Les Ponts de Cé, May 20th 1973

SequenceC
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Les Ponts de Cé, May 20th 1973

Post by SequenceC »

Les Ponts de Cé is one of my favourite TD concerts, fantastic atmospherical music.

Musically, it is close to Cologne (Nov. 25th 1972) and Saint Ouen (Nov. 20th 1973). It also sounds fairly similar to Atem (particularly the main ambient section of the title track, i.e. organ, 'tron and effects). The second track starts out very similarly to Fauni-Gena with bird sounds.

It doesn't have the best of sound quality, and at times there is slight distortion (i.e. the organs with effects), however this is a rather neat effect like ambient industrial music.

As mentioned, on a previous thread: http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/for ... php?t=3340

IMO, Les Ponts de Cé compliments Atem very nicely. IF Sanctuary were to hypothetically re-release Atem as a special edition, IMO including the concert would work very well. A fantastic studio album and a fantastic concert.

What are your opinions of this concert?
24db

Post by 24db »

I wonder if Schulze was involved?
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:I wonder if Schulze was involved?
Good question, I have no idea.

If I'm not mistaken, TD at least played in the same gig with KS in Theatre de L'Ouest (Paris) on 15.2.73 (with that infamous short youtube video).

And in addition, from this post: http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/for ... uest#61755

Klaus played with TD in Paris on 22.8.73 (Must have been when Peter was on temporary leave?)

I remember seeing a comment on Tadream, asking if Cologne '72 was in fact a KS gig (which I don't think is the case).
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, TD at least played in the same gig with KS in Theatre de L'Ouest (Paris) on 15.2.73 (with that infamous short youtube video).

And in addition, from this post: http://www.tangerinedream-music.com/for ... uest#61755
I know I posted it ;)

KS only played on the same night as TD and ART at the same theatre on Feb 1973, predating his brief reunion with TD
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

Thanks Andy
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:Thanks Andy
Lucky Schulze made it at all, TD had to give him a lift after his car or van broke down to the gig :)
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
Lucky Schulze made it at all, TD had to give him a lift after his car or van broke down to the gig :)
was it during 1969 or this era with that incident when Klaus got on Edgar's nerves because he kept dropping peanuts in Edgar's car?

:lol:
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:
24db wrote:
was it during 1969 or this era with that incident when Klaus got on Edgar's nerves because he kept dropping peanuts in Edgar's car?

The peanut 'incident' happened earlier according to KDM I seem to remember, anyway during Schulze's 8 months with the group
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:
24db wrote: Lucky Schulze made it at all, TD had to give him a lift after his car or van broke down to the gig :)

The peanut 'incident' happened earlier according to KDM I seem to remember, anyway during Schulze's 8 months with the group
Cheers Andy.

We've got our very own TD historian :wink: 8)

BTW presume you haven't heard Les Ponts de Cé in some while?
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:
24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote: was it during 1969 or this era with that incident when Klaus got on Edgar's nerves because he kept dropping peanuts in Edgar's car?

Cheers Andy.

We've got our very own TD historian :wink: 8)

BTW presume you haven't heard Les Ponts de Cé in some while?
er...not me...just a fan mate

Spot on about LPDC....sooner listen to newer stuff
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

As I've mentioned Les Ponts de Cé has similarities to Atem, for comparison, I haven't really found any concert similar to Phaedra.

Berlin Deutschlandhalle Nov. 29th 1973 was recorded just days before TD went to record the mighty Phaedra at the Manor, but it doesn't sound that similar. The concert is more 'acidic' and with various guitar parts. Unfortunatlely, I highly doubt it is the whole show as the music fades in very quickly after the radio host stops talking. I read the full title of the show was to do with German band profiles?

This would make more sense, given that they are providing a snapshot of the band, rather than airing the entire gig. And in addition, as I've mentioned previously, most gigs during that era were at least twice as long.
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:As I've mentioned Les Ponts de Cé has similarities to Atem, for comparison, I haven't really found any concert similar to Phaedra.

Berlin Deutschlandhalle Nov. 29th 1973 was recorded just days before TD went to record the mighty Phaedra at the Manor, but it doesn't sound that similar. The concert is more 'acidic' and with various guitar parts. Unfortunatlely, I highly doubt it is the whole show as the music fades in very quickly after the radio host stops talking. I read the full title of the show was to do with German band profiles?

This would make more sense, given that they are providing a snapshot of the band, rather than airing the entire gig. And in addition, as I've mentioned previously, most gigs during that era were at least twice as long.
some were much shorter...with the band legging it ;)

Sadly (once again) TD's history at this time is so badly recorded (pun intended) that it's hard to pin down how TD developed. How and why are IMHO pure guesswork. Going by Edgar's comments they didn't have the Moog until a few weeks before the Phaedra session...so we're probably talking about mid to late november at best (I'm guessing that's when JP wrote to them, but that's a shot in the dark...his letter is undated...as you know it only mentions Zeit, so it's possible that JP wrote to them far earlier...perhaps Edgar's book will shed a little light on this subject?).

Another thing to remember about the TT series is that it isn't always the longest recording that made the final disc...sometimes the producers went for quality over quantity. Also (and this is no complaint) some of the original owners of the master recordings didn't want to give up their tapes. My precious! etc etc ;)

it wasn't until circa Jan 23rd 1974 (the date of the main Berlin Court case according to the German press in October) that TD were free from their OHR records contract (or possibly later), so who knows when they got an advance from Virgin to allow them to buy the new equipment for Phaedra (not just the Moog?)
24db

Post by 24db »

SequenceC wrote:

Klaus played with TD in Paris on 22.8.73 (Must have been when Peter was on temporary leave?)

I remember seeing a comment on Tadream, asking if Cologne '72 was in fact a KS gig (which I don't think is the case).
Klaus being in TD during the autumn of 1973 ties in quite nicely with Peter Baumann's absence during the recording of Green Desert (Late August 1973?). But as most things with TD's 'lost years' if it looks too neat then I'm probably completely wrong :)
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:As I've mentioned Les Ponts de Cé has similarities to Atem, for comparison, I haven't really found any concert similar to Phaedra.

some were much shorter...with the band legging it ;)

Sadly (once again) TD's history at this time is so badly recorded (pun intended) that it's hard to pin down how TD developed. How and why are IMHO pure guesswork. Going by Edgar's comments they didn't have the Moog until a few weeks before the Phaedra session...so we're probably talking about mid to late november at best (I'm guessing that's when JP wrote to them, but that's a shot in the dark...his letter is undated...as you know it only mentions Zeit, so it's possible that JP wrote to them far earlier...perhaps Edgar's book will shed a little light on this subject?).

Another thing to remember about the TT series is that it isn't always the longest recording that made the final disc...sometimes the producers went for quality over quantity. Also (and this is no complaint) some of the original owners of the master recordings didn't want to give up their tapes. My precious! etc etc ;)

it wasn't until circa Jan 23rd 1974 (the date of the main Berlin Court case according to the German press in October) that TD were free from their OHR records contract (or possibly later), so who knows when they got an advance from Virgin to allow them to buy the new equipment for Phaedra (not just the Moog?)
Many thanks Andy
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

24db wrote:
SequenceC wrote:

Klaus being in TD during the autumn of 1973 ties in quite nicely with Peter Baumann's absence during the recording of Green Desert (Late August 1973?). But as most things with TD's 'lost years' if it looks too neat then I'm probably completely wrong :)
As you mentioned, TD were quite mysterious back then. With a lot of questions.