'the Tangs'

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

'the Tangs'

Post by 24db »

Last edited by 24db on Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pergamon_PB

Re: 'the Tangs'

Post by Pergamon_PB »

24db wrote:Prompted by Stuart Maconie playing Edgar's album Aqua on BBC Radio 6 yesterday.

Has anyone ever called Tangerine Dream as 'the Tangs' in real life? I mean fans here btw, not some DJ or Journalist.
Yes, I did along with a few other fans back in the late 70's. Not many others used this so stopped using the phrase. I think this term was probably lifted from somewhere, possibly music press at sometime. I've also heard other fans use, The Dream, T Dream. I often refer to them even now as TD.
24db

Post by 24db »

Pergamon_PB wrote:
24db wrote:Prompted by Stuart Maconie playing Edgar's album Aqua on BBC Radio 6 yesterday.

Has anyone ever called Tangerine Dream as 'the Tangs' in real life? I mean fans here btw, not some DJ or Journalist.
Yes, I did along with a few other fans back in the late 70's. Not many others used this so stopped using the phrase. I think this term was probably lifted from somewhere, possibly music press at sometime. I've also heard other fans use, The Dream, T Dream. I often refer to them even now as TD.
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Yes I do sometimes, and when I do, I refer to them as 'The Mighty Tangs.'
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:

rigel

Post by rigel »

I remember Paul Stump, in his foreword to the critical discography "Digital Gothic" (I hope it doesn't constitute a faux pas mentioning that book here :roll: ) , making a point of saying that he would not be referring to the band as "The Tangs" at any point in his book. :)

When discussing the group with a person on a recurring basis, years ago I used to refer to them as "TD", but these days it is always the full name. I have a vague memory of my big bruv calling them "The Tangs" but then on other occasions jokingly as "Satsuma Nightmare".

His record collection is what got me into the band. The three albums he had, the first three I ever listened to, were: Stratosfear, Force Majeure, and Thief. Not a bad introduction, eh? My only prior awareness of the band was that they did the soundtrack to Firestarter!
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

When speaking to people who know of TD I usually call them the Tangs..my wife calls them that all the time .
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Never referred to them as The Tangs myself..... it's usually TD or Tangerine Dream. Not that I have anything against anyone calling them The Tangs.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:

ah, it's all your fault mate ;)
most common word I use when talking to fans is "TD" then "Tangerine Dream,", of course saying "TD" to a non TD fan (or even someone who is aware of them) would give you a blank look.

Wander how the phonejacker / facejacker guy would pronounce it "tedeh"

"Hello, I want one doovde player and one pek" :lol:
TheMan

Post by TheMan »

Tee Dee
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

My guess is that it was the British music paper 'New Musical Express' that started referring to them as 'The Tangs' around the time of 'Rubycon'. This was picked up by Virgin and used extensively in the ad campaign for 'Ricochet' with music paper 'Sounds' also jumping on 'The Tangs' bandwagon.

To the best of my knowledge, the other main British music paper of the time (Melody Maker) never used 'The Tangs' name - usually referring to them as 'T. Dream', though I remember a front page headline that read 'Tangerine: Church Tour'.

Amongst my circle of friends at the time, 'The Tangs' was the name we used.
billythefish

Post by billythefish »

I'm sure I've heard the term 'The Tangs' used quite a lot at various fan-meets over the years, but I cannot place times and places. One of my house mates refers to them this way too.

Personally, it's Tee Dee for me if I am talking to someone already 'in the know'.
He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Le Combat du Sang

Post by Le Combat du Sang »

I have never called them "The Tangs". I don't like the term. If I am talking or writing about the band where others might not know them, it is always Tangerine Dream, if EM forums or groups, I will occasionally use TD, on the basis that people will be familiar with that abbreviation.

I imagine the use of "The Tangs" in advertisements back in the 70's would have come from a copywriter or ad agency, rather than from the band themselves.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

This is what I think of when someone says The Tangs:

:wink:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Chris Monk wrote:This is what I think of when someone says The Tangs:

:wink:
very pretty fish