Edgar and TD - the Force Majeure autobiography

Hipgnosis
https://mapa.targeo.pl/kuchnie-na-wymiar-warszawa-ladna-41-97-500-radomsko~20490206/meble-wyposazenie-domu-sklep/adres

Re: Edgar and TD - the Force Majeure autobiography

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Book arrived this past week ... on it!

Very good ... very good ... very entertaining also!
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Insvims

Post by Insvims »

projekt-elektronik wrote:After having finished the book, all I can ask is: Who is Edgar Froese?

This very important question has been left unanswered in an autobiography -- there is a bunch of TD-related anecdotes but hardly anything about his personal background. Which leaves the family album snapshots a bit out-of-context...

I was also surprised to read very little about Jerome and Monica, other than what you would expect to read about people who accompanied him along the way for a while. What I read about Jerome in one of the final chapters goes to support my thoughts about the relationship within the group and the feelings after Edgar's passing.

I am glad the book is finally there but OTOH it doesn't exactly help to shed some light on the mystery.
I am only 51 pages in (and feel like I have read a whole book already; the pages are so packed with information), and just finished the chapter that covers the first tour of England in 1974. Everything about this book is great, so far. But I can also feel your concern about who is actually Edgar Froese. But maybe it was not the story about himself he wanted to tell us (he don't even have a name on his gravestone, as far as I have heard; maybe because there is no death...?). It definitely is a book about TD and not about EF. And maybe EF The Man could deserve another biography?
I cannot make myself to sneak peek on pages in a book untill I actually have read up untill that part, but I was told that the book cover the last 15-20 years of TD's career in a superficial way, and if so it disappoints me no ends, because those years means so much to me. But who knows, maybe Thorsten will write the next chapter of the TD story sometime?
The format of the book is a bit overwhelming, so hopefully there will also be a paperback at some point. And as a last note I will say that it is a bit confusing when dialog comes back to back instead of separated by line shifts. At the end of chapters througout the book there is some free space, so the reason should not be to save page count. Some more space and air in the text would be welcomed.
Otherwise a fantastic book and a wonderful product. I still have many weeks or months untill I have finished it all.
Michael66

Post by Michael66 »

If it's a book about TD, why is there an endless chapter about David Bowie in it? On the other hand, if it's a book about Edgar Froese - why do we learn almost nothing about Edgar Froese, the man, in the book?

After having almost finished the book, I feel like projekt-elektronik: "Who is Edgar Froese?"

It's an interesting book, partly an entertaining read, but to me it lacks depth. It's 350+ pages of "who did what" and "who said what" , but there's not much about "why did we do it" in it. Edgar didn't share the mystery with us.
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

Insvims wrote:[...] But maybe it was not the story about himself he wanted to tell us [...] It definitely is a book about TD and not about EF. [...]
Edgar Froese was Tangerine Dream. Without Edgar Froese, Tangerine Dream is nothing but a brand, a trademark -- you can't tell the story of TD without telling the story of Edgar Froese.

An autobiography is just that, a biography written by the biographer himself, not by someone else who will never be more than an outside observer.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
ant

Post by ant »

:) Yes, the book has episodes involving Edgar but at the end of the day, the title rather gives it away - it is a Tangerine Dream Biography, not an Edgar biography!! Also, I do not agree that because Edgar is no longer with us that Tangerine Dream is just a brand name. Yes of course Edgar formed the band and was a massive part of TD and the directions they went in but all the other members of the band made TD as well. Edgar could not have done all those years etc. on his own. You may as well say that Queen are not Queen now Freddie has gone or the Rolling Stones are not the Rolling Stones because Brian went years ago!! TD are still very much alive and carrying on the tradition in honour of Edgar - and very well they are doing it too!! :D
Biggus Dickus
projekt-elektronik

Post by projekt-elektronik »

ant wrote: [...] You may as well say that Queen are not Queen now Freddie has gone or the Rolling Stones are not the Rolling Stones because Brian went years ago!! [...]
I do in fact say so.
"Den Brüdern trau ich nicht. Den Brüdern trau ich nicht! Kommt alles vom Tonband." (Edgar Froese -- Signale aus der Schwäbischen Straße)
Jon

Post by Jon »

Insvims wrote:
projekt-elektronik wrote:After having finished the book, all I can ask is: Who is Edgar Froese?

This very important question has been left unanswered in an autobiography -- there is a bunch of TD-related anecdotes but hardly anything about his personal background. Which leaves the family album snapshots a bit out-of-context...

I was also surprised to read very little about Jerome and Monica, other than what you would expect to read about people who accompanied him along the way for a while. What I read about Jerome in one of the final chapters goes to support my thoughts about the relationship within the group and the feelings after Edgar's passing.

I am glad the book is finally there but OTOH it doesn't exactly help to shed some light on the mystery.
I am only 51 pages in (and feel like I have read a whole book already; the pages are so packed with information), and just finished the chapter that covers the first tour of England in 1974. Everything about this book is great, so far. But I can also feel your concern about who is actually Edgar Froese. But maybe it was not the story about himself he wanted to tell us (he don't even have a name on his gravestone, as far as I have heard; maybe because there is no death...?). It definitely is a book about TD and not about EF. And maybe EF The Man could deserve another biography?
I cannot make myself to sneak peek on pages in a book untill I actually have read up untill that part, but I was told that the book cover the last 15-20 years of TD's career in a superficial way, and if so it disappoints me no ends, because those years means so much to me. But who knows, maybe Thorsten will write the next chapter of the TD story sometime?
The format of the book is a bit overwhelming, so hopefully there will also be a paperback at some point. And as a last note I will say that it is a bit confusing when dialog comes back to back instead of separated by line shifts. At the end of chapters througout the book there is some free space, so the reason should not be to save page count. Some more space and air in the text would be welcomed.
Otherwise a fantastic book and a wonderful product. I still have many weeks or months untill I have finished it all.
The fact that Edgar's name is not even on his gravestone is just beyond sad. What a thing to do...... :(

I think Jerome could have written the TD story from 1990 - 2006, and then TQ from 2006 until now. Would have been great. :-D
fgourlot

Post by fgourlot »

Just to say : thank you to Bianca for the biography.

lt is a very good book. For all Tangerine Dream fans, please buy it

The Quality of the print is very good.

The DNA and the spirit of Edgar is inside this book and inside the new album Qantum Gate.

The dream continues ..

Thanks to Bianca, the Band and all Tangerine Dream Team.
François from Paris
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

Happy Holidays everyone, btw.

Purchased around this date: Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:10 am 

Arrived February 20th, 2018

Reading it ... thx Eastgate
Last edited by Hipgnosis on Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

Post by ant »

8) Jon - I think I read before that it was Edgar's wish not to have his name on the gravestone and that would make sense because he was never one for fame, he just wanted to make his music and if people liked listening to it then that was fine. He was not one for making big number one hits and having his name in magazines etc every day of every week of every year. That's the kind of man he was. :)
Biggus Dickus
Jon

Post by Jon »

ant wrote:8) Jon - I think I read before that it was Edgar's wish not to have his name on the gravestone and that would make sense because he was never one for fame, he just wanted to make his music and if people liked listening to it then that was fine. He was not one for making big number one hits and having his name in magazines etc every day of every week of every year. That's the kind of man he was. :)
Well, I don't think people choose to have their name on their gravestone because of "fame".
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

I'm already starting to think that someone ought to put together all the interviews from various places and publish it as a book ... there are some really far out bits and pieces in many of those ... and I have loved reading them over the years, even though Edgar was, on occasion, being somewhat funny and sly with his words ... and while the book, now seems interesting, going over all these articles I have saved over the years, is actually neat and far out.

One can only hope that half those jokes are in the book, although I get the feeling that it might have been cleaned out to make sure it was polite to everyone and all that ... but there is enough material to make 2, maybe even 3 books out of it all ... there are some interviews that were actually very good when the person doing the thing actually knew what they were asking and discussing ... which is always a problem ... the worst example of which was on the inet, watching some winner explain to Gary Green (Gentle Giant) what progressive music was, that Gentle Giant did not follow!

Talk about "surrealism". Even Bunuel, Dali, or Godard could not have imagined such an instance!
Hipgnosis

Post by Hipgnosis »

Hi,

thought I would post this ... emailing Eastgate to get information on a purchase I made on March 7, 2015 with post date of March 9, 2015.

Got it Feb 20th, 2018 ... reading it now