29.9.68: Essen Grugahalle, Germany

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

29.9.68: Essen Grugahalle, Germany

Post by 24db »

TD appear with Amon Düül, Guru Guru, Tim Buckley & Frank Zappa. The event was organised by the Association Internationale Essener Song-Tage & Rolf Ulrich Kaiser

Any comments about this recording?

Like this? then try;

Human Being: live at the Zodiak - Berlin 1968 (AMC09008)
burningbrain

Post by burningbrain »

The common recording of this, available through the trees, is not Tangerine Dream and is not 1968.

Pre-Tree this was circulating for 20 years under the name Live 72/73, unknown. Then the Tree-Operators renamed it to Grugahalle 1968, for unknown reasons.

What TD sounds at that time, you can see in the Bathtube Sessions. Totally different...
24db

Post by 24db »

burningbrain wrote:The common recording of this, available through the trees, is not Tangerine Dream and is not 1968.

Pre-Tree this was circulating for 20 years under the name Live 72/73, unknown. Then the Tree-Operators renamed it to Grugahalle 1968, for unknown reasons.

What TD sounds at that time, you can see in the Bathtube Sessions. Totally different...
that's what I thought...but I decided not to say anything ;)

the Bathtube clip comes from 1969 btw
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

burningbrain wrote:The common recording of this, available through the trees, is not Tangerine Dream and is not 1968.

So, to be clear, TT Vol 59 is definitely NOT TD - or they've simply got the venue and/or date incorrect?

I always wondered about that one, considering the 1968 aspect of it! :shock:
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Ahhh don't do this too me.

All my Tree and Leaves CD's are boxed up and under the roof. All the boxes are small and unlabelled. Going take me ages to find the right recordings.

....I suppose that shows how much I listen to them.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
24db

Post by 24db »

Chris Monk wrote:Ahhh don't do this too me.

All my Tree and Leaves CD's are boxed up and under the roof. All the boxes are small and unlabelled. Going take me ages to find the right recordings.

come on Chris...you know you want to! ;). Got to admit that I have at least 100 discs in the loft...sadly that still leaves 100 ready to play downstairs, including some that never made it to the 'official' TT and TL stage.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:

come on Chris...you know you want to! ;). Got to admit that I have at least 100 discs in the loft...sadly that still leaves 100 ready to play downstairs, including some that never made it to the 'official' TT and TL stage.
Getting more than a little fed up with all these CD's all over the place. Thinking of droping them all down on to a central server or summat and playing them back through the hifi. Bit naffed off that nobody does a decent commercial set-up. B&O do but it's waaaaay outside my price bracket. Sony also do but it's only got 80 GB which is just plain stupid.

Gripe over.... please continue. :wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
hansx

Post by hansx »

Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote:

Getting more than a little fed up with all these CD's all over the place. Thinking of droping them all down on to a central server or summat and playing them back through the hifi. Bit naffed off that nobody does a decent commercial set-up. B&O do but it's waaaaay outside my price bracket. Sony also do but it's only got 80 GB which is just plain stupid.

I have all the recordings on my ipod, so I can pick them very easily.

But for this one, there is no need to do any trouble. I really don't like it. If it is TD or not. No one knows. There is hardly any real music on it to hear. Only screming, birds and more of this. I have heard it again now, but assume that will be the last time.Sorry.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

hansx wrote:
Chris Monk wrote:
24db wrote: come on Chris...you know you want to! ;). Got to admit that I have at least 100 discs in the loft...sadly that still leaves 100 ready to play downstairs, including some that never made it to the 'official' TT and TL stage.

I have all the recordings on my ipod, so I can pick them very easily.

But for this one, there is no need to do any trouble. I really don't like it. If it is TD or not. No one knows. There is hardly any real music on it to hear. Only screming, birds and more of this. I have heard it again now, but assume that will be the last time.Sorry.
Did think about taking the ipod route but decided against it since I'm not too clever with small electronic devices. I've lost a few PDA's, phones, CD players, etc in my time. I currently investigating a Brennan 500 GB HD music system. It's small and got good capacity but I'm a little worried about finding tracks and playing them back.

As for this Tree release, if it's the one I'm thinking of, I tend to agree. Not something I would go out of my way to listen to again. It's a bit like Electronic Meditation, it gives insight into the early workings of TD, so worth a listen at least once, but it's not a pleasant listening experience.
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Does anyone know if, in fact, the music is or isn't TD? (wouldn't mind ditching the disc to save some space)
Sfearical Sequence

Post by Sfearical Sequence »

Should it be officially expunged from the Tree, then? (for a loose definition of 'official'). Is there any way to positively ID this thing? Could it have been Ash Ra Tempel, rather than TD? It sounds a bit like them.
epsilon75

Post by epsilon75 »

I wonder if EF can remember it after all these years.........
Cyclone

Post by Cyclone »

The Tree people didn't ID TT59 as TD. The liner notes:

bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

I have analysed this recording using my nems clarke (built for nasa and used by the CIA wot are secret service, look it up) FM broadcast receiver that is so powerful it can hear recordings from 1968......I have come to the conclusion that it could well be TD.. but possibly not, due to the music not having any sequencer sections wot is a TD trademark from 1974-75 and is the subject of wild fan speculation on who did what when zzzzzzzzz :P

Im off to tune into the radio 4 budget special from 1974 :D
...The wise.....are silent.....
burningbrain

Post by burningbrain »

24db wrote:that's what I thought...but I decided not to say anything ;)
Why? Feel free to say that you think.