TD and Miami Vice music

TangFanIRL
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by TangFanIRL »

Speaking of Jan Hammer (and I am a fan), his website has been updated to celebrate 10 years internet presence:

www.janhammer.com
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

TangFanIRL wrote:Speaking of Jan Hammer (and I am a fan), his website has been updated to celebrate 10 years internet presence:

www.janhammer.com

was always a fan but not delved into his music much further than Miami Vice. maybe time to rectify that ;-)
Jon

Post by Jon »

TangFanIRL wrote:Speaking of Jan Hammer (and I am a fan), his website has been updated to celebrate 10 years internet presence:

www.janhammer.com
Wow, what a great site. First, the NOVA track from Snapshots 1.2 is brilliant, and reason enough to get the CD. The music videos were terrific, I hadn't seen most of that stuff before. Miami Vice Theme, with Jan himself acting in the video, Crockett's Theme (although I was surprised the video had non MV-actors in it), Crockett's Theme Live, Tubbs And Valerie with Jan playing, Too Much To Lose with David Gilmour, Jeff Beck and Ringo Starr!!!, and the Drive video from 1994. This stuff isn't even on youtube.

The video interviews were very good too, most of them from around the Miami Vice time, but also a great 11 minute clip from the Beyond The Mind's Eye movie premiere, and one from the Drive release.

The only irritating thing was in the archive section, all those printed interviews which are placed inside small frames that must constantly be moved around to be able to read it all.

Lots of music mp3's too, I haven't been able to listen to it all yet.

Btw, here is Hammer's newest one. Is this originally a theme from Miami Vice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxk2y6u8aJo
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

"The only irritating thing was in the archive section, all those printed interviews which are placed inside small frames that must constantly be moved around to be able to read it all. "

If you're using Internet Explorer, right click the link and select "open in new tab". The interviews/articles are then viewable easily :)
Jon

Post by Jon »

T4N63R1N3 DR34M wrote:"The only irritating thing was in the archive section, all those printed interviews which are placed inside small frames that must constantly be moved around to be able to read it all. "

If you're using Internet Explorer, right click the link and select "open in new tab". The interviews/articles are then viewable easily :)
Thanx a lot! Didn't know that.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Wouldn't it have been interesting if TD had scored Miami Vice? :lol:

Jan Hammer's atmospheric music well suited the show, and it's a crime that only a fraction is available. JH had to fight just to get The Complete Collection released. Universal made it as difficult as possible with constraints such as a limited only release. That's why the 2-CD set is going for silly money. That last price will have overtaken the equally as expensive Airwolf Themes album.

Tim Truman may have, at last, got a breakthrough in releasing his Season 5 score tracks. Fingers crossed. It's been a long time coming. :shock:
Jon

Post by Jon »

wayfarer wrote: Tim Truman may have, at last, got a breakthrough in releasing his Season 5 score tracks. Fingers crossed. It's been a long time coming. :shock:
May I ask where you got this info?

I still play my brilliant CDR of 40 minutes MV material by Truman, including two vocal songs.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

Jon wrote:
wayfarer wrote: Tim Truman may have, at last, got a breakthrough in releasing his Season 5 score tracks. Fingers crossed. It's been a long time coming. :shock:

I still play my brilliant CDR of 40 minutes MV material by Truman, including two vocal songs.

Where did you get that CDR if you dont mind me asking, you can PM me if you prefer. would love a copy myself.
Detroit Snackbar Dreamer

Post by Detroit Snackbar Dreamer »

I'm a huge fan of Hammer's MV music, and do NOT think it's a TD ripoff. Of course it sounds very "80s", just like TD sounded 80s at the time. But I could never mistake one of the MV tracks (I also own The Complete Collection) for TD - Hammer really managed to create a special soundscape for MV with a certain set of sounds. Just like TD did "their 80s".

I only wonder why he apparently turned down the offer to do music for the new MV movie a few years ago. Yes, it was different - but still great. By the way, I'm also a huge Michael Mann fan. :wink:
Jon

Post by Jon »

Detroit Snackbar Dreamer wrote:I'm a huge fan of Hammer's MV music, and do NOT think it's a TD ripoff. Of course it sounds very "80s", just like TD sounded 80s at the time. But I could never mistake one of the MV tracks (I also own The Complete Collection) for TD - Hammer really managed to create a special soundscape for MV with a certain set of sounds. Just like TD did "their 80s".

I only wonder why he apparently turned down the offer to do music for the new MV movie a few years ago. Yes, it was different - but still great. By the way, I'm also a huge Michael Mann fan. :wink:
I actually don't think he turned down the new MV movie. I don't think Mann ever asked him, he probably felt he wasn't hip enough. John Murphy (and german Klaus Badelt) did a decent job with the music, but of course I would have loved to hear Hammer.

I don't think Hammer sounded too TD-ish in MV, but from time to time there were similarities, where Hammer clearly sounded like he ripped off Beach Theme from Thief for instance.
wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

Jon wrote:

I got the info from Tim Truman himself. I've corresponded with him in the past. The recent info was posted on a Miami Vice forum;

http://www.miami-vice.org/forum/default.asp

Apart from The Beach Theme (and that really is a long shot) I can't see any similarity between Jan Hammer's scores for MV and Tangerine Dream. JH came from a jazz background and elements of that influence creeped in every so often. If we're going to compare every synthesiser artist with TD then similarities will be recognised becuase they use synthesisers. :roll: :lol:
I find it as ridiculous as comparing Peter Gabriels "The Family and the Fishing Net" and "Lay Your Hands On Me" because he used the same Fairlight presets. :wink:
24db

Post by 24db »

there certainly is a similar style between TD and Jan...albeit it fairly subtle...especially Johannes's MXR pedal distorted synth lead, it's not a million miles away from Jan's signature sound (although he goes from a more guitar like tone). Whatever the truth he's a talented guy