I refer readers to Edgar's comments about TD from the Mixing It 'Berlin Special' from several years back or as Paul Morley said...it's 'chromatically respendant'. This is why if you want to copy TD 'exactly' it is so hard...so many have tried and so few have succeeded. Kraftwerk is like telling a certain story...most of use can do it and by and large you can recognise the tale, TD are like doing it an a certain accent...it's harder to do
Yes, sorry, I was supporting Michael's view, but I'm sure he could do it himself. I like the point about TD's music being less strong melodically and more about timbre. It agrees with Edgar's occasional statements about TD being "Painters with sound"; they certainly create emotional pictures in sound. Having said that, I think that when Johannes Schmoelling joined TD he added a strong melodic element that was missing before (and sometimes since) and this is why I prefer this period of TD's musical output. JS's solo music is often very quirky, almost eccentric with very 'catchy' phrases and it has some beautiful single crying sound lines. At least that's how I like to understand it!
Tangerine Dream cleans my brain.
24db

Post by 24db »

A Hyperborean wrote:
24db wrote:Btw kraftwerk's compostions are so strong they're bullet proof...you can transpose them into any style (Mexican, easy listening, string quartet) and the strength of the writing shines out...TD's does not...because it is about timbre, and the blending of sounds...more than melodies....I refer readers to Edgar's comments about TD from the Mixing It 'Berlin Special' from several years back or as Paul Morley said...it's 'chromatically respendant'. This is why if you want to copy TD 'exactly' it is so hard...so many have tried and so few have succeeded. Kraftwerk is like telling a certain story...most of use can do it and by and large you can recognise the tale, TD are like doing it an a certain accent...it's harder to do
Yes, sorry, I was supporting Michael's view, but I'm sure he could do it himself. I like the point about TD's music being less strong melodically and more about timbre. It agrees with Edgar's occasional statements about TD being "Painters with sound"; they certainly create emotional pictures in sound. Having said that, I think that when Johannes Schmoelling joined TD he added a strong melodic element that was missing before (and sometimes since) and this is why I prefer this period of TD's musical output. JS's solo music is often very quirky, almost eccentric with very 'catchy' phrases and it has some beautiful single crying sound lines. At least that's how I like to understand it!
I can see where you are coming from, but when Chris Franke says that (in the early 80's) that most of the melodies came from Edgar then it (for me anyway) makes me respect Johannes's work even more. As the 80's progressed all three musicians should be seen as 'complete composers', able to come up with almost complete tracks that the others could add ideas to or suggest ways to improve them:

Chris Franke:

TANGERINE DREAM
THE ORIGINAL SULTANS OF SYNTH BRING DIGITAL TECHNOLOGY TO THE SILVER SCREEN
"Many conventional composers have to repeat themselves. But for a scene we have all seen hundreds of times before in other films, we don't do the same old cliché." Christoph Franke

by Gerald Seligman
A jet thunders across the sky. A bounding major-key melody soars after it, straddling a pulsing synth beat and the measured thud of a Simmons drum. All are requisite phrases in the electronic vocabulary, and all stem from the only group that can claim the sound as their own, the German trio Tangerine Dream. "I guess we've reached the public," says founding member (sic) Christoph Franke. "In 1970, we started as pioneers. We also created our own style. Later, people found that electronics can extend the possibilities of other styles, through jazz and avant-garde music, and finally to disco and pop music. It just spread out. "Over the course of a 20-year existence, the trio's influence has indeed circled the globe. Jean-Michel Jarre, Vangelis, Kraftwerk and virtually all the English synth bands are only the most obvious.

Through their scores for films like Sorcerer, Thief, Firestarter, and Ridley Scott's Legend, Tangerine Dream have altered the sound of cinema as well. Giorgio Moroder's numerous electronic soundtracks and Maurice Jarre's score for Witness are almost acts of plagiarism."It's unusual for a team to score films," Franke says, "so we work a little differently, and much faster than an ordinary composer." With their compositions stored on floppy disk, Franke, Edgar Froese and Johannes Schmoelling can alter, rearrange and rescore passages at will, giving directors like Ridley Scott great input into the final product. "Instead of an orchestral score where they have to buy what they get, we can make fast changes ...Every film is a little bit different. Legend is in a state where there is a final cut already existing. So we watch the video, and we have group discussions with the director and the sound editor. Then we make a cue sheet with all the different cues and accents we want to do. We try to score by teamwork, where first one person, then another, develops the style and melody. Finally, we put our tapes together and mix them with the director, who always does have influence in the process."What attracts many film directors to Tangerine Dream-besides their ability to score a film in three weeks-is the band's ability to undermine predictable musical moments.

Composers like John Williams reach back into collective experience, plucking out useful musical bits and pieces which tickle the filmgoer's memory. But Tangerine Dream, who come out of a different tradition and have had to learn the trade from scratch, have an approach directors often find refreshing. "Many conventional composers have to repeat themselves," comments Franke. "But for a scene we have all seen hundreds of times before in other films, we don't do the same old cliché. We can try something else, sometimes a counterpoint to the action, instead of going with the film ...Sometimes you need a second line which goes a bit differently."From the film work," adds Franke, "we sometimes get ideas for our own records. We find, by accident, structures which we can use somewhere else." Their latest album, Le Parc, is a case in point. As in a film score, "we wanted to have a lot of different composition cells, which we first wanted to bring into one long piece. But then we saw the pieces we had in mind were a lot different. Some have a pretty strong rhythm, and others are very Japanese-ish." As a result, the trio opted for separate tracks. "But it still sounds like one long piece, because they are selected in a way that are like symphonic movements."The idea for Le Parc germinated through the band's many years of traveling. They began noting the role parks play in the lives of cities and their inhabitants. The tracks are titled after parks the world over, from Paris' Bois de Boulogne to Barcelona's Gaudi to Kyoto's Zen Garden.

Each group member contributed to the final composition."For `Central Park,' Johannes did a lot of basic material first," says Franke. "We always found that in a too-fast rhythm, it sounds hectic, yet somehow almost too happy. And then when we had it too slow, it was never hectic enough. So a couple of times we changed the rhythm, and a lot of the instrumentation ...There was a 'B' part-the 'A' theme was there from the beginning, we all liked it-but we kept changing the `B` part, because it somehow sounded too classical. It went through three or four changes."Usually, we start off with each of us doing our demos for the different pieces, so there are already basic tracks. And everybody has pretty much the same equipment, which is quite a big help since computer memory is used to store all the sound colors and virtually everything we play on the keyboard. Some are even stored before they get onto the tape recorder. This way we can exchange floppy disks to hear the compositions ...From our different rehearsal rooms, we can even play over the phone the latest tunes we've come up with. "The work then becomes collaborative as the demos are altered by a free exchange of compositional ideas. At other times, a given piece is entirely collaborative, from inception onward. So the earlier role of "Edgar playing melody, Johannes chords, and me [Franke] percussion" has given way to an integrated trio of composer-musicians alternating roles as the moment may require.

This is, after all, a group that began synthesizing music way back in the stone age of the computer era. But the wealth of technological advancement since the early Seventies has not significantly altered their sound. "Electronics is not the main thing," says Franke. "Instead, it's the expression. The outcome is important, that's all, and it's just much easier to shape sounds this way. All the instruments with all the memory help you not think so much about technology anymore-they leave more space for creativity."New developments, especially digital samplers and polyphonic synthesizers, have simply made their electronic palette more colorful and, better still, more accessible. "Our music started to be very monophonic and very simple in texture," says Franke. "Today, we have a much wider spectrum and dynamic range when we use polyphonic, multi-timbre instruments." Where once Tangerine Dream used a varied assortment of untreated acoustic instruments-guitars, woodwinds, drums, human voice-sampling is now the rule of the day. "Through sampling machines, you can use acoustic material in different ways without hearing much that's different in the sound color.

You just play them a different way ...Now it blends together with everything else. Only yesterday there was a sitar player here [in Berlin]. First I sampled it through a computer and then later, had him play the whole part after I had composed it. On the song `Yellowstone Park,' I used some vocal fragments of a female singer [Clare Torry] who is able to improvise very spontaneously. She sang on Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. I used it more like an effect. And I still might use a 12-string guitar or a celeste. We have sampled a lot of guitar sounds on Roland synthesizers. It sounds even more aggressive."Sampling has added other dimensions the trio would never have thought possible five or more years ago, particularly in the area of live performance. Some of the credit for this should go to Tangerine Dream themselves. Since they undertook live performance, they've worked closely with scores of international engineers and companies to develop stage-worthy electronic instruments. "Our first involvement with engineers was when we wanted to do all these tours," says Franke. "Because most electronic musicians have stayed in their studios, they didn't have problems.

They start, technically, when you go on stage-all the mechanical problems, keeping everything in tune, all the temperature changes on stage. So we started to modify it all, and to make it possible to have a lot of different sound colors in easy access. We couldn't play around with a lot of the patch cords of our earlier days, and the power supplies were much too weak. This all had to change."According to Franke, the expertise inherent in even being able to suggest these modifications came catch as catch can. "We aren't engineers, so we can't repair any instruments or read diagrams. We all have musical backgrounds and just use the technique like somebody who plays the piano. We're coming more from the musical side and have learned slowly about the technical dealings."

Their first engineering, contact was Robert Moog, followed by among others, the German company PPG, a forerunner in digital synthesis. The trio continue to work with unaffiliated engineers and companies who design to the band's own specifications, ones not often associated with instrument manufacturing. Their touring setup consists of "only five or six keyboards each and a couple of rhythm machines and sequencers. Some instruments we have are similar, but we always make sure each setup is a little different so that we don't have one particular keyboard three times. In the mixture we have, pretty much, all keyboards available."Every module is a complete polyphonic synthesizer. It's all much more compact, much easier to transport and service, and has many more sound varieties. It's really hundreds of setups." In addition, each concert doesn't require a team of "stage engineers," as it used to. "You don't have to bring your home studio onto the stage."The band is now gearing up for their first American tour since 1977, which should kick off by early spring.

They approach each tour the same way they approach a new recording: "We have this idea," comments Frank, "that every concert tour should have a new program. We don't repeat music from our records. We compose new pieces. First, we compose the major themes, working pretty much from rough to fine. We have an overall dynamic curve for the whole concert, and then we go into the more detailed work like filling this gap of five minutes out and then that one. We have months of rehearsals where the composition and the place for improvisation will be practiced."At this stage, we can draw a piece and then put it in a different order. It's still flexible, so the composition too is somehow modular," he adds with a laugh. "Then we try out how it fits and go into a rehearsal cinema where we play the concert for two weeks." Then there's some final shaping, ending with "one or two performance concerts, which we tape. With the tape, the light crew starts to develop their light show."

They also design film, laser, and even computer graphics shows for accompaniment."The potential for sinking into improvisational chaos is a pressing concern to Tangerine Dream. It's one they've somewhat resolved by composing structures in much the same way as a jazz trio. "We went through a couple of years, since 1979 maybe, where our structure for a live performance changed from 70 percent improvisation to the reverse. Today, maybe 60 or 70 percent is actually composed and arranged. Just by having contact on stage, we can shorten or lengthen improvisation. If it's running quite well, one night we can do it much longer, 20 minutes. On another night, if it's falling into chaos, we can go into the next fragment after only 10 minutes. "The approach adds an element of disciplined composition you may not normally expect from groundbreakers like Tangerine Dream. But as Franke comments, "If you do the long tours and bigger halls, and not just the experimental halls like when we started in '70, you just cannot take the risk anymore."Because of this, he adds, "Some people from the old days think we don't take many risks anymore. On the other hand, they like it, because the music is much more colorful. They get a lot more musical surprises."

Music Sound Output. DECEMBER 1985
har

Post by har »

I remember you posted this in another thread andy and it stuck in my mind;

"To say it as simple as I can, Tangerine Dream music always has been a reflection of a certain state of consciousness. The main difference I have felt was that there is a different texture, less melodies, less ‘theme orientated’ music. So you have a more or less environmental sound, which is not wallpaper. But it's a sound you live in, which you are surrounded with. It's atmospheric."

A sound you live in, which you are surrounded with. 8)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I think that for an outsider, the doc did well to draw in interest.....while there wasn't enough TD and some 'krautrock' groups missing (ASHRATEMPEL....et al)...it was a good overview and hopefully will drive those not fully into the music to do so.
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

very pleased that the doc recording what I recorded has bin downloaded 221 times......I wonder how many are TD fans :P :P