Franke's 'Big Moog': On the case, armed with a trident

24db
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Franke's 'Big Moog': On the case, armed with a trident

Post by 24db »

I wonder if we can get an accurate date for when Chris Franke's Moog was first built into its 'infamous' flight case?. Some people told me that it was early 1975, but looking more closely at the 1974 tour programme it's now obvious that it might have October 1974 or even earlier. That promo photo of the group also shows the now legendary 'trident'. Nobody ever seemed to come up with a sensible explaination to what it was or what it did....if anything.

Any ideas?
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

the 'trident'. I have never bought the 'liberace candles' reference - well not completely, I always thought it a visual reference to the 3 members of TD.
Fritter Jr.

Post by Fritter Jr. »

I always thought it was a wry sort of joke - implying "THIS is the new classical chamber music!"
24db

Post by 24db »

anybody spot the very brief shot of Chris last night?:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Other_One/
Fritter Jr.

Post by Fritter Jr. »

24db wrote:anybody spot the very brief shot of Chris last night?:

Yeah! And was that Rick Wakeman on the rotating piano in the opening bit??
24db

Post by 24db »

Fritter Jr. wrote:

nope, Keith Emerson
Fritter Jr.

Post by Fritter Jr. »

24db wrote:
Fritter Jr. wrote:

nope, Keith Emerson
Ah right, thanks - that must've been a sight and a half.

For those without access to iPlayer (or can't be bothered to watch to whole programme....SPOILER ALERT....)

You get a quick shot of CF at 24:26. Coventry Cathedral maybe?
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Any idea how many years Chris had this trident on top of Moog Modular?
Fritter Jr.

Re: Franke's 'Big Moog': On the case, armed with a trident

Post by Fritter Jr. »

24db wrote: the now legendary 'trident'. Nobody ever seemed to come up with a sensible explaination to what it was or what it did....if anything.

Any ideas?
Obviously it is some kind of wireless transmitter, enabling Chris to wander about the stage freely. Um, hang on...
Peter Beasley

Post by Peter Beasley »

When I helped the TD road crew at Ipswich Gaumont in 1980, one of the tasks I had was to place the trident on top of Franke's modular system. I was expecting it to be a solid, heavy object made of wood or something precious. I was surprised to find it was a battered, hollow piece of plastic. When the band returned to Ipswich for the '81 tour, it had gone.
24db

Post by 24db »

Peter Beasley wrote:When I helped the TD road crew at Ipswich Gaumont in 1980, one of the tasks I had was to place the trident on top of Franke's modular system. I was expecting it to be a solid, heavy object made of wood or something precious. I was surprised to find it was a battered, hollow piece of plastic. When the band returned to Ipswich for the '81 tour, it had gone.
thanks Peter, so it didn't do a damned thing :)
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

24db wrote:
Fritter Jr. wrote:

nope, Keith Emerson
At the California Jam in 1974 to be precise. Got it on DVD somewhere. Looks spectacular but sounds terrible. May be spectacular is the wrong word....
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Peter Beasley wrote:When I helped the TD road crew at Ipswich Gaumont in 1980, one of the tasks I had was to place the trident on top of Franke's modular system. I was expecting it to be a solid, heavy object made of wood or something precious. I was surprised to find it was a battered, hollow piece of plastic. When the band returned to Ipswich for the '81 tour, it had gone.
Thanks for the info Peter
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:
a bit disappointing don't you think mate? ;) sometimes the Dream is better than the reality :)
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:
a bit disappointing don't you think mate? ;) sometimes the Dream is better than the reality :)
to be honest I was expecting the Trident to be really heavy, made of proper metal

but I guess you learn something new everyday.