...the best guitar solo by Edgar ever
20%
...one of the best guitar solos by Edgar
70%
...not as good as the good old 70s solos
10%

Total votes: 10

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Exclusive: Sun Gate / Sungate video clip

Post by Detroit Snackbar Dreamer »

It was quite an effort to get this off a 20 year old VHS tape, but since it never seemed to show up on YouTube I had to do it myself. :wink:

Here's a probably ultra-rare clip of Sun Gate/Sungate, recorded from German television in 1989. In my opinion, this track also has the best guitar work ever on a TD track, together with Ride On A Ray.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu261-AZ8mw

(HTML embedding not possible here?)

My guess it that maybe this was even only shown once, since the choreography and directing both don't look 100% perfect. It's more like "one-take-only". :wink:

I wonder if some of the decoration on stage has also been used at the East Berlin concert in 1990? I have an audience video of that, too, somewhere. This also doesn't seem to have shown up on YouTube yet, if I am correct?

Anyway, enjoy - you saw it here first! :D

By the way, I only just stumbled across Wadephul's solo CD which seems to sound a lot like Optical Race - but it doesn't seem to be available any more through "Manikin Records"?
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

Well, I'm quite surprised to find out that Sun Gate is the property of Sony Music Entertainment and therefore seems to be blocked at least in Germany...

As far as I know, the track has been re-released on TDI/eastgate several times. So I thought the rights are now owned by TDI/eastgate, especially since Private Music doesn't even exist any more. I never heard of TD having anything to do with Sony Music?! :shock:

Quite bizarre indeed... Such mechanisms only prevent people from gaining new interest into an old track - and maybe even from buying it. Anyway, I'll re-upload it somewhere else for the Germans. :roll:
Beaubourg

Post by Beaubourg »

Thanks for posting! It's actually quite excellent considering its "vintage" nature. You could tell they were aiming to target a more mainstream audience with the lighting and stage direction of the band members. Thanks very much! PS. was Ralf still in the band in '89 (didn't think so) - or was it that it was simply aired then?
Desert_Voyager

Post by Desert_Voyager »

It was great to see that for the first time and it's a shame that Sony buy the rights to things that they will probably never release, like all of the Mike Hammer series from the 80s aswell.
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer wrote:Well, I'm quite surprised to find out that Sun Gate is the property of Sony Music Entertainment and therefore seems to be blocked at least in Germany...

As far as I know, the track has been re-released on TDI/eastgate several times. So I thought the rights are now owned by TDI/eastgate, especially since Private Music doesn't even exist any more. I never heard of TD having anything to do with Sony Music?! :shock:

Quite bizarre indeed... Such mechanisms only prevent people from gaining new interest into an old track - and maybe even from buying it. Anyway, I'll re-upload it somewhere else for the Germans. :roll:
Didn't Sony buy BMG? BMG bought Private Music I thought as well so if this is all true then Sony ends up owning Private Music.
Cyclone

Re: Exclusive: Sun Gate / Sungate video clip

Post by Cyclone »

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer wrote:... By the way, I only just stumbled across Wadephul's solo CD which seems to sound a lot like Optical Race - but it doesn't seem to be available any more through "Manikin Records"?
The Wadephul Solo CD is still available in the Spheric Music Online Shop.
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

TheMan wrote:Didn't Sony buy BMG? BMG bought Private Music I thought as well so if this is all true then Sony ends up owning Private Music.
Thanks for the information, I wasn't aware of that. This explains it of course. It's still ridiculous though, because all that Sony does with it is block it, but not sell it... :?

Thanks also for the hint on the Wadephul CD! 8)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Brilliant clip, p. l. a. y. b. a. c. k. or not. 8)

We really need a DVD from this era.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

There must be some automatism at work there. No way the clowns from Sony Music sit there all day and compare each uploaded clip with their catalogue of titles... Just my guess but could be it stays online if you deliberately spell the title wrong... :D
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

Jon wrote:Brilliant clip, p. l. a. y. b. a. c. k. or not. 8)
Just look at what the monitors show - it's not even an audio program, just the directory of some diskettes... :D

I bet none of the equipment in the clip is actually TD's. TD didn't use keyboard stands like that AFAIK. To me it looks more like everything was provided by whoever made this clip, like in a TV show.

But the whole look fits very well with late 80s TD - and I love it.
Definitely, and I can't imagine nothing was ever filmed during the tours at that time.
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

Michael66 wrote:There must be some automatism at work there. No way the clowns from Sony Music sit there all day and compare each uploaded clip with their catalogue of titles... Just my guess but could be it stays online if you deliberately spell the title wrong... :D
No, it's some kind of blacklist for sure. That's why it's so stupid - it's a computer at work. :wink:

I thought about re-uploading with a different title, might try that later. You weren't able to watch it from Germany either, richtig?
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer wrote:I thought about re-uploading with a different title, might try that later. You weren't able to watch it from Germany either, richtig?
Yep, richtig...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer wrote:
Jon wrote:Brilliant clip, p. l. a. y. b. a. c. k. or not. 8)
Just look at what the monitors show - it's not even an audio program, just the directory of some diskettes... :D

I bet none of the equipment in the clip is actually TD's. TD didn't use keyboard stands like that AFAIK. To me it looks more like everything was provided by whoever made this clip, like in a TV show.

But the whole look fits very well with late 80s TD - and I love it.
Definitely, and I can't imagine nothing was ever filmed during the tours at that time.
Which is a TOTAL disgrace.

How often did Paul play the guitar, by the way? :lol:
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

Ok, I finally found a place for the poor German fans to watch it:

http://www.megavideo.com/?d=ZFQ8N57A

If interested, you can even download it by using the same file id at megaupload.com, but the quality is not that much higher than YouTube.

Enjoy! :wink:
intercorni

Post by intercorni »

I find the following Guitar-tracks nicely:
1. Pergamon/Quichotte "Part II"
2. Lily on the Beach "Too cold for My Chinchilla"
3. Force Majeure "Cloudburst Flight"
4. Encore "Coldwater Canyon"