Nick Mason and TD

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Nick Mason and TD

Post by 24db »

It's interesting to read (albeit in French, so I might not have it 100% correct :D) that Nick Mason invited all three members over to his house/studio to listen to Pink Floyd's LP Animals....Peter wasn't impressed?

With apologies if you can read French (my scanner doesn't support French characters):

Special commerage : Tangerine Dream chez Pink Floyd

Nick Mason avait invite recemment les trois dreamers a ecouter chez lui le nouvel album du Floyd. Peter Baumann n'a pas ete tendre dans ses appreciations. Selon lui, il a eu I'impression d'entrer dans une honorable maison de retraite pour bourgeois nantis et trouve que la musique d'« Animals » etait redoutablement a cette image. Y'a plus d'enfants !...

source: Best 102, January 1977. Page 11
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

8) Cool. 8)

Quite like Animals myself. The live show was good too.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

Chris Monk wrote:8) Cool. 8)

Quite like Animals myself. The live show was good too.
Agreed Chris,a fantastic album IMHO 8)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

"Animals" was a good album ... but not a great album.

For anyone that had been listening to P for many years they would have known that they had played on one of their sets around DSOTM a couple of different things, one of which was a cut called "Raving and Drooling".

I was disappointed when "Wish You Were Here" came out ... not so much because of its work, but to my ears it was the most obvious and blatant sell out and carbon copy of DSOTM that I had ever seen ... same conceptual design.

So when "Animals" finally came out, it was good and very enjoyable, but the new version of "Raving and Drooling" was pompous, pretentious and not half as good as the original, which was another rocker kick butt concert opener like "One of These Days" was ... R&D was more space rock than it was "trip rock" ... and it would have been one of those cuts that the band could easily jam and have fun with ... and "Sheep" took the freedom away.

Recording wise and quality wise, it was a wonderful album ... but I can tell you that I hear R&D a lot more than I do "Sheep" ... which is not as nice. .... but there is a nice side of this ... when I saw their tour at Anaheim Stadium when they do the hard keyboard chord change I can easily tell you that half the stadium floated off some and the stomach took a far out turn ... and that was neat. ... well ... right around Roger getting upset at people fighting for pieces of the pig!

That some of these people know each other .. should not surprise anyone ... specially in Europe ... and you can even hear Klaus Schulze be so happy that he got to see Edgar at his Rheingold concert with Lisa Gerrard ... if Peter didn't like it ... so what? He's certainly made his name in music since then I guess ...
j_pertou

Post by j_pertou »

Speaking of "Animals", did anyone know that the 8-track version had an added guitar section, and it was used to create an infinite loop after the last track ended, and the first track began again? How cool is that!
When it's dark enough, you can see the stars.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

j_pertou wrote:Speaking of "Animals", did anyone know that the 8-track version had an added guitar section, and it was used to create an infinite loop after the last track ended, and the first track began again? How cool is that!
You know what, now that you mention it, I did know that. A mate of mine's older brother had an 8-track machine in his car and I'm sure we listened to Animals on that. Blimey, that's going back some years. I think he had some Zep and Purple too.
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Pink Floyd's best album IMO. Animals is a classic. Not to be played much after the 1977 Animals Tour. Hard to find any live Animals, with exception of the good boots out there. Photo on album cover a classic shot. Little Piggies on the Wing. . . .Oink!
DREAMING. . . . Now, Then!
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

Chris Monk wrote:
j_pertou wrote:Speaking of "Animals", did anyone know that the 8-track version had an added guitar section, and it was used to create an infinite loop after the last track ended, and the first track began again? How cool is that!
You know what, now that you mention it, I did know that. A mate of mine's older brother had an 8-track machine in his car and I'm sure we listened to Animals on that. Blimey, that's going back some years. I think he had some Zep and Purple too.
I'll have to ask one of my best mates here. I know he's got a shite load of 8 track tapes from the days. And I'm sure he's got PF's Animals.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

tdream4ever wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
I'll have to ask one of my best mates here. I know he's got a shite load of 8 track tapes from the days. And I'm sure he's got PF's Animals.
Still a good load of 8 track tapes from different bands on ebay :arrow:
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

Cool fun fact this. :-) And yes, Animals is amongst PF's very best.
24db

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:...Hard to find any live Animals, with exception of the good boots out there.
I've got quite a few myself, but most are just DSOTM...which is good, but I don't rate it as highly as WYWH or Animals
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:...Hard to find any live Animals, with exception of the good boots out there.
I've got quite a few myself, but most are just DSOTM...which is good, but I don't rate it as highly as WYWH or Animals
Thats why I have the PIG on the wing as my avatar or whatever you call it. Classic!!
24db

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:
24db wrote:
Thats why I have the PIG on the wing as my avatar or whatever you call it. Classic!!
nice one. I guess I heard DSOTM far too late to appreciate it...I just caught PF at the end of the seventies with WYWH...bought from Woolworths :)...didn't hear Dark Side until years later...perhaps on CD?
tdream4ever

Post by tdream4ever »

24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote:
24db wrote: I've got quite a few myself, but most are just DSOTM...which is good, but I don't rate it as highly as WYWH or Animals
nice one. I guess I heard DSOTM far too late to appreciate it...I just caught PF at the end of the seventies with WYWH...bought from Woolworths :)...didn't hear Dark Side until years later...perhaps on CD?
Dont get me wrong. I like DSOTM and WYWH and even the Wall. But Animals. When I first bought the album and brought it home and played it. I was like this is the shite album or something like that. Even my dad gave it a smile. You should of heard him when I brought home AC/DC's Let There be Rock album. :evil: It wasn't till a few years later when I saw the midnight showing of Live in Pompeii what I was really missing before. And of course after that, I found the DREAM. And the rest. . . .
24db

Post by 24db »

tdream4ever wrote:
24db wrote:
tdream4ever wrote: Thats why I have the PIG on the wing as my avatar or whatever you call it. Classic!!
Dont get me wrong. I like DSOTM and WYWH and even the Wall. But Animals. When I first bought the album and brought it home and played it. I was like this is the shite album or something like that. Even my dad gave it a smile. You should of heard him when I brought home AC/DC's Let There be Rock album. :evil: It wasn't till a few years later when I saw the midnight showing of Live in Pompeii what I was really missing before. And of course after that, I found the DREAM. And the rest. . . .
...is a big credit card bill? ;)