TD and Miami Vice music

Schmoelling in wonderland
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

TD and Miami Vice music

Post by Schmoelling in wonderland »

Hi,

I read alot of interviews from Edgar about the Miami Vice Tv serie and how he was upset to not score it. I always think that Michael Mann asked Jan Hammer to sound like TD. It is so similar. It's impossible that Jan Hammer didn't even listened to TD before scoring that TV serie. Maybe he only use the same gear as TD and it's a coincidence, but he cannot release so similar stuff without listening to TD before scoring. Even the chords structure is similar from Logos (the The Keep track (side 1, segment 4) on "Crockett's Theme".

What do you think about it ?

He, a "classic" from Jan Hammer "Crockett's Theme". :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqHJnTE ... re=related
cantosis

Re: TD and Miami Vice music

Post by cantosis »

Schmoelling in wonderland wrote:Hi,

I read alot of interviews from Edgar about the Miami Vice Tv serie and how he was upset to not score it. I always think that Michael Mann asked Jan Hammer to sound like TD. It is so similar. It's impossible that Jan Hammer didn't even listened to TD before scoring that TV serie. Maybe he only use the same gear as TD and it's a coincidence, but he cannot release so similar stuff without listening to TD before scoring. Even the chords structure is similar from Logos (the The Keep track (side 1, segment 4) on "Crockett's Theme".

What do you think about it ?

He, a "classic" from Jan Hammer "Crockett's Theme". :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqHJnTE ... re=related

Great Music, used to have it on tape when I was a teenager, was a big fan of the show and music, I am not sure he would have asked jan hammer to sound like TD even if there is some likeness, isn`t this what the majority of E music sounded like in the 80s?
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

I have Jan Hammer's Escape From Television on cd which contains alot of the themes from Miami Vice, a great sounding album. Atmospheric, moody etc. A couple years ago I picked up The best of Miami Vice by Jan Hammer on the crimson label in Woolies. There's a lot of unreleased stuff from the tv series and some new material as well. A really good album. There was a double cd released but it's quite hard to find.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:I have Jan Hammer's Escape From Television on cd which contains alot of the themes from Miami Vice, a great sounding album. Atmospheric, moody etc. A couple years ago I picked up The best of Miami Vice by Jan Hammer on the crimson label in Woolies. There's a lot of unreleased stuff from the tv series and some new material as well. A really good album. There was a double cd released but it's quite hard to find.

You could find the odd bargain in Woolies, shame it went bust, well its online but not the same.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

yeah i think i only paid £2.99 for it and ive not seen it anywhere else except online....decent lil'album.
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:yeah i think i only paid £2.99 for it and ive not seen it anywhere else except online....decent lil'album.
get some pick and mix as well when you got it? :lol:
SequenceC

Post by SequenceC »

cantosis wrote:
NAVEL OF LIGHT wrote:yeah i think i only paid £2.99 for it and ive not seen it anywhere else except online....decent lil'album.
:lol:

It was a real sign of the times when all the Woolworths stores closed down, showing there were real troubles with economy.
NAVEL OF LIGHT

Post by NAVEL OF LIGHT »

cantosis wrote:
you know it...some of those lil'mushrooms with coconut on! :lol: 8)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hammer's Miami Vice music is of course brilliant, I am one of the few who bought the 2CD "Complete Collection" before it got incredibly expensive.

But also remember that Tim Truman scored the last season of the show in 1988/89, with some dynamite music. Here is "Helicopter":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJjGwhHFNow

And "Freefall"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv76P-pbQp0

Michael Mann has always been a fan of this kind of contemporary music, here is Michel Rubini's "Graham's Theme" from Manhunter (1986):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elf0S0FOm1s
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

cheers for the links Jon, good music for the day.
24db

Post by 24db »

I seem to remember reading Chris saying he was in some ways relieved that TD hadn't won the contact to score MV as it was a long ongoing series...ironic really
cantosis

Post by cantosis »

24db wrote:I seem to remember reading Chris saying he was in some ways relieved that TD hadn't won the contact to score MV as it was a long ongoing series...ironic really

Would have been interesting to see what TD would have done for it, but to be fair to Jan I think he did a super job.
24db

Post by 24db »

cantosis wrote:
24db wrote:I seem to remember reading Chris saying he was in some ways relieved that TD hadn't won the contact to score MV as it was a long ongoing series...ironic really

Would have been interesting to see what TD would have done for it, but to be fair to Jan I think he did a super job.
I think Jan did an excellent job...although to be honest I think I only ever saw a couple of episodes, but that's more down to Michael Mann's direction than due to the content or music
sparrow

Post by sparrow »

I have the Escape from Television LP...just spent the last half hour looking for it to no avail..thought I knew wher it was but .... :cry: :x :oops:
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

Jon wrote:I am one of the few who bought the 2CD "Complete Collection" before it got incredibly expensive.
Don't know what you mean. Here it is on Amazon, going for a tiny amount. :shock:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listin ... dition=new