The “Chris Franke equipment research projekt” strikes again

whiteeagle
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

The “Chris Franke equipment research projekt” strikes again

Post by whiteeagle »

Hello to everyone, please have a look to the attached picture of Chris Franke’ 80’s modular construction, updated with the most reliable information I could find.

Well, I was thinking about making a (freely available) PDF study on this monstrous thing, with description and history of every device it has, etc.

Is it any interest for you to read something like this?

Of course, I’m just doing it in hobby terms – I’m not journalist and I don’t have the money to travel and doing it as it should be. :wink: :P

Most info comes from internet research, so let’s say that I just “tying the info together”.
I want to make clear that everyone that provided data or photos during the years will get a proper credit and I will ask for permission of usage of any data, etc.

The idea about it, came from a freely available PDF article I saw, about Pink Floyd’s Richard Wright equipment and of course, from this fantastic book written about Beatles’ equipment by Brian Kehew (Moog Cookbook rules!)

I contacted -via email- some engineers and technicians (such as Dr. Wolfgang Palm of PPG) but I understand that I’m asking about things done many years back. And of course I don’t speak German which is a problem.
Also, because the equipment or modifications were made by small companies or are one-person jobs, people are hard to be located.

Please tell me what you think, suggestions, etc.

Last edited by whiteeagle on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep on (Tangerine) Dreaming
har

Post by har »

Sounds interesting Whiteeagle.

Good luck with that.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Would love to help but I know nowt. Mind you I wouldn't mind hearing that beast in action again.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

sadly this beastie is scattered around Germany and other parts of the world these days - as there are various people that own devices from this.
:roll:
And yes, I would like to hear the complete version of it, in action, too :roll: but this will happen only when the time machine will be invented, or I will be unlogically rich and I'll be able to set-up an exact clone version :P
these two things are unlikelly to be happen soon :lol:

cheers - sorry for the poor English
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

whiteeagle wrote:sadly this beastie is scattered around Germany and other parts of the world these days - as there are various people that own devices from this.
:roll:
And yes, I would like to hear the complete version of it, in action, too :roll: but this will happen only when the time machine will be invented, or I will be unlogically rich and I'll be able to set-up an exact clone version :P
these two things are unlikelly to be happen soon :lol:

cheers - sorry for the poor English
Your English is great, much better than my Greek. And yep, if I win the lottery, I'd love to construct something similar. I remember, back in the 80s, sitting close to the front of the stage and being spellbound by the beast.
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it the present". - Kung Fu Panda
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

I remember, back in the 80s, sitting close to the front of the stage and being spellbound by the beast.
arrrgggg!!!!! Now, I shouldn't tell that I'm jealously green, but it's a matter of age: @1983, I was 10 years old and the only thing I knew about Tangerine Dream, was that I saw footage on the TV, from the Lycavetus concert - and being very impressed by these (old and long haired - that's what I thought back then) men, surrounded by these towers of equipment, and the big "Logos" projection circle above them.
I wasn't seriously fall in love, 'till 1996 - and here I'm now, researching the beast :P
thanks for the encouraging comment about my English - :roll:
cheers
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

whiteeagle wrote:
I remember, back in the 80s, sitting close to the front of the stage and being spellbound by the beast.
arrrgggg!!!!! Now, I shouldn't tell that I'm jealously green, but it's a matter of age: @1983, I was 10 years old and the only thing I knew about Tangerine Dream, was that I saw footage on the TV, from the Lycavetus concert - and being very impressed by these (old and long haired - that's what I thought back then) men, surrounded by these towers of equipment, and the big "Logos" projection circle above them.
I wasn't seriously fall in love, 'till 1996 - and here I'm now, researching the beast :P
thanks for the encouraging comment about my English - :roll:
cheers
It sometimes makes me feel sad that we'll never see the like again. The only band doing anything that approaches it is modern day TD and one wonders for how much longer.
GlynRichards

Re: The “Chris Franke equipment research projekt” strikes ag

Post by GlynRichards »

whiteeagle wrote:Hello to everyone, please have a look to the attached picture of Chris Franke’ 80’s modular construction, updated with the most reliable information I could find.

Well, I was thinking about making a (freely available) PDF study on this monstrous thing, with description and history of every device it has, etc.

Of course, I’m just doing it in hobby terms – I’m not journalist and I don’t have the money to travel and doing it as it should be. :wink: :P

Most info comes from internet research, so let’s say that I just “tying the info together”.
I want to make clear that everyone that provided data or photos during the years will get a proper credit and I will ask for permission of usage of any data, etc.

The idea about it, came from a freely available PDF article I saw, about Pink Floyd’s Richard Wright equipment and of course, from this fantastic book written about Beatles’ equipment by Brian Kehew (Moog Cookbook rules!)

I contacted -via email- some engineers and technicians (such as Dr. Wolfgang Palm of PPG) but I understand that I’m asking about things done many years back. And of course I don’t speak German which is a problem.
Also, because the equipment or modifications were made by small companies or are one-person jobs, people are hard to be located.

Can't see a picture :(
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
hansx

Post by hansx »

GlynRichards wrote:
whiteeagle wrote:Hello to everyone, please have a look to the attached picture of Chris Franke’ 80’s modular construction, updated with the most reliable information I could find.

Can't see a picture :(
Me neither, was thinking that it was my ipad which didn't gave then picture. :)
T4N63R1N3 DR34M

Post by T4N63R1N3 DR34M »

I see picture :?

Big Rig marked with the various components
GlynRichards

Post by GlynRichards »

Can it be found anywhere else?
public class Geeks : IEarth { }
whiteeagle

Post by whiteeagle »

I tried to upload this again:

and picture direct link:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p463 ... T-REV3.jpg

thanks
Last edited by whiteeagle on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

whiteeagle wrote:please try this like and tell me if it worked

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p463 ... 3_2011.jpg

thanks
Works fine for me but then I could see the original picture anyway.
Froesesque

Post by Froesesque »

I love all this techey stuff being an electronic musician myself, facinating! - thanks whiteeagle
You were only supposed to blow the bladdy doors off!!!!
Chris Monk

Post by Chris Monk »

Froesesque wrote: I love all this techey stuff being an electronic musician myself, facinating! - thanks whiteeagle
I'm not an EM musician but I still find it fascinating.