Artists stating TD as an influence

phaedra1974
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Post by phaedra1974 »

I remember reading an article about Aphex Twin some years ago. He said that Force Majeure was his favourite album and was the reason he get interested in electronic music.
Tropylium

Post by Tropylium »

phaedra1974 wrote:I remember reading an article about Aphex Twin some years ago. He said that Force Majeure was his favourite album and was the reason he get interested in electronic music.
If someone has an idea where, I'd be interested in the reference.
Hipgnosis

Re: Artists stating TD as an influence

Post by Hipgnosis »

Tropylium wrote:The recent TD appearence on Underworld's influences mix got me thinking. I also recall Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion etc.) vouching for Zeit recently, and Björk vouching for Romance '76 in an old interview (no idea if she still does)…
Steven's interest in a lot of the German music is no seecret and you can see him interviewing Klaus Schulze on the Rheingold CD with Lisa Garrard. It is actually pretty good and even Klaus is happy that Edgar frequented the concert. I rather think he thought it an honor from the way he said it.

Julian Cope has talked and written a lot about "krautrock", but I really don't think that TD is his bag ... I kinda think that the stoned out crazy version of rock music was more like it for him, and the likes of TD, Schulze and many others lost their appeal.

All in all, including the likes of Keyboard Magazine for Babies and Children, it's really hard to discuss this kind of music and you're not going to find a lot of articles about it ... specially in that one magazine. They loved in the early days to talk about Eno because he knew the media game and how to talk to them ... but in the end, artists like Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream will never even make the cover of those magazines ... or an article that is actually capable of showing how many pieces of equipment, these people were actually the original testers and experimenters for ... so they can learn how much others played after the fact.

I find it sad, really ... but in the end, I tend to side with Edgar about all this not good and advertising ... I like my peace of mind once in a while and would rather get the rest ... than spend time with people and situations I don't enjoy.

That said ... I would love to sit down and discuss the simple merits of a good cup of tea (or coffee or expresso) with all of you and Edgar ... and not worry about anything else! Maybe a squeeze of a tangerine just for a little joke as a sniff for us all ... but after that ... ... ...
24db

Post by 24db »

Hipgnosis wrote:
Tropylium wrote:The recent TD appearence on Underworld's influences mix got me thinking. I also recall Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree, Bass Communion etc.) vouching for Zeit recently, and Björk vouching for Romance '76 in an old interview (no idea if she still does)…
...but in the end, artists like Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream will never even make the cover of those magazines ...
really? That's odd, as I have quite a few with TD or Klaus on the cover (well...less with Klaus, but that's cos I don't actively collect cuttings on him)
Erik

Post by Erik »

i wish i could see TD somewhere
"I actually prefer RPGs and fantasise about massacring the morons at my school as Final Fantasy 7's Sephiroth. "
tangram80

Post by tangram80 »

bigmoog wrote: Genesis P Orridge has acknowledged TDs influence via zeit and virgin era on TG and PTV musick
there are more........
I just found this interview of Chris Carter also of Throbbing Gristle's fame. This is an explicit acknowledgement of admiration of TD and KS.

http://testpressing.org/2010/10/03/inte ... is-carter/

It’s no secret I was a fan of German electronic music, and not just the Berlin School. I suppose it’s fair to say Klaus Schulze and Tangerine Dream probably had some influence on my sound with their multiple threads of sequences and percussion but the introduction of a standard for syncing everything certainly made life easier for us ‘sequencer heads’.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche
tangram80

Post by tangram80 »

Can this comment by Christian Wittman of Lightwave also be considered one of those?
CW: Synthesizers such as the ARP 2600, Korg PS-3300 and Oberheim 4-Voice were closely linked to the development of electronic music during the ’70s, along with Moog equipment. We discovered these instruments through the music of artists like Tangerine Dream and Klaus Schulze – on their records and in their concerts – and we were indeed fascinated by the range of new sounds and effects possible. Such instruments were the nec plus ultra, and being able to buy them in France on the second-hand market was really achieving an old dream. In the early-’80s, analogue synthesizers still ruled, and modular synthesizers were supposed to offer the widest range of creative possibilities.
"Without music, life would be a mistake" - Friedrich Nietzsche
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:Nurse with wound (zeit and pink years and steve stapleton is immersed in krautrock)

Current93 : david tibet is on record as saying that 'zeit is the ultimate'

Genesis P Orridge has acknowledged TDs influence via zeit and virgin era on TG and PTV musick

there are more........
I saw a hilarious photo of a young GPO with William S Boroughs today in a LFF documentary :)
bigmoog

Post by bigmoog »

24db wrote:
bigmoog wrote:Nurse with wound (zeit and pink years and steve stapleton is immersed in krautrock)

Genesis P Orridge has acknowledged TDs influence via zeit and virgin era on TG and PTV musick

there are more........
I saw a hilarious photo of a young GPO with William S Boroughs today in a LFF documentary :)

most of Gen's photos are hilarious.....which one Andy?
...The wise.....are silent.....
24db

Post by 24db »

bigmoog wrote:
24db wrote:

there are more........

most of Gen's photos are hilarious.....which one Andy?
he had a big beard (I guess this was in the early seventies when GPO met WSB)
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Tropylium wrote: How many other artists — beyond the obvious cases like Redshift — there are who cite TD as an important influece? Is anyone keeping a list of this stuff?
ME.

I've written many poems under the influence and have even posted some here on this board!

But TD, to me, is not an "influence" ... it is a partner in the inner crime of dispelling the myths of the inner vision of the lady of the breast and beans on a timeless afternoon in nowhere land. Ohhh, the memories ... ohhh the visions ... ohhh the movies ... and I do not need anyone to verify my own experience! ... it's enough to know I am not the only one!