TD's tour of Australia in 1982

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD's tour of Australia in 1982

Post by 24db »

I was intrigued to read last night (btw many thanks to Gary) that TD had hoped to perform 6-7 concerts during their 1982 tour of Australia, but in the end only performed 4 (Apparently 2 concerts where planned for Sydney on the same date, with the earlier 5pm concert being cancelled, even though tickets had been issued).
epsilon75

Re: TD's tour of Australia in 1982

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:I was intrigued to read last night (btw many thanks to Gary) that TD had hoped to perform 6-7 concerts during their 1982 tour of Australia, but in the end only performed 4 (Apparently 2 concerts where planned for Sydney on the same date, with the earlier 5pm concert being cancelled, even though tickets had been issued).

This on the blog Andy ?
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

epsilon75 wrote:
24db wrote:I was intrigued to read last night (btw many thanks to Gary) that TD had hoped to perform 6-7 concerts during their 1982 tour of Australia, but in the end only performed 4 (Apparently 2 concerts where planned for Sydney on the same date, with the earlier 5pm concert being cancelled, even though tickets had been issued).

This on the blog Andy ?
No mate. Gary is sending me a radio interview (although it's possible that it never got broadast). I'll transcribe it when I have some time.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

24db wrote:
epsilon75 wrote:

This on the blog Andy ?
No mate. Gary is sending me a radio interview (although it's possible that it never got broadast). I'll transcribe it when I have some time.
Excellent :D Cheers 8) :)
RIP Edgar. I am going to miss you.
24db

Post by 24db »

Disc received (45/48 minutes long)...transcript to follow later in the year (interesting stuff, covering some topics I've never heard Edgar talk about before)
24db

Post by 24db »

the archivist at 4ZzZ is trying to find an accurate broadcast date (if in fact it was)...in the meantime I'll transcribe it

interesting interview I've got to say
24db

Post by 24db »

10 minutes transcribed so far...it's slow work
hansx

Post by hansx »

24db wrote:10 minutes transcribed so far...it's slow work
spend some more time on it. :lol: :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

hansx wrote:
24db wrote:10 minutes transcribed so far...it's slow work
spend some more time on it. :lol: :wink:
Sorry mate...other things need my attention at the moment
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

It was the 82 Australian tour where Chris nearly was killed? As some wiring became faulty in the Moog Modular (due to the way they were transported), and when he switched it on, he got an electric shock.
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:It was the 82 Australian tour where Chris nearly was killed? As some wiring became faulty in the Moog Modular (due to the way they were transported), and when he switched it on, he got an electric shock.
1975 mate

Chris Franke: "All the modules had been built into one big case, to save time setting up on stage. The large case was shipped upside-down, and after 48 hours on the plane, the heavy transformers came loose and fell through the circuitry. When I first plugged it into the mains in Australia, I got a heavy electric shock. It wouldn't make any sound, and two days were spent repairing it and flying stuff in from Germany. That was a nightmare -- I nearly lost my life on that one".

from Sound on Sound

Edgar (interviewed by David James in Brisbane on the radio station 4ZZZ in 1982):

Edgar Froese: "The Major instrument, a sequencer which was doing all the rhythm structures, broke down on the flight from Germany to Australia. They've put it upside down, so the power supply, the screws of the power supply, came off and no one noticed. We plugged it in, at the first concert in Melbourne. After we plugged it in there was that typical sort of smell and crackling and the instrument was gone and there was nobody who could repair it. If the oscillators suddenly get a power of 220 volts instead of a count of one volt per octave, that's too much and the whole instrument was broken"

.."We had to rent some Minimoogs and you know what it means, if you are trained to use all these machines and if you can't and if you have to start playing Minimoogs and organs, and so the music was s**t to be honest"

I've slightly changed what Edgar said...just to make it more readable...but the meaning remains the same
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Thanks Andy
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:Thanks Andy
no problem mate